What is the difference between BOA & DCI?

Oh, ok...I get it now

Okay, then! That is awesome.

Now, the next question...will you pay my way to Bayonne?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure

Yes. My plot to take over all the corps on the east coast is coming together.

Muhahahahahahaha!

I'm sorry....did I say that out loud?

Not to loud George Chris. :P

:blink:

Sorry!

*chuckles to himself*

muhahahaha

We ran...and our breaks wern't nearly 15 minutes...

Seconed.

You know what? I think there are some corps people who are really, seriously threatened and intimidated by BOA. A lot of people have come on here to make negative blanket statements about BOA and band kids around the country. I don't know how many people have marched both BOA Grand National Finals and DCI Worlds Finals, but I'm one of them--and I've got to say, for a long time, I didn't understand why BOA is regarded (by some) with such venom. "Oh, they're wimps," "They're just bandos," "Forget bands and their fifteen-minute water breaks." But the truth is that BOA has taken something that used to be just for football halftimes and turned it into a drum corps competition with electronics, woodwinds, younger kids and scholastic backing. My band practiced 27 hours a week, and although that's not quite as much rehearsal time as you'll get in a week of tour, it isn't too far from it, either.

The biggest difference between BOA and DCI? There's no summer tour for BOA. Your real life keeps on going while you're performing with a BOA group. Shows are on weekends, and most groups that go to BOA Nationals will go to at least one regional. There's a greater reliance on things like props and electronics in BOA, probably because of how high the GE mark is, but also because none of the logistic issues with props arise when you aren't on a tour.

BOA is out there accomplishing more on a creative level for the marching arts than DCI is right now. Try watching some shows like Plymouth-Canton 2000 and 2001 and Tarpon Springs 2003, and you might just recognize some drill moves that the Bluecoats and Boston Crusaders used AFTER these groups did. At my high school, we had drum corps luminaries making regular appearances--I don't like to name names, but I remember Jeff Fiedler coming out a couple times to work with the BAND.

So honestly, is BOA "better" than DCI? No, not really. It's 13-17 year olds instead of 17-21 year olds, most BOA groups accept everyone who wants to join instead of having auditions, etc. But the kids at the upper crust of the activity are excellent performers who, in many cases, have been instructed by some of the best and brightest in DCI, and several of DCI's creative minds often use BOA as a "testing grounds". So if you think you're more hardcore than the BOA kids and they should be spat on...you're one of those people that makes me giggle.

BOA is out there accomplishing more on a creative level for the marching arts than DCI is right now. Try watching some shows like Plymouth-Canton 2000 and 2001 and Tarpon Springs 2003, and you might just recognize some drill moves that the Bluecoats and Boston Crusaders used AFTER these groups did. At my high school, we had drum corps luminaries making regular appearances--I don't like to name names, but I remember Jeff Fiedler coming out a couple times to work with the BAND.

Granted, it's usually the same drill writer who writes for both groups. And in some cases, said drill writers like to rehash some of the same moves and tricks. Or in some cases they might rehash *the entire show*.

So honestly, is BOA "better" than DCI? No, not really. It's 13-17 year olds instead of 17-21 year olds, most BOA groups accept everyone who wants to join instead of having auditions, etc. But the kids at the upper crust of the activity are excellent performers who, in many cases, have been instructed by some of the best and brightest in DCI, and several of DCI's creative minds often use BOA as a "testing grounds". So if you think you're more hardcore than the BOA kids and they should be spat on...you're one of those people that makes me giggle.

It's pretty funny too considering so many of these BOA kids also march in drum corps anyway. Gone are the days of drum corps being filled with scrappy ex-gang members picked up off the street and taught how to play Yankee Doodle by rote on a bugle...thank god