How does '07 BD Compare?

Alright, another question for you to chew over:

In your personal opinion, how do the '07 Blue Devils compare to the '76 Blue Devils when it comes to entertainment?

Keep in mind, this is not a loaded question. I personally LOVE both shows.

I hate to dissect your question, but this DOES become a loaded question when you use the term "entertainment" because people have different definitions.

For me? I break down the entertainment factor for drum corps into two areas: visual and musical.

Visually, I'd rather watch 2007...by a lot!

Musically, I'd listen to 1976...by a little. I like each show's musical offering, but in 1976 they could focus on the music a little more because the decreased visual demands. That, and having 13 minutes to perform a show gave you ampple time to fully develop a piece of music.

Edited by pags

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD had a pretty sizeable win margin, and won all the major regionals. Pretty dominating Corps this 2007 Blue Devils were compared to many DCI Champions. Anytime you win Finals by more than .6 tenths, that's a lot by Championship night standards. That's my take from the competition side. From the enjoyment side, my guess the BD '07 were perhaps a little ahead of their time and perhaps did not get the benefit in some quarters for the precise execution of some of their subtle but brilliantly creative moves and musical nuances. My guess, they'll be appreciated by more fans for these things in successive generations perhaps more attuned to these brilliant subtleties. But time will tell.

very well put. I believe BD is going to be the next STAR!!! :doh::worthy::doh:

How come when the Blue Devils win with a show that isn't the super greatest show on earth, people question its validity and its place among other shows. But when the Cavaliers win with a show that definitely has problems and some say should not have won, everyone slops on the congratulations and the questions go away. I am speaking mainly of '01 and '04. Why didn't these shows get scrutinized like this years BD show. And don't tell me that those shows don't have issues just like this BD show, have you actually listened to those hornlines? Anyway, I just think its interesting how the two corps get treated when it comes to winning.

Simple answer...selective reading. If you honestly think the Cavaliers don't get criticized when they win, you're either blind, a liar, or just not paying attention.

I get called out, I respond and I get scolded ?? And by someone I dont even include in my rantings ?? Talk about blind loyalty. Sorry but his entire posts had no grounds for creation, I aint blindly praising anyone, anything for any reason whatsover. Yes, he included his "PC" version for all the supporters (didnt think you would be the first......wow) BUt he also took a jab about BD and class, no reason as that had nothing to do with his post or my response. Sorry, my response was a defense and held back, his was just sour grapes...wrong from the beginning and not a case of two wrongs dont make a right.

~G~

Ehh...sorry if it came off sounding the wrong way...the last line was pretty much in jest although it obviously wasnt taken as such (i expected the last word to be edited....obviously wrong there). His PC version as you call it, is hardly fake, as he has acted with the same class in several other threads (something about posting history eh?) I personally know you dont blindly praise BD, well, not too much anyway. And just because you didnt include me doesnt mean I'm always going to be agreeable :P . I think the last poster kinda hit something though....

It is what it is. The 2000's are the 2000's and the 90's are the 90's. If you transplant this show back then, maybe it wows everybody for technical proficiency but (using others' words) not so much with the feet and marching/playing. Sorry, one of the areas that, to this point, I have paid the least attention to.

Bring 94 BD to today and perhaps it competes in technical proficiency--perhaps it ranks in the middle of the pack. But the show is a bit more entertaining than average. So it goes both ways.

Strictly from a "what it is" standpoint, I think if BD 07 were any year prior to 2000 (easily, and maybe a few since), I think it goes undefeated. It practically did after, what?--Centerville?? Blooo put the fear of dog in them and they rattled off a pretty good series of wins until Stanford including San Antonio, then took all three in Pasadena. Pretty impressive corps.

I've said the same about Cadets, too. VERY proficient across the board. Transport this year's version to prior years and it has a chance at undefeated also. Maybe not as much as BD, what with the start, but astounding quality!

Alright, another question for you to chew over:

In your personal opinion, how do the '07 Blue Devils compare to the '76 Blue Devils when it comes to entertainment?

Keep in mind, this is not a loaded question. I personally LOVE both shows.

Can't exactly answer based on knowledge. I'm least familiar with the 70's DC shows in general--personal preference. No offense intended.

So I'd have to say 07. Big fan of the visual and I rate modern (2000's) marching speeds and other visual aspects as my preference to older ones. Late 80's, with a few earlier exceptions, onward are my cup of tea.

Except the DCI West at Stanford the week before finals, where Cadets won by three tenths. Was that not considered a 'major' regional? And don't forget at semifinals they were only 5 hundreths of a point apart...

Word. Stanford was the final major regional, it was the final big dueling weekend, and Cadets won both days.

I'd say that BD 07 (IMO) is very similar to 1995 for me...although not quite as dark.

For the simple reason that I loved 1995, I'd put it on equal footing with their 1994 and 1996 productions....but 1986 is still their best. :)

Being a "drum" guy, I missed the "crazy tenor action" from BD this year. Saw them warming up in the parking lot @ semis, and missed the craziness in the tenor line like the past 2 years. THis was my first finals since '95, and I thought some of the shows were kinda ho-hum. BD really didn't do anything for me this year. Liked Carolina and Cavaliers. Would have liked Cadets much better without talking (not going to beat that dead horse anymore). Looking back, I loved '88, '89 and '90 Devs. '91 was pretty good (drumline had some issues, IIRC). Can't even remember what the heck they did in '92 (and I was on tour all summer...you'd think I'd remember). Haven't got a clue what they did in '93 (must have been forgettable). LOVED '94 & '95. First half of '07 BD was exciting (for me). Last half was a yawn. Just my .02.