Time for Rifles to Go?

Should rifles stay or go?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like rifles to stay in the activity?

• yes
    • no

Now that I finally figured out how to do this:

Added poll posted yesterday by Stu (Guard Diva).

These photos are so violent

I don't know if we American should be looking at these.....

I didn't post them because they are violent, but because they are absolutely bizarre.

To anyone looking at them not already familiar with the activity, they look a bit strange and kind of silly, actually.

I didn't post them because they are violent, but because they are absolutely bizarre.

To anyone looking at them not already familiar with the activity, they look a bit strange and kind of silly, actually.

Which, again, is an opinion from you and those unfamiliar with drum corps. Just like many of us who find things a bit strange we'd go out and do a little bit of research to understand why. If all you do is throw things out because we don't understand something the internet wouldn't be around because I meet people today who don't understand it or find it a bit strange.

Now that I finally figured out how to do this:

Added poll posted yesterday by Stu (Guard Diva).

Why add a poll? The intent of proposing the question wasn't to do a survey of what people currently think... the answer to that is obvious.

The intent was for people to take two baby steps back and objectively evaluate the activity from various viewpoints as well as levels of familiarity.

I haven't read every post so forgive me if I repeat some things already said.

Many corps HAVE used all types of alternate guard equipment over the years. With most of them there seems to be a much more limited amount of spinning and movement you can do versus what you can with a rifle.

Some alternate equipment has worked better then others. I usually like that stuff, but after you've given whatever effect it was intended for you have to move on to something else.

Umbrellas for example are fine when it fits the theme or music, but you can only do so much with it. after a minute to minute and a half, you're done.

With a rifle you can spin, toss, do body work where it becomes an extension of the body etc. (I'm not a guard person so I'm sure there's more.)

And if you need any other evidence of why rifles are still relevent, as others have already said"

KINGSMEN RIFLES!!! :blink::rock::sigh:

Edited by shawn craig

Why add a poll? The intent of proposing the question wasn't to do a survey of what people currently think... the answer to that is obvious.

The intent was for people to take two baby steps back and objectively evaluate the activity from various viewpoints as well as levels of familiarity.

It was a merged topic with a poll by another poster. That's all. No sense in having a separate topic with a poll if it was about the very same thing.

It was a merged topic with a poll by another poster. That's all. No sense in having a separate topic with a poll if it was about the very same thing.

It changes the entire purpose of the discussion to add a poll.

That thread was a vote... yes/no, like/don't/like... done thinking.

This thread is a discussion... start thinking.

While they may be similar in topic, they are polar opposite in purpose.

How is that relevant? To someone unfamiliar with the activity those photos would look strange with the models holding anything.

Edited by jwscv87

The day someone gets shot from a color guard rifle is the day I'll stop loving drum corps.

It changes the entire purpose of the discussion to add a poll.

That thread was a vote... yes/no, like/don't/like... done thinking.

This thread is a discussion... start thinking.

While they may be similar in topic, they are polar opposite in purpose.

It's not being removed. Since they are dealing with the same topic, they are staying merged.