Would if DIV 1 had no age limit only a age minimum like a pro sport?

I think you underestimate the power of the demographic DCI has. Besides, do you really want to mix 40 year old guys and 17 year old girls all summer?

and considering what some of those 17 year olds wear to the practice field...

Oh my....here comes another heart attack.

"Elizabeth...I'm coming! I'm coming Elizabeth"

(for you young ones...see TV Land "Sanford and Son"

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off-topic question, when did DCI come up with the age-limit? How long has it been around?

I mean, before drum corps competed, corps didn't have age limits, did they?

On topic, why would we impose an age limit on II/III? I think if someone wants to continue marching II/III after age 18, they should be allowed. Also, they might not be talented enough to make Div I.

EDIT: I really like this idea overall, though. I don't think Div I would wind up like DCA. It would be akin to golf...you have the amateurs (Div II/III), pros (Div I...and maybe, as has been stated, they really could be paid), and the senior tour (DCA, for people who were too old to be Div I-level competitive).

Edited by marimbaman89

After 21, how many people have the time/ability to take three months off and do this. If you reduce practice time to weekends to accommodate, then aren't you going to get LESS quality, not MORE?? I don't think you'd attract the kind of participation from the over-21 crowd that you think to make this worthwhile.

No one would reduce practice time to weekends just to accommodate people over 21. Only people who had the time and money would do it. And I think you'd get more participation than you might expect...just think of all of the people who have marched in DCI since the 90s. Thousands and thousands of people...I think that at least hundreds of them would be able to do this.

Who knows, if this happens and corps become a lot more competitive and entertaining, DCI could become more mainstream, corps would bring in more and more money, as Kingjoe said, and paying performers wouldn't be out of the question. And, this is dreaming really really big here, but who's to say if this didn't happen that DCI couldn't become like a professional sport? Sure it might not be that incredibly popular, but I would looooove to see DCI as a professional sport that was on ESPN and all that stuff. Maybe only finals week would be broadcast, but there could be updates during the season and all on how the season is going.

Imagine this...DCI at the olympics! Wouldn't that be sweet?

Okay, okay...call me crazy for wanting to see DCI on ESPN on the same level as a sport. But I, for one, would love it, if it could ever happen. It would also greatly increase support for keeping music in schools, which we all want.

Edited by marimbaman89

Bump because I like this idea.

The age cap is necessary... even if you don't believe that vets have a LITTLE advantage over a rookie at getting a spot... well, they do. They have an idae of how the organization works. Removing them ALLOWS rookies to get into the corps... if vets never aged-out... well, you could conceivably have the exact same corps... maybe a few newbies every once in a while... for a good, what, 5... 10 years? :doh:

The age cap is necessary... even if you don't believe that vets have a LITTLE advantage over a rookie at getting a spot... well, they do. They have an idae of how the organization works. Removing them ALLOWS rookies to get into the corps... if vets never aged-out... well, you could conceivably have the exact same corps... maybe a few newbies every once in a while... for a good, what, 5... 10 years? :doh:

I couldn't have said it better myself. In DCI vets rarely get cut unless they screw up. Granted there isn't a DCA corps in every town, but they are moving in a positive direction to make it as available to age outs as they can. I've marched in both and there's a BIG difference. DCI corps' correct youthful indescretion. DCA corps' have a low tolerence for it.

People over 21 = out of college, away from the support of their parents, in the real world. In the real world, you usually can't stop working for 3 months and blow $2000+ in that same period.

Edited by Penguin