Did They March?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you quit, then no. If you were injured, then yes. Injuries are taking a massive hit "for the team." And that counts, IMO.

And that's my short answer. My longer answer is that a person who goes through the trouble of marching with the corps and has their reasons for not marching still deserves the respect of the institution for having gotten that far, and for having grown with the corps and hopefully gotten something out of it that has influenced the way they will live their lives from then on (because I think corps does that). And in that respect, if I hear that someone "came to camps" or something, then I still feel like they were part of the corps, in some small way. But "full member," see answer above.

Edited by festive

We had a guy quit the tenor line in '92 mid-season. I can't even remember his name.

Which corps?

I think it depends on the reasons you had to leave the corps. If it were something out of your control, some benefit should be extended.

I was not all that impressed with people that left corps for things like "band camp", "drum major camp", and "school." :)

Which corps?

Doesn't really matter. Suffice it to say that it was a top 12 corps and the person said "It wasn't what they expected."

I would have "expected" them to figure out things sooner. C'est la vie. No big loss, really. We marched 3 and were fine :)

I didn't finish the 1983 season but that's because my corps quit me by folding in mid-July.

Part of me still hurts over that.

What about when about a quarter of the staff quits in July. How does that figure into things?

My main instrument is the saxophone. In HS I became a big Drum Corps fan and decided I was going to learn a brass instrument and try to march Phantom Regiment. My dad was a brass instructor for a corps in the 70's and a HS band director so he taught me to play baritone.

Worked my butt off and went to the audition weekends. Somehow managed to make the final cut and grab the last Euphonium spot. Stepped in a hole, broke my ankle and never marched a show. Did I mention I was three kinds of mad?

I certainly don't tell people that I marched Phantom.

no.

there may be gray areas, but in the end no.

Depending on why you quit would change how you are remembered (if at all) "you remember joe? he marched part of 03 and went home because of his knee?" as opposed to "remember joe, he was whipped by is girlfriend and bailed on the contra line mid season in 03" i guess in either situation they are forver affiliated but you never say they marched they whole year. they always come with a disclaimer when you mention the year they "marched"