My Drum Corps Summer 2007 in Review

"old guard"

As the percussion instructor for the Muchachos, I would like to thank you for the kind words about our performance,and the show we hosted.I've heard alot of positive things about the event,and alot of folks can't wait until next year.I hope we do as well hosting a show next year as we did this year.And also a GREAT BIG.....THANK YOU,to everyone involved in making that show happen,and contributed !!!!!!!!

Thank you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TB

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year at finals in Madison, they grabbed me in the chest and took my heart with them out the tunnel.

They took mine too. All of me really. Watching my girlfriend at the time perform that show just told me everything I needed to know that night. I rushed out of the stadium, and proposed to her. She said yes. :ph34r:

Edited by Phirefenix

• 2 months later...

There is snow on the ground here. It will not be melting anytime soon. It covers the roads, the hills ... the practice fields. I read the corps news and announcements and I dream of summer. The corps coming together near me will not be donning their shorts and taking off their shirts and working on their drill anytime soon. It is one of the facts of drum corps life in the north. You look at the pictures of the corps in sunny vistas, read their practice schedules, their admonitions to bring a hat and sunscreen and you just shake your head in the wonder of it ... and you know how hard you will have to work in April and May to catch up.

I digress somewhat ... although from these thoughts my admiration rises for the corps from the north ...

By now I have watched the DVD's from sunny Pasadena many times. I come back to only a few again and again. I know there is a review or two I have not written. One I have actually avoided. It's past time to say it ... I am going to write of Spartans and of Surf.

As a drum corps fan, I love both of these corps. For very different reasons. They are very different corps. There are a few similarities. The biggest one is that I know when either of these two corps take the field the audience is in for a great show. There is nothing second rate or missing from what the people who march in these corps bring and leave on the field.

I know I have never written a comprehensive review of Surf for last year. The first time I saw them it was in Rome, NY, they blew me away with their opener. Those hand flags. The colors, the patterns. The new competitive gleam in their eye that said, we are here and you just better know we are planning to knock you back. And they did ... and the best thing about it was that they somehow did not lose that sheer joy in performing for the crowd that I have come to expect from Surf. They were amazing. I have to be honest and tell you that I personally did not like this particular show vehicle all that much. It is probably why I did not review Surf much during the season. I did not want them to think that I was not supportive and pulling for them. There were parts of it I absolutely loved ... particularly the "California Dreamin" thread that wove throughout. The drumline was excellent, but I did not care for the wooden stools and there were a few too many moments when the hornline did not play. I did not like the billboard racks. For the hornline there was too much standstill in the drill and too many block moves which are designed to hide the errors in the individual feet. I've been around long enough that I can still see them. I like an exposed drill and a hornline that is reaching beyond it's capacity to still play. Spartans did this one better. If you are from Surf and you are looking for me to say you should have won, look elsewhere and you will find it. Many people will say it. You will not hear it from me. I had Spartans by a point. There were moments, though, when I really, really wanted to see Surf take it. They worked so hard. They tried so hard. They performed it so well. I love this corps.

Then Spartans would advance slowly onto the field with their signature block and singular determination and I would hold my breath. I was torn last summer. I wanted two corps to win and I wanted only one corps to win. I could not decide which one. I love the Spartans. I love their style, their uniforms, their hornline, their percussion, their guard. In a few shows last summer, they actually let me down with low energy performances. What was happening to my Spartans? They arrived running late and out of gas in the Westminster Show. Then as the buses were pulling away all around them in the lot, they breathed in bus fumes and blew out "Fire" with such power that people were running up the hill to cheer them. (They do not play "Fire" anymore after a show. I heard DCI pulled the plug and enforced the no playing after a show rule. Too bad for the fans. I did hear that the very last time, the hornline got into a tight circle outside their food truck and sang it. I wish I had been there, but I was at Allentown. If they sang it again later in the year, I did not catch it or hear of it.) Again, in my reviews I tried not to discourage them. I was pulling for them, too. I knew they could do better, but some inner problem was holding them back, wearing them down. I knew they could work it out. And they did. Finals week they were still changing their drill and trying to find a way to move and breathe and play through it. As I said before, this was a corps that overcome last summer. In the end, they threw it down and pulled it off. They were challenged and they were cleaner. In the end, it was only the Spartans whose energy throbbed through me and who reached inside my chest during the ballad and seized my heart with theirs last summer at finals. They were the champions of the field that hot summer afternoon in August. The first time on the west coast that I saw the large card posters (which were added in their western tour), I was not pleased. I do not much care for large props. I could see the purpose of them; the flags with the same images were too translucent to see properly, but I prefer a show that leaves it to the audience to figure it out. In the closer, though, when they played that last card (I am pretty sure the last one was added after the others) and shuffled the deck in their ending drill and turned their heads toward it and I looked and saw the "Judgement" sign, my breath caught. Perfect.

