winter circuit "blast" style

I like this idea...I think it would have to be an all-age type of thing simply due to school for most kids under 21...if anyone wants to start one, I'm there!

You do realize that in WGI, there are thousands upon thousands of students performing each year...and its growing insanely more and more each year...

Both percussion and guard are enourmous, have hundreds of highschools, and independent groups all decently classified and draw in thousands of spectators each april....

There is no reason why you would have to have all age.....

Every weekend or during the week rehearsals just like all the groups do already....It would be very successful and It'll just take the right people to push it forward....

I've often wondered this myself when I attend WGI Finals every year. There is no lack of interest in the 'indoor' style activity and I def think that a 'small ensemble' category would def be pleasing to watch and fun to perform.

I know that some of us have debated the concept of a winter activity since the Star Brass Theater days. It was an interesting idea then, and the success of the Winter Percussion lines sure adds fuel to the fire. But one has to wonder how this would work with once a month winter camps for summer corps? Already many guards cannot really get together until April due to WGI. I've heard of drumline guys having to either do one or the other. Add to that the number of music majors who are in so many other ensembles in the winter. None of this is a deal breaker, but the logistics of participating in a competing WGI-style unit as well as a Div.1 Corps could be challenging.

I think it would be interesting to see the mixed ensemble at I&E expanded into the 'Minicorps' concept as presented at DCA/MCA. These units are growing like wildfire in the All Age ranks. 21 playing members of any mix plus one conductor if needed. At present this is done on a stage, but I could see how added visual elements could move it out onto a tarped basketball court WGI-Style.

This size is affordable to operate and tons of fun. Units could be a select group from within a larger corps, or a entirely independent organization. It might be a cheap way for groups interested in starting a larger corps to get started. Even starting a competitive DivIII unit can be financially challenging nowadays.

A season could be a few contest/shows in the spring months, followed with select summer events like in the afternoon before regionals. Crowning of a Mini champion could be on the evening of I&E. These units have become a big crowd draw at DCA, and I can imagine an even larger response at the DCI level.