Moving Battery

I'll first apologize for my laziness in that I'm not doing my own research.

I'd like to know about the evolution of batteries moving in shows. In the 70s the battery pretty much floated up and down midfield. Who decided to incorporate them more into the drill, and about when did this evolution take place?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that the Cadets would have to take most of the credit for that in the early eighties. It's possible that SCV explored the concept with the use of asymetrical drill in 1980.

Topic moved to historical forum. You might find your answer here :)

Pete Emmons...

Didn't 27th Lancers move the battery off the 50 first in 1979?

I went back to watch the dvd's and they did move the battery off the 50 in 79, whether they were the first one, well I'm sure Lancerlegend can answer this question better then I can. :)

What do you guys mean by "Moving battery"? Are we talking about drums?

It took them THAT long to move drums?

Edited by dccorpsfan

What do you guys mean by "Moving battery"? Are we talking about drums?

It took them THAT long to move drums?

Back in the day, drumlines just moved up and down the 50 (elevator drill)....so they moved, but not laterally.

Peace,

CuriousMe

If you go a little farther back in history, corps started in the end zone and the battery was more integrated into the overall drill, as was the color guard, although it was still pinwheels and stuff. It was only a window of about 10 years (maybe less?) that saw drums doing elevator drills. It should also be noted that the reason for only going up and down the 50 was not a lack of visual imagination but a desire to have the drums stand still to better execute intricate parts. (I know most folks in the historical forum know this stuff already, just mentioning it for the younguns who might wander in.)

An additional note...

Likewise, with regard to execution, symmetrical drills were not just because designers couldn't think of anything else. A symmetrical drill was considered more difficult and more "exposed" because it was easy to see if one side was off. This was especially true in the days before yard lines were used. Making both sides look exactly the same was quite a trick with no field markings to follow and credit was given on the score sheets for such things. It was all about the tick. The changes came as execution scoring was phased out.

Edited by MarimbasaurusRex

The battery has always moved me... B)