I reminisce, put on my woollen jacket and gloves and hat and head for the snow fields outside while Surf's "California Dreamin" plays in my head and I think of summer ...

Edited by oldguard

Per Request:

A little background first. Raiders are one of those corps I like, I follow throughout the season, catch in a show whenever I can, and stand and cheer for. Okay, I stand and cheer for all of them, but I really like this gutsy corps of kids from North Jersey. (I miss their home show. I could make the drive. Bring it back, please.) In 2005 they had one of my favorite shows. One of the ones I go back and play all the time. I have a sizable collection of corps' DVD's and videos and I pick and choose a lot. Recently, my grandson was visiting and pulled out the '99 Scouts version of this and I had him plug in the '05 Raiders version, too. We went back and forth. He is a real fan of the men from Madison. So am I. But I actually prefer the Raiders solo in John/Gethsemane. (Although give me the '71 Argonne Rebels any day and I will be a happy camper.) By the end of the discussion including size of corps, etc, I had him admitting that the Raiders really pulled this one off.

Fast forward to '07. Raiders take on another oldie and goodie, tried and true ... a bit of a worn-out one maybe. My favorite "West Side Story" is probably St Rita's Brassmen '70 (I think it was '70.) At the beginning of the season after reading the corps repertoires, I decide this could be a good choice for this corps. I really did not see Raiders nearly enough this year. I think there was some interesting twists on this old theme. I saw their first show in Rome. Then I did not see them again until Bakersfield. They did not have a lot of shows and they took the southern route. I went north. I think the reduced number of shows may have sealed their fate to put them out of the race for a Div II medal and they had some really big competition.

Raiders were a bit late out of the gate, too, with Rome their first effort. After this they had an enormous amount of ground to try to cover. Their Rome show was ... how do I say this ... okay, I am going to be straight with this ... a mess. The score was a gift in my eyes and, as I recall, they were still about 10 points behind the three front-runners. It looked like they had just hit the practice field the week before and some of them did not know which end of the pole the flag was on ... and the hornline had their horns pointing ever which way but front and the sound actually made me cringe a couple of times ... and there was a lot of stumbling around out there and looking to see where everyone else was and what they were doing. The drumline was more prepared. I actually think this drumline was underrated all season, but, then again, there the competition was outstanding. Then I realized what I was doing. I was falling into the competition trap. I was forgetting what drum corps is all about ... that this corps most likely was full with new, eager drum corps kids who were just learning all this stuff and that they were making a really good effort. I was being a rotten drum corps fan. Shame on me. The Springfield show was my only other east coast chance to see Raiders and I opted for my traditional Allentown trip. I do have a couple of old friends who attend the Springfield show every year and I got their report. They very much liked Raiders show. It had that jazzy element that they like and they enthused. From what they were saying, it felt like we had seen two different corps performing the same piece. After that, I was very much looking forward to seeing how much Raiders had improved by the west coast tour.

And, indeed, it was like seeing a new and different corps. I had followed the scores for all the corps I could not see. Through only a Herculean effort the Raiders grew with leaps and bounds on their trek across the southwest and got pretty darn close to Teal Sound a few times, there.

