CRU or KILTS?

Oh yeah,,and to the person(s) :worthy: at DCA that put Kilties ( a non member corps) ahead of MCL (A member corps)in the line up.

:P

We enjoyed our year as a Member.

Here's to seeing you in 09 :mmm:

DCA revised the criteria for the order of appearance to be based on prior scores within the current year (I.E. 2007) or a Drum Corps prior year Pre-Lims / Finals placement (I.E. Renegades - 2007 Pre-Lims Order of appearance). Being a DCA member corps no longer gets a drum corps a free pass to cut in line and improve their appearance order placement. That being said, the DCA member corps are given preferential scoring treatment when it comes to Pre-Lims / Finals.

MCL will have to do more than hype themselves in 2008 based on the reality that the 2007 Finalist drum corps happened to all be DCA member corps the same as MCL. MCL will have to beat Corps Vets if they want a Finals performance opportunity on Sunday night. DCA as a whole will not throw the North East Drum Corps out due to the voting realities currently in place.

If the Kilties are able to become a DCA member corps they might very well be in a position to get a fair score at Pre-Lims. This however would still make it very difficult for the Kilties to make finals (No different than MCL as mentioned previously).

IF MCL's score takes a nose dive downward next year at DCA Pre-Lims like happened to the Kilties in 2007 at DCA Pre-Lims then maybe you will experience the "Good Ole Boys Club Scoring" that is alive and well in DCA.

The 3-Point separation in score between MCL & CRU is the typical gap that the DCA Judging panel makes for the 10th vs 11th place open class finals drum corps. Take a look at the previous years DCA Pre-Lims results and let me know what you find as far as the roughly 3-point separation.

The same old group of DCA drum corps made finals again in 2007 as in 2006 / 2005/ Etc ... Even the scoring was standard as far as the perennial Finalist drum corps are concerned (I.E. CV, Renegades, MBI, Etc ...). the only exceptions to the rule were the Hurcs went up in score from 2007, and CRU made finals due to Carolina Gold going inactive for 2007.

I will have to view the various DCA Pre-Lims shows before I venture a guess about the overall perfromance of the Kilties vs any other DCA drum corps.

Edited by Browniebrick

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCA revised the criteria for the order of appearance to be based on prior scores within the current year (I.E. 2007) or a Drum Corps prior year Pre-Lims / Finals placement (I.E. Renegades - 2007 Pre-Lims Order of appearance). Being a DCA member corps no longer gets a drum corps a free pass to cut in line and improve their appearance order placement. That being said, the DCA member corps are given preferential scoring treatment when it comes to Pre-Lims / Finals.

You really do not seem to know what you are talking about.

Well, then why did MCL go on before the Kilties. I would be more than happy to be enlightened.

Because of the 83.800 Kilties got on 8/18 and the 81.8 MCL got 8/19

I hate to feed the trolls, but I think the only thing that matters at this point is that EVERYONE in this activity put their blood sweat and tears into their individual performances, and the placement fell where it did.

Drum Corp is about the thrill of performance, the rush of excitement you get when the crowd goes wild, the people you meet, the friends you make, and the bonds you share.

We worked our butts of to get into Finals, and to generalize that by saying "and CRU made finals due to Carolina Gold going inactive for 2007." is slap in the face to every member of EVERY CORP, not just the Rochester Crusaders

While I respect everyone's right to have opinions, I feel your constant trolling of this forum is completely disgusting and uncalled for.

I hate to feed the trolls, but I think the only thing that matters at this point is that EVERYONE in this activity put their blood sweat and tears into their individual performances, and the placement fell where it did.

Drum Corp is about the thrill of performance, the rush of excitement you get when the crowd goes wild, the people you meet, the friends you make, and the bonds you share.

We worked our butts of to get into Finals, and to generalize that by saying "and CRU made finals due to Carolina Gold going inactive for 2007." is slap in the face to every member of EVERY CORP, not just the Rochester Crusaders

While I respect everyone's right to have opinions, I feel your constant trolling of this forum is completely disgusting and uncalled for.

Brad,

Don't let him get to you. He'll find something wrong with everything. Now he has all winter season to gripe about DCA. He fails to see that CV, MBI and Renegades all did very well in top 10 and have been in top 10 the past few years. In time we'll see more I am sure. Everyone knows that CRU, like ALL the corps, worked very hard all season.

