How does '07 BD Compare?

How come when the Blue Devils win with a show that isn't the super greatest show on earth, people question its validity and its place among other shows. But when the Cavaliers win with a show that definitely has problems and some say should not have won, everyone slops on the congratulations and the questions go away. I am speaking mainly of '01 and '04. Why didn't these shows get scrutinized like this years BD show. And don't tell me that those shows don't have issues just like this BD show, have you actually listened to those hornlines? Anyway, I just think its interesting how the two corps get treated when it comes to winning.

Im all over the cavaliers when it comes to winning :P . Not in 04 really, but 06 and to a lesser extent, 01. Never saw that one live, and I wasnt really around, but im not sure what you're getting at. Every championship has its issues. God...imagine if the cadets had won this year - we'd need a new forum :P

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come when the Blue Devils win with a show that isn't the super greatest show on earth, people question its validity and its place among other shows. But when the Cavaliers win with a show that definitely has problems and some say should not have won, everyone slops on the congratulations and the questions go away. I am speaking mainly of '01 and '04. Why didn't these shows get scrutinized like this years BD show. And don't tell me that those shows don't have issues just like this BD show, have you actually listened to those hornlines? Anyway, I just think its interesting how the two corps get treated when it comes to winning.

You know I was wondering that too. The end of this year seems to have a very edgy feel to it. Perhaps it's just DCP and not fans everywhere. Hard to tell because I don't talk to much corps people in the off season. I think people are on edge for various reasons: narration, judging, level of difficulty in shows versus execution. I also think championships being on the west affected some people as well. BD wins, SCV gets some love and moves up, Academy almost makes it in and beats many traditional favorites of the fans, Pacific Crest gets into semifinals. West did well this year, but as we know the pendulum is always swinging.

Because DCP is Cadet-central. Anything and everything Cadets do is superior, and those that dont jump on the bandwagon are inferior types of fans who know nothing.

Cavaliers get their criticism from "them" too.

~G~

You know, you really took the one ignorant part of his post (which was understandably ignorant since he hasnt been around long), and really expounded upon it, ignoring the fact that it was generally humble and respectful. I mean, someone that marched actually admitting that they deserved it and being honest about it...what more do you want. I certainly dont go around checking the posting history of every person on here, and other people brought up those points about you in a much more consise way than even you did yourself. Basically you didnt have to be such a dick :P
I get called out, I respond and I get scolded ?? And by someone I dont even include in my rantings ?? Talk about blind loyalty. Sorry but his entire posts had no grounds for creation, I aint blindly praising anyone, anything for any reason whatsover. Yes, he included his "PC" version for all the supporters (didnt think you would be the first......wow) BUt he also took a jab about BD and class, no reason as that had nothing to do with his post or my response. Sorry, my response was a defense and held back, his was just sour grapes...wrong from the beginning and not a case of two wrongs dont make a right.

~G~

Uh oh...looks like I've created a monster.

Uh oh...looks like I've created a monster.

LOL! nah...at least not on my part, keepeth sending thy defenders and thou shall slayeth them down........in reality who cares, BD won, the show was great, disgruntled "others" cant take it away, for years their decree that DCP is no reflection on the real world is now biting them in the butt. To most just an extra outlet of their drum corps experience.....to some , its all they got !

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

Now that the year is over and we've had a little bit of time to think about it, where do the 2007 Concord Blue Devils compare to other DCI world champions or other Blue Devils championship corps?

BD had a pretty sizeable win margin, and won all the major regionals. Pretty dominating Corps this 2007 Blue Devils were compared to many DCI Champions. Anytime you win Finals by more than .6 tenths, that's a lot by Championship night standards. That's my take from the competition side. From the enjoyment side, my guess the BD '07 were perhaps a little ahead of their time and perhaps did not get the benefit in some quarters for the precise execution of some of their subtle but brilliantly creative moves and musical nuances. My guess, they'll be appreciated by more fans for these things in successive generations perhaps more attuned to these brilliant subtleties. But time will tell.

I don't know, I think every year no matter who wins there's always scrutiny over it by some people. This year you have a second place corps which, even for people like me that hated the narration, you have to admit they played and marched the hell out of their show. Before the scores were announced, I honestly thought they outperformed BD in finals night, though I really wanted to see BD win. And of course, both BD and Cadets were within a tenth of each other at several shows in the week leading up to finals. With two corps that close, there's going to be some scrutiny.

BD had a pretty sizeable win margin, and won all the major regionals. Pretty dominating Corps this 2007 Blue Devils were compared to many DCI Champions. Anytime you win Finals by more than .6 tenths, that's a lot by Championship night standards. That's my take from the competition side.

Except the DCI West at Stanford the week before finals, where Cadets won by three tenths. Was that not considered a 'major' regional? And don't forget at semifinals they were only 5 hundreths of a point apart...

BD had a pretty sizeable win margin, and won all the major regionals. Pretty dominating Corps this 2007 Blue Devils were compared to many DCI Champions. Anytime you win Finals by more than .6 tenths, that's a lot by Championship night standards. That's my take from the competition side. From the enjoyment side, my guess the BD '07 were perhaps a little ahead of their time and perhaps did not get the benefit in some quarters for the precise execution of some of their subtle but brilliantly creative moves and musical nuances. My guess, they'll be appreciated by more fans for these things in successive generations perhaps more attuned to these brilliant subtleties. But time will tell.

Nicely stated and written more brilliantly than I ever could. My sentiments exactly.