SHOULD DCI ALLOW SALE OF ALCOHOL AT SHOWS?

Should DCI allow the sale of alcohol at shows? DCI should not prohibit the legal sale of alcohol when available. Since DCI doesn't have the right to provide alcohol they aren't in a position to allow or disallow the sale or consumption of it in a stadium possessing the right to do so.

I don't think you're correct. They are in the position. DCI (or anyone negotiating an agreement to use a stadium) DOES have the right to determine whether or not alcohol should be sold. The question is, SHOULD DCI take a stance on the sale, or non-sale of alcoholic beverages at drum corps shows?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cost, the poor quality of the brew, the hassle of getting out and back in (to either drink more beer, or eliminate it) all work to discourage mass drunkenness at stadiums. I can only remember a few instances when I saw somebody carrying beer into the stands in three days at the Rose Bowl. Yeah, when there's one loud drunk or group of loud drunks near you, it can really limit your enjoyment, but I don't think it had any role at all in what happened to The Cadets at quarterfinals except perhaps for a few isolated people. It's this simple: a lot of people didn't like that show and/or 2005/2006 Cadets, and a lot of people are tired of GH's antics, and the booing had much more to do with those two factors than with beer or wine sales. It was a spontaneous outburst of energy from the audience, like a forest fire that clears away dead brush that's built up for years.

Since DCI is an activity for those under 21, if I had the call to make, I personally wouldn't sell alcohol, but I don't particularly care one way or the other about this as something DCI needs to have a policy on. I think everybody can decide whether they want to drink or not at the show.

Edited by Peel Back

Ok 1981/82 open class prelims Magill University Stadium Montreal, beer was openly sold in the stands and enjoyed by all no rowdiness or obnoxious behaviour. I cannot recall if beer was sold at finals though .

note this was a good quality beer and the drinking age in PQ was 18 or 19

TOLERANCE!! and Garfield did not get boooed b**bs

Yes.

No.

Next.

w/Stp:

I thought DCI banned alchohol sales from all events. Hearing that beer was sold at the finals is good news. In San Antonio th still had their big "Shiner on draft" sign up but were not selling beer. Too bad - could have used a cold one after hours of drum corps.

Good thread, Jim.

As I wasn't there I have no way of knowing about the particulars, but IMO booze should not be sold at DCI events for the NCAA comparison you made above.

I don't think the NCAA ban has anything to do with the events being "family-oriented". It is a response to dangersous and excessive consumption on college campuses by college students. Those NCAA events take place on campus and the audience includes a signficant proportion of students, so they took a stand several years back. How is that relevant to a drum corps event? I don't think we are likely to see a lot of drunken students in the stands.

From what I understand there was also booing at some movie theaters. No beer there.

Yep, I heard that too. I also heard that some theatergoers threw candy at the screen. I spoke to an HS band director who had brought some of his students to a theatre to watch. He said that he had to caution his kids to not get involved in the negative behavior. :(

I thought DCI banned alchohol sales from all events. Hearing that beer was sold at the finals is good news. In San Antonio th still had their big "Shiner on draft" sign up but were not selling beer. Too bad - could have used a cold one after hours of drum corps.

Not just finals; beer and wine were sold at all Rose Bowl events. No sales in San Antonio? Very interesting. Does anyone know if DCI had an active role in NOT allowing sales at the San Antonio DCI Regional show, but allowed it at DCI Championships? Just curious about the consistency (or inconsistency?).

Not just finals; beer and wine were sold at all Rose Bowl events. No sales in San Antonio? Very interesting. Does anyone know if DCI had an active role in NOT allowing sales at the San Antonio DCI Regional show, but allowed it at DCI Championships? Just curious about the consistency (or inconsistency?).

IDK. It could depend on how much each stadium wants to go all out with their concessions. From what I hear Stanford only had one booth open for food. Could be that depending on crowd estimates or what type of crowd is attending is a determining factor of whether a stadium is going to sell alcohol or not.