You know what brownie brick really is right? Ever see what a dog leaves behind once in a while? There's your sign.

The sad thing is that Mr. Donovan and crew have done a very good job at distingushing DCP as a great tool for resources and communication for the drum corps world and yet this troll continues to talk jibberish all the time and would ask that the moderators contact this person and either squash his/her ridiculous tactics or face removal from this forum!

I would think they would like to keep this seperated from the old days of RAMD! :(

One last thing I will add to this thread. The following is an excerpt from the MCL Handbook for both 2006 and 2007:

"Members are expected to conduct themselves with class and dignity at all

times, but especially when MCL is in the public eye. Denigrating other corps will not

be tolerated. Each member must realize donning the MCL uniform or associating

yourself with the corps name in public statements makes you a representative of the

entire corps, regardless of your subjective intentions. Thus, each member has a duty

to act in a manner that will earn respect from your fellow members, our competitors

and the general public."

This is MCL's official statement on how its members should act in public, including internet messageboards. Failure to adhere to this code of conduct will be dealt with privately.

MCL's position on competition is simple. Our main competition is ourselves. We strive to get better each year. MCL 2007 met and far exceeded that goal.

In regard to our fellow corps, all corps in DCA "win" when we all get better. It's quite simple really. The better the quality of the DCA product, the greater the public demand, the greater chance all corps have to achieve stability and improve the drum corps experience for our members.

MCL extends its congratulations to all the 2007 competing corps for producing one of the most entertaining Championship Weekends ever.

MCL will have to do more than hype themselves in 2008 based on the reality that the 2007 Finalist drum corps happened to all be DCA member corps the same as MCL. MCL will have to beat Corps Vets if they want a Finals performance opportunity on Sunday night. DCA as a whole will not throw the North East Drum Corps out due to the voting realities currently in place.

If the Kilties are able to become a DCA member corps they might very well be in a position to get a fair score at Pre-Lims. This however would still make it very difficult for the Kilties to make finals (No different than MCL as mentioned previously).

IF MCL's score takes a nose dive downward next year at DCA Pre-Lims like happened to the Kilties in 2007 at DCA Pre-Lims then maybe you will experience the "Good Ole Boys Club Scoring" that is alive and well in DCA.

I can't let these comments go. I don't know if the writer has a grudge or just doesn't seem to grasp reality, but I can tell you two things for sure..........

I saw Kilties last rehearsal run-through on Saturday morning and it was awesome. I'm a Kiltie alumni and dearly wanted to see them make top ten. The show package Kilties brought to DCA was good, (but not near the top 5 corps show design). The hornline was very clean and if they laid down a show the changes and additions to the guard and show might have gotten them the tenth spot. However, I saw the prelims performance and it was sub-par from the rehearsal run-through. The brass line was not anywhere near as clean and there were several major 'tears' in the program. If the strongest section of your corps (in this case the horn line) doesn't come up with their best effort, I'm sorry but the rest of the show won't get them to the tip. I love these guys, but the score they got was pretty close to what they deserved. On the other hand Cru was probably the most improved corps from June to Sept. I was amazed at the cleanliness and impact of their prelims performance. They deserved what they got also. Don't for one minute think it was a DCA East myopia thing that put the spread in these shows. It was what it was.

Secondly, I am absolutely certain there are bias's in judging. Most of the judges have marched somewhere, but in the long run it all balances out. There is no concerted effor to keep non East corps out of the top. Renegades are amazing performers, but if you sit and watch the show with technical eyes and not emotional ones, you see where they lack the performance level of Bucs, Cabs, Empire et al. If you watched the alumni show, Les Diplomats performed some of their classic numbers. Back in the late '60's, they were the Renegades of their day. The crowd loved them........I loved them.......but their execution and individual performance level kept them from the top of the pile. (4th was their best I think). Its the same thing. Judges will (and must) give credit where credit is due. If they consistently don't, you won't see them on DCA weekend.

Oh and by the way......MCL you had a great show. No one things this rambling is your official comment.

Having seen both, it's a toss up as to who will score higher. Both can be beaten, so I don't buy this whole idea of one or the other. No offense to either, I'm just sayin another corps could easily sneak in.

well, I was wrong about Crusaders, great show! You improved tremendously since Buffalo. However, as to the rest of my post, neener, neener, neener. MCL, I loved your show. Very entertaining.