Raiders were very small for a Division II corps this year. I truly applaud their efforts to recruit and teach and offer the drum corps experience to more young people. I truly applaud the efforts of these marching members. The guard, in particular, improved tremendously. This turned out to be a fun show to watch, particularly the mambo. Marching technique was another area of great improvement. The drill was interesting, albeit a little slower paced than the competition. There was a long solo in the ballad that was handled well with style and class. The part where just the front and the hornline played was very nicely done. I really, really liked the "One Hand/One Heart" and "America." The closer was the best part of the show for me.

I am really looking forward to Raider's show announcement and I am hoping that most of the members return and that they have another good recruitment year. I think the corps' efforts to grow last year will pay off this year with their entry into the new Open Class format.

Best wishes to everyone at Raiders and see you next summer :innocent:

Edited by oldguard

Excellent post!

Thank you!

As promised ...

Memphis Sound !

there is nothing I did not like about this corps, this show ... someone is probably going to hit me with the "over the top" thing again, but so be it ... this is my perspective only ... this is just good drum corps to my old eyes and ears ...

... I bought the song files and I play this one all the time ... this was the first show I plugged in when I got the DVD's ...

... the only problem I had is that I only got to see this show 3 times, all during the finals week. But, hey, that was my problem. They had a lot of shows. But, man, I wish I could have seen this show at the beginning and middle of the season, but they stayed just too far away. And I missed their Bakersfield focus show performance because they were on Saturday and, after much debate, we opted to go to the Stanford show. (I really like the Standford Show, though ... just no Memphis Sound, there ... :( ... )

I have always liked Memphis Sound but this year they took on a newer, cleaner edge ... driven and determined ...

I liked the music selections and arrangements ... the Jenkins and Whitacre, the bit of Verdi, the the Jenkins again at the end ... this plays so well on the field ...

the ballad was just beautiful ... wonderful mello solo, perfect take on the music ... I loved this hornline ... they had a much darker sound this year (which is a personal preference) ... a lot of notes ... clean ... controlled ... well-balanced ... nice mello runs ... rich bass sound ... this is what a good brassline can do to play the human voice ...

the front ensemble played some amazing runs ... this is what a good pit can add to drum corps show ...

the battery worked perfectly with the rest of the ensemble ... the corps' heart beating out loud ...

the guard was wonderful ... nice classy, understated uniforms (and I am not a fan of white guard uniforms ... there were white guard uniforms in Div I this year that made me cringe) for both male and female members ... this is a great example of what a small guard can do ... nice rifle line ... lovely flags, handled well ... smooth, elegant presentation ...

the drill was flowing ... nice mix of line and form ... and quite clean ... great use of visuals ...

good marching technique, good upper body ...

what more can I say ... this is just good, clean, wonderful drum corps ... no gimmicks ... no props ...

As I said ... this was my personal pick for best show design in Div II/III ... actually, when I think about it ... for all divisions.

A lot has been said about their bus problems and how they hit the grund running, threw it down, and ran off just as fast at semi-finals ... they did not have time to worry over it. they had to just do it ... this was without a doubt the best performance for them all week .. and it is what probably gave them just enough of a boost to carry them through their final performance ... when Fever ... and Dutch Boy ... and Revolution ... were just getting better and better all week and were primed and ready to try to ###### it away ...

There was some really strong competion between some really great smaller corps in 2007 ...

Memphis worried it a little on Saturday afternoon ... but they did not lose their focus ... this was a whole corps effort ... when they played that beautiful ballad they found something in themselves to carry them through ... that inner drive to finish what they started ... leave it all on the field ...

Memphis Sound will likely go down in the record books as the last small corps champion in DCI history ...

Congratulations and thank you, Memphis Sound.

More Honorable Mentions ...

East Coast Classic

July 6th

Lawrence, MA

Teal Sound ... they liked the corps uniforms, but not the guard uniforms ... there was some comment about looking like "killer bees."

the term for those uniforms are actually the "traffic cone" brigade , if you want to get technical hahaha