Ashamed of drum corps military roots

Ashamed? PROUD is more the word. Those who are "ashamed" are usually the ones who keep their minds in a constant state of contemporary trends. Even Albert Einstein refused to let his thoughts settle on such shifting foundations.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm hmm...two thoughts:

1.) If I told you guys what's coming, you'd crap your britches.

2.) There will be a time in the not-too-distant future when the reminiscing will be of "the good ol' days" when the U.S. existed and it had a strong military. But don't say that out loud then, you'll be shot on site. Fair warning. I won't be around to tell you "I told you so."

Sorry, Christian theology gets the better of me occassionally. Look at the news some time and put two brain cells together and see where things are headed. Forget about the religious references. Think about it.

I don’t understand why some current drum crops fans are ashamed of it’s military roots. I don’t understand why some corps want to distance themselves from their military roots, I believe Hopkins has a quote on this floating around on this. Usually, its presented as a given but never with a reason.

So, why are you ashamed of drum corps military roots?

Why should corps distance themselves from their military roots?

Corps has moved well beyond the military model in most of the things they do, but I don't see why anyone would be "ashamed" of their roots. They are what they are.

Mmm hmm...two thoughts:

1.) If I told you guys what's coming, you'd crap your britches.

2.) There will be a time in the not-too-distant future when the reminiscing will be of "the good ol' days" when the U.S. existed and it had a strong military. But don't say that out loud then, you'll be shot on site. Fair warning. I won't be around to tell you "I told you so."

Sorry, Christian theology gets the better of me occassionally. Look at the news some time and put two brain cells together and see where things are headed. Forget about the religious references. Think about it.

can I have your pants when you're "raptured?" Did I just say that? <reminder> turn off external voice modual for internal monologue.

Corps has moved well beyond the military model in most of the things they do

I understand but ask why?

what was the reason for that?

I can understand getting rid of inspections and a few other things, but why they ditch the flag?

I'm proud or my roots, I don't try to hide them, get away from them our distance myself from them...I embrace them as a part of me, you know, like roots

I understand but ask why?

what was the reason for that?

I can understand getting rid of inspections and a few other things, but why they ditch the flag?

I'm proud or my roots, I don't try to hide them, get away from them our distance myself from them...I embrace them as a part of me, you know, like roots

I think I'm about to bust out in a Toby Keith moment....wait...ah...it passed.

But, it was close.

I guess before I could comment on this thread I'd like to know who said they're ashamed of their military roots? You mention George Hopkins saying he was ashamed of his corps' military roots. Can you point me to where I can read about this?

Or are we just going to base entire threads on conjecture?

I don’t understand why some current drum crops fans are ashamed of it’s military roots. I don’t understand why some corps want to distance themselves from their military roots, I believe Hopkins has a quote on this floating around on this. Usually, its presented as a given but never with a reason.

So, why are you ashamed of drum corps military roots?

Why should corps distance themselves from their military roots?

Drum corps and the Military share an interesting relationship.

Drum corps employs severly strict disciplinary values and teaches uniformity for the sole purpose of making art.

The military employs severly strict disciplinary values and teaches uniformity for the sole purpose of killing people.

Both share the same values but for different reasons.

Making art is good. Killing people is evil.

So while Drum Corps should distance itself from killing people, it requires the intense, mental and physical discipline and uniformity (military-like) to achieve its goals.

I dare you to find an operating pistol on the field anymore.

Actually, The Troopers drum major carries a real pistol. Sure its not loaded but it could still "operate"

Drum corps and the Military share an interesting relationship.

Drum corps employs severly strict disciplinary values and teaches uniformity for the sole purpose of making art.

The military employs severly strict disciplinary values and teaches uniformity for the sole purpose of killing people.

Both share the same values but for different reasons.

Making art is good. Killing people is evil.

So while Drum Corps should distance itself from killing people, it requires the intense, mental and physical discipline and uniformity (military-like) to achieve its goals.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with virtually everything in your post. This probably isn't the best place to debate it, but if you'd like to do so in PM's I'm willing. Please start with the context for your evaluation of good and evil.