Why do we love loud?

For those of us who have been in drum corps we can attest to the immediate response of the audience when we play loud. Not softly and intense... but loud... sometimes edgy but loud. The 70's and 80's corps were loud and entertaining. Sadly most corps rarely play loud these days for fear of getting low marks from the judges (most corps aren't that entertaining, especially the supposedly elite top 12)

But that's just my opinion.

:doh:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cuz it's rock and roll!

"Classical music with a boogaloo beat" is one derisive phrase used to label drum corps. I say, why can't classical music have a boogaloo beat? Even Medea has a driving groove in its original orchestral form, so why not add some more zing with a drumline...

... and, while we're at it, why not make it as loud as the world?

Edited by Leland

To me, the epicenter of the drum corps show is the maximum volume, full ensemble major chord, and everything else builds off that. (Carolina Crown featured this aspect for a good fifteen seconds this year and the audience went nuts.) That's why I feel it is important for a show to feature this epicenter, preferrably in some sort of push toward the beginning of the show (SCV, Colts, Boston and Crown featured perfect writing in this respect). It's this sound that drew me to drum corps and what keeps me coming back, and honesty I can't really think of much that is auditorily more pleasurable.

General Douglas McAurthur had once said "There is no substitute for victory!" If he had been a Drum Corps fan he may well have said "There is no substitute for power!". :)

Because these go to 11...............

I don't know because you get caught up in the moment and then there's this ... Oh, wait. You're talking about drum corps. Sorry. :doh: