Ashamed of drum corps military roots

Drum corps and the Military share an interesting relationship.

Drum corps employs severly strict disciplinary values and teaches uniformity for the sole purpose of making art.

The military employs severly strict disciplinary values and teaches uniformity for the sole purpose of killing people.

Both share the same values but for different reasons.

Making art is good. Killing people is evil.

So while Drum Corps should distance itself from killing people, it requires the intense, mental and physical discipline and uniformity (military-like) to achieve its goals.

Obviously you have never been in the military... I bet you think that we eat children as well.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

...Making art is good. Killing people is evil.

Actually - none of you artsy types could "make art", if good men didn't kill evil men.

But then again, there was no shortage of artists making art for the Third Reich....

Edited by GuyW

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with virtually everything in your post. This probably isn't the best place to debate it, but if you'd like to do so in PM's I'm willing. Please start with the context for your evaluation of good and evil.

I'm not willing to discuss anything in PM's but I am here and I think its appropriate. A MOD will shut us down if I am wrong.

ok good and evil

good... no one gets hurt, actually people get pleasure. Drum corps doesn't hurt anybody.

evil... pain and suffering are a direct cause. The military kills people, hurts people.

I am pretty sure the ashamed folks of which you speak are a minority.

Anyway, about the American flag.

My theory would be more practical - the American Flag party (or Honor Guard) has very strict guidelines as to how it is carried and displayed. These things affect how you enter the field and are an easy way to get a penalty. By eliminating the flag, you eliminate a source of penalties. (I know it can be done without getting a penalty, but sometimes it is easier to eliminate the potential).

Another reason (theory, if you like) is that the US flag started disappearing from the field around the time of the end of the Vietnam war, when the popularity of the military was at an all time low.

Also, the number of people in the A squad potentially (not in DCA) take away from the number of other performers on the field. Maybe the staffs just wanted more horns (or flags or percussion). It can also be difficult to get young people to be in the Honor Guard - it is sometimes seen as uncool compared to the other sections.

Finally, the requirement to have an Honor Guard was removed.

Drum corps employs severly strict disciplinary values and teaches uniformity for the sole purpose of making art.

The military employs severly strict disciplinary values and teaches uniformity for the sole purpose of killing people.

So while Drum Corps should distance itself from killing people, it requires the intense, mental and physical discipline and uniformity (military-like) to achieve its goals.

Wow, in one post you've shown your complete lack of intelligence in matters concerning the real world.

You really think that's the sole reason for a military?

I'm not willing to discuss anything in PM's but I am here and I think its appropriate. A MOD will shut us down if I am wrong.

ok good and evil

good... no one gets hurt, actually people get pleasure. Drum corps doesn't hurt anybody.

evil... pain and suffering are a direct cause. The military kills people, hurts people.

I'm afraid that our core definitions are too disparate to have a productive debate, especially in the context of the thread topic. If you honestly believe that Drum Corps is incapable of "evil", and that the military is incapable of "good" (based on your definitions), I don't see the point of even trying. Sorry you feel that way about PMs.

Tell that to my son in the Navy who is saving lives as an Operating Room tech...and who got a commendation during the psunami for helping with the Military relief effort while being deployed.

This could potentially be the most ignorant thing I have ever read.