1989 Vanguard

I think I am seeing a pattern in the thread.

Those that saw both 88 and 89 live preferred the 88 show.

Those that watched them on tape or DVD are more likely to pick 89.

In my opinion it is probable that because people know that 89 was a winning show with a record high score they are more likely to have watched that show. Since 88 was not a championship show people don't go out of their way to see it.

But maybe I'm just overthinking this. :wub:

It is terribly difficult to tell on video the overall impact of a show due to all the crappy camera angles and closeups along with the lack of the visceral power of the live performance. Don't even get me started on when they do a closeup of a single guard member for 20 seconds during the part of the show that you know has the most incredible drill move of the entire night. ^0^

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

88 was better.

I'm glad I am not the only one that thinks so. For me, the energy and emotion is so much more palpable in the '88 show...besides, I am pretty sure I heard some drumline funkiness in the '89 show. Could just be me, though.

When I first watched 1989 on video, I was already a huge fan of the stage production. I've always loved the music from Phantom of the Opera, and seeing SCV perform it seemed to bring the best of two worlds together for me.

I didn't go to finals night for either year because I was too young and didn't even know what drum corps was back then. I've only seen videos and heard audio recordings of their finals performances for both nights. Having seen/heard both through recordings, I much prefer 1989. I felt the music had much better arrangement and was much more effective in delivery.

Someone had mentioned earlier that the reason a lot of people choose 1989 over 1988 is probably because 1989 is the championship year of the two. In my case, I prefer it moreso because of how I connect with the music. It feels much more emotive to me, and the even the writing is more enjoyable for me. I had chosen this as my favorite all time show far before I found out others held it in high regard.

In any case, SCVs 1989 finals performance is an example of why time machines need to be invented. No matter how good of an audio system I can build, I'll never be able to hear them perform it live like they did that night. The closest I can get to it is watching their encore performances at local shows where their brass often plays a section of it.

<3 SCV

• 3 months later...
I'm glad I am not the only one that thinks so. For me, the energy and emotion is so much more palpable in the '88 show...besides, I am pretty sure I heard some drumline funkiness in the '89 show. Could just be me, though.

There is some really bad xylo phrasing at one point too. Hurts to listen to everytime I hear it.

I didn't enjoy the 89 version of Phatom of the Opera as much as 88. I think it's very tough to do a show two years in a row because people are always going to lay one against the other.

To me, the 88 version was spectacular but....a bit uneven at times during the season. That is until Finals. The Corps really let it all hang out and delivered the goods that night. Everything just seemed to work that night. Music, Drill, and that COLORGUARD!! :tongue: They really sold the show in my opinion. Great costuming, flag and rifle work, and the charecerzations were spot on. The icing on this delicious cake was the company front (I almost lost it right there), and then the dissapering Phantom and Corps with the Phantom running from out behind the screen backfield while the crowd completley loses it. I get chills just thinking about again.

The 89 show was much more cohesive than 88 and was by far the cleanest show overall on the field that year. But....it just wasn't as much fun as 88 when it was new and fresh. At least for me. I will say this though. That company front got me again. And the tricks at the end still did their majic for me and everyone else.

i liked the baritone solo at the end before the company front in 89 better; those moments get me every time

Having been at finals both years, I conceptually liked 88 better. That said, when they didn't win in '88, in my mind, there would be no denying them in 89 regardless of what they played. DCI (Don Pescone) wasn't going to allow SCV to go the '80's with only a single title. Unfortunately, Regiment picked the wrong year to have a very good show.

RM

Edited by Rocketman

IMHO

I was fortunate enough to see both 88 and 89 and by far preferred the 88 show. When it was announced Madison had won in 88 (no disrespect here) I swear you could have heard a pin drop. Just about everyone around us were stunned. BTW 88 was the year that DCI in it's infinite wisdom decided to keep semis' scores secret and then average them with Finals' scores.

I'm no big PR fan but they should have won in 89.

Again, IMHO