Should the season count for more?

Besides, why not reward corps who turn it on at the end of the season (also see MLB, NBA) and are 'hot' at the right time, than reward the corps that come out polished at the top of the season and then lose momentum and go flat towards the end.

Because we don't wait till the end of the season to "turn on" ticket prices.

Personally, I don't think I'm ready to embrace a season-long point system for determining DCI rankings. But I can see the point raised by it's proponents.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But the average ticketbuying fan is *not* going to multiple shows over multiple weeks. Most go to one, and those that go to two or three follow for a weekend, where little would change anyhow.

Yeah, but the DCI Fan Network's video coverage of focus shows is providing another mechanism by which DCI sells fans on viewing the same corps in back-to-back weeks. (Octavia9299 already pointed this out, I see....)

Perhaps some kind of Season Cup Chase like someone mentioned. Peg it with one of those national advertisers DCI keeps coming up with lately. 10 points at major regionals where everyone is in attendance, 5 points for split regionals where two are on the same day/weekend half a country away. Total can even be used to determine 1/4 finals performance order to sooth the Academy haters...

Please, no. We almost have the seeding system fixed - let's not regress now.

I read all of the posts, and frankly, I don't believe that the regular season should be factored in any way. To me, one of the great things about drum corps is that it is kind of like a horse race. You can be in the lead, just off the lead, or 30 lengths back in the middle of the "race", and that does not indicate where you will finish up. Although it has been awhile, corps have made incredible strides to make finals in some years, and there have also been some huge strides up the ladder at all levels, and some falls as well. It's that final product that is going to matter, and that makes drum corps a unique sport. Frankly, I would like to see all seedings eliminated, and have all of the open competitors draw for positions....however, I realize I am in the minority there, and it won't happen.

I went to some late June/early July shows, and I felt the corps this year were better prepared than in many years. If a corps is not fully prepared at the beginning of the year, it should show up in their score, no matter who they are.....that will "get it done" in a hurry.

GB

OK, this is just a thought-out-loud...

Why do we ignore the regular season for our championship? All we do is seed, and then everyone is in. Just out of curiosity, tell me what you think of this:

In the "regular season", take all of the "regional" shows, i.e. a full DCI panel/weekend show, (plus championships Thursday), and determine the % behind the winner for each corps. Average that percentage over all regional shows, and determine the top 12 based on that. Finalists are determined, and the championship is determined on the field -- Friday is the 13-2# show, and Saturday is the final 12.

Why? Same reason NASCAR does the Chase, the FedEx cup is in golf, etc. It makes the regular season mean something.

Right now, we have 2 months of exhibition pre-season, and 3 days of competition. The problem is that when everyone makes the playoffs, the regular season doesn't mean as much. Whether this is a good formula or not, I'd like to see the regular season count for more than nothing...

Thoughts?

Huh? When I marched we never "ignored" the shows other than Championships?!?! Every show was important, every show was a stepping stone to improve and work towards the big show in August. You can't really have Championships without every show along the way...Drum Corps would seem pretty hollow if everything was "exhibition" up until August. Corps are judged and critiqued every night and they take that input and use it to refine their show...some of those regionals are very important and I definitely remember some very satisfying retreats...and some real downers...both of which are part of the experience. Hello people...Drum Corps is NOT JUST about winning Championships!!!!!

I read all of the posts, and frankly, I don't believe that the regular season should be factored in any way. To me, one of the great things about drum corps is that it is kind of like a horse race. You can be in the lead, just off the lead, or 30 lengths back in the middle of the "race", and that does not indicate where you will finish up. Although it has been awhile, corps have made incredible strides to make finals in some years, and there have also been some huge strides up the ladder at all levels, and some falls as well. It's that final product that is going to matter, and that makes drum corps a unique sport. Frankly, I would like to see all seedings eliminated, and have all of the open competitors draw for positions....however, I realize I am in the minority there, and it won't happen.

I went to some late June/early July shows, and I felt the corps this year were better prepared than in many years. If a corps is not fully prepared at the beginning of the year, it should show up in their score, no matter who they are.....that will "get it done" in a hurry.

GB

I think in '83 there was some randomness to Prelims (no quarterfinals) performance order...we went on dead last and got 8th that year.

GB

SOLD