Attendance Announcement?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about U of California stadium? What would concert side hold there? Saw that on TV for the Tennessee game the other day. Looked like a bowl, so maybe the same problems. Anybody?

Yeah. Did you see how many fans sat outside the stadium and watched the game from outside the stadium, up on that hill? It is just like the Rose Bowl (as was Stanford stadium before being renovated)

San Diego is too far south, but the Chargers' stadium would be preferrable to the Rose Bowl again. Seattle (though not CA) would be too far north. Sorry, guys. Maybe a regional?

Too far south? A 2 hour drive from the Rose Bowl (130 miles). That's it. Not too mention how logistically great San Diego is. Everything is right there. I did the drive twice that weekend for quarters and finals.

The reason why the Rose Bowl won out is mainly because of how many they could pack in. DCI knew this would be a huge crowd, being the first time championships held on the west coast. Also, the Chargers had a preseason game that saturday of Finals. Can't blame them for wanting to cram in as many folks as possible. Common sense.

I think this Finals is 95% great. I think this finals will really have a very positive effect, which will trickle through many channels.

Well people who were there are saying things like 38,000 for finals night and I'd like to see DCI come out with a number near that if possible. It would quiet a few doubters and add fuel to bringing finals back to CA for the off year from Indy.

I won't go back. The two places I went to shows in CA (SD and Pasadena) were horrible. I'd rather go to Buffalo or Denver or even Orlando. JMHO.

How about U of California stadium? What would concert side hold there? Saw that on TV for the Tennessee game the other day. Looked like a bowl, so maybe the same problems. Anybody?

I've never been to Memorial Stadium, but if it's current seating is anything like Stanford's old arrangement (cramped), I wouldn't pick it. I don't know if it would have good parking areas for corps buses & trucks. It does look nice (estimated to hold around 73,000), but I'd like to see it for myself. Unlike Stanford's old venue, it doesn't have a track, so the seating is closer and I imagine it might be similar to the Stagg Stadium at the University of the Pacific in Stockton (for those who have been to the Moonlight Classic).

Besides, the stadium sits above the Hayward Fault and needs some major renovation.

If anyone of you in Ohio can knock on the doors at Cedar Fair (owners of Great America Amusement Park in Santa Clara), tell them they should reaaaaaally consider the new 49ers stadium in the parking lot at Gr.Am. That could really be a prime spot for DCI to come to.

Edited by Wildabeast

Back to the original topic, the story in the current issue of Drum Corps World on DCI Div. I finals says attendance was "more than 24,000." So apparently it was more than 24,000 and less than 25,000.

Back to the original topic, the story in the current issue of Drum Corps World on DCI Div. I finals says attendance was "more than 24,000." So apparently it was more than 24,000 and less than 25,000.

So that sounds FAR less than what folks here (who said they were at finals) estimated. I was hearing figures over 35,000 and now it appears that if your conjecture is accurate, it was a nice crowd, but nowhere near record breaking as some claimed.

So that sounds FAR less than what folks here (who said they were at finals) estimated. I was hearing figures over 35,000 and now it appears that if your conjecture is accurate, it was a nice crowd, but nowhere near record breaking as some claimed.

the people speculating were probably thinking total bodies in the stands and not paid attendance, which is what DCI uses for it's official count. Remember all competing corps members from corps that didn't make finals get a free pass into the stadium finals night. So there's quite a few bodies that are at the show but aren't in the official paid attendance count.

the people speculating were probably thinking total bodies in the stands and not paid attendance, which is what DCI uses for it's official count. Remember all competing corps members from corps that didn't make finals get a free pass into the stadium finals night. So there's quite a few bodies that are at the show but aren't in the official paid attendance count.

So that's 10 Div. Is and what...13 II/IIIs. Let's say on average, with instructors, volunteers, members...150 per corps. Rounding up let's call it 3500 unpaid seats...so..24,500 (average according to DCI Today) plus 3500 doesn't top 30,000 which people were speculating would be the low end of this year's finals attendance.

So...more than likely the numbers will be

24,500 roughly paid

28,000 total in the house

Still a nice crowd mind you, but far from record setting.

Let's count the ways...

First, baseball teams have their own stadiums and the teams do the count themselves in a stadium they do this for 81 times a year. Familiarity with the process and the surroundings helps. DCI has always lacked that. Perhaps in Indy. Yes, yes--show us the picture in Montreal.

Second, like the man said, DCI ain't MLB. Non-profit mentality vs. overpriced, all-profit mentality. Completely different beasts.

Third, maybe they're holding out to announce on the broadcast 9/5??

Lastly, I heard nothing but griping about California. Traffic. Stadium entrances. Housing problems. Hashmarks. Oh, that was just one person. The only nice thing was the weather, and indoor takes care of that. 38,000 complaints? Send everybody to Texas in the off-year. Dallas is about to finish Jerry World (actually Arlington) which seats 80+ thousand. Perhaps 100,000? Don't remember the number, but it's big. And if you put world championships in Texas during marching band rehearsals you'll get more band-O's in the stands (and buying souvenirs, I might add!) than many finals have had total attendance! Jerry World will be air-conditioned, too, so nice weather conditions, of sorts. And housing...did I mention the housing sites available??

Geez, let's see. Need 40-60 housing sites. No problem. I think we have enough junior high's and high schools in mid-cities to adequately provide every corps with multiple fields, multiple gyms, plenty of showers, and school no longer starts until the end of August--free reign of the facilities! Less than an hour's drive in traffic for every corps.

Oh, and did I mention the Bar-B-Q and Tex-Mex is exquisite? Hmm, might have to put together a package including catering for all the corps for dinner finals week. Yummy, yummy!

Let's not forget the 60 yard wide, 70 foot tall screen that will be hanging over the field for all to enjoy. Plus... I live 15 minutes from there. B)