1989 Vanguard

The entire 80s decade was a good one for SCV. Even as a BD fan that could stoop low for criticism during that era, I was always begrudgingly impressed with every single show. Not many staged so much so well during that age, and no one did it year-in, year-out like Vanguard.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally hated it compared to 1988. The brass seemed out of control in 89, and the show just didn't do anything special that the 88 show did. The arrangements were rather "cut and paste" and had little continuity.

I tend to agree with you. I thought the drums were "out of control" at times, too, in '89. One big difference between the years that never seems to get mentioned was how the '88 show had to evolve after a somewhat shaky start to the season (picture ragged drill sets, green pants, and black capes on the entire corps) and against a sterling-clean Blue Devils corps all season. By contrast, the '89 corps showed up ready for the knockout punch from the very beginning, but it did have a much more contrived quality about it.

For those who were there, what did it feel like when they had the company front? Im a sucker for those.

Seeing the '89 show in Bakersfield, it was as solid as a brick wall.

...and what a treat it was at DCI West at Stanford to hear the BD/SCV/Alumni Combine close the night out with a very gracious "Music of the Night".

My memory was of 88 being a beautiful show, and 89 being a powerful show. People loved the 88 show, so when SCV decided to do it again, with a more mature corps, there was huge hype for it, and they just HAD to come out with a raw powerhouse approach. The rivalry between SCV and Phantom made a great climax, with either show a worthy winner. Regiment that year was the loudest and best-sounding drumcorps I have ever heard. People were so INTO these two shows... I remember one kinda goofy guy with a cape following SCV on tour screaming from the stands at every show. Back then all the corps played such beautiful tunes (the whole tunes, not just quotes from tunes), you'd see hundreds of people all around you crying, it was so beautiful.... even big macho biker-type dudes sobbing like babies. Those Phantom of the Opera shows epitomized that. (1986 Sky Ryders too).

I thought the 88 version was far better. It's as if the 89 corps made a statement 'we didn't win with this last year, we #### well better this year'. Great execution and all, but not even close to being one of my favorite SCV shows.

Also have to have some luck &/or political pull - they weren't DQ'd (or even penalized) for two overage members. It was the 'repaint the hash marks' controversy of 89. Yeah - the pulled them for last show or two, but everythin they accomplished to that point was with them marching.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Also have to have some luck &/or political pull - they weren't DQ'd (or even penalized) for two overage members. It was the 'repaint the hash marks' controversy of 89. Yeah - the pulled them for last show or two, but everythin they accomplished to that point was with them marching.

Royer was unaware of it, as the two had provided the corps with falsified documentation on their age. As soon as he found out (someone from the UK marching in another corps blew the whistle) he threw them out ... on the spot. There was no organizational attempt to cheat or defraud, and the DCI BOD decided that the Vanguard had been acting in good faith and shouldn't be penalized.

Don't see any issues here.

Copying my post from the thread mentioned in the original post.

[Ridiculously biased statement from PR fan still a little annoyed even after almost 20 years]

"I seriously have always thought the 88 SCV Phantom of the Opera show was MUCH better than the 89 SCV Phantom of the Opera show and have never understood why people idolize that 89 show so much. With SCV's soloists fracking away and marching holes in the drill I never understood the record high score."

[/Ridiculously biased statement from PR fan still a little annoyed even after almost 20 years]

Some people say that the holes and the fracking soloists shouldn't count against them. It's the world championships. Everything counts. There were also some drill sections that were clearly blown. One that comes to mind is two squares/diamonds sliding together and the one of the sides was clearly messed up and didn't match the other as they passed through each other. It is tough to swallow the record high score and championship when there were really obvious large mistakes going on during the performance. Almost everyone around me in the stands was shocked when the scores were announced.

And yes, I have already admitted to my bias. B)

At least after all this time I don't actually get mad when I think about it anymore. :)

I liked 88 much better, and I also thought the 88 drumline was better.