A congratulations to a Crown member

I and many other people here are not proponents of amplified human voice. I want to set that aside for one moment, and give huge kudos to someone. I have no idea who it is, but he deserves props. The kid that did the horse race call for Crown nailed it. Absolutely nailed it. No matter if you think that the inclusion of the corps references was cool or poor, whatever. When I heard that kid do that call, it was the backstretch, and he absolutely got it right. His inflection was excellent, his pace was on target, his projection was generally clear and as clear as any finishing call I've heard.

I got the horserace and photo finish before they added it. It made sense, so I didn't need to hear it. But if a corps is ever going to do something like that, they did it right. I will say that in my personal opinion, it's the first use of voice that has truly added to the story, without being the story. But the important thing here isn't the use, the concept, or the idea. It's about the kid, and absolutely pegging a final call. Nails.

Congratulations, whoever you are. That was pretty ####### cool.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what some people need to realize is that the inclusion of the race call was not to ensure that everybody "got it". It was pretty clear what was happening. The whole point of "AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!!!" was to add an extra element of excitement to the moment.

Y'know, kind of like a large rubber shark eating the fat lady on Finals night.

I think what some people need to realize is that the inclusion of the race call was not to ensure that everybody "got it". It was pretty clear what was happening. The whole point of "AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!!!" was to add an extra element of excitement to the moment.

Yep. If it had been anything but the really authentic sounding call that it was, it would have been hokey, and detracted from it. Instead, it helped, and I was very impressed.

It was the most musical, appropriate narration I've ever heard used. It wasn't the meaning of the words that mattered, thank God, it was the overall tone and inflection of his voice that added the "music" of a real horse race.

The slow motion effect sold it and was a huge crowd pleaser -- especially to newbies who'd never been to a corps before. I'm all for more effects like that.

Also, REALLY added to the slow-mo photo finish effect. Was understandable before, sure, but the voice-over really pulled it together. I heard nothing but laughter and cheers at the moment. The voice and the visual together created some good .... um .... what should I call it?? ..... "general effect" :)

Also, REALLY added to the slow-mo photo finish effect. Was understandable before, sure, but the voice-over really pulled it together. I heard nothing but laughter and cheers at the moment. The voice and the visual together created some good .... um .... what should I call it?? ..... "general effect" :)

I think it created a Spirit of Disney award. :D

I'm guessing (but don't know for a fact) that this was planned to be added. Someone can enlighten me along with the others.

The VK shark thing was pure Kismet. They saw the shark sitting in a corner of a band room where the corps was staying on tour and asked the band director about it. (The shark was used for the band's previous show and the band folk had no idea what to do with it afterwards.) The band director said if they would get it out of his room, they could have it and one of the truly GREAT moments of DCI finals history was made possible.

I'll never forget laughing hysterically as the shark made its way towards the opera diva. Everyone knew what was going to happen, and yet when it did, there was total pandemonium in the stands.