Phantom Show ideas for next year

They should do an inside-out show. Three Ballads and one fast movement.

Fire of Eternal Glory, Serenade for Strings (Or Elsa), *insert fast piece here*, and Amazing Grace...the field would be overflowing with babies that had been thrown!!!

(I know this will never happen...but it would be AWESOME)

:music:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always post this. Please do show based on A. Mozart's Requiem in D Minor.

New World Symphony again.

or perhaps a show based on all the various suites of east european dances >_>

Armenian Dances

Tartarian Dances

Slavonic Dances

Hungarian Dances

etc...

It's not classical, but it would be the perfect show for Phantom Regiment:

Alfred Reed's Armenian Dances

I've had this idea in my head for a while. Basically I would set up the show like this

Opener:

-Tzirani Tzar (Mvmt. I, section 1)- Used as an introduction, maybe backfield, leading up to the big push

-Gakavi Yerk (Mvmt. I, section 2)- Slow section, bridge between introduction of the opener and the next section

-Hoy, Nazan Eem (Mvmt. I, section 3)- Fast dance section, the core of the opener, which features each brass section trading off the licks, finishes with a huge ending with material from the beginning of this section

Second number:

-Khoomar (Mvmt. II)- The wedding dance, used to give the audience a chance to rest in an atmosphere of a sweet village wedding scene

Percussion Feature:

-Lorva Horovel (Mvmt. IV)- The frantic plow song, with the fierce melodies first played by the brass, and then the drumline is given a chance to throw down

Ballad:

-Alagyaz (Mvmt. I, section 4)- The majestic ode the mountains of Armenia, it would probably be the most beautiful ballad put on the field

Closer:

-Gna, Gna (Mvmt. II, section 5)- The exciting, circus-like dance, which never loses energy, speeding all the way through to a huge company front where a push where the theme from Alagyaz and a high-powered ending incorporating all of the major themes of the show

This is hands down my favorite piece of wind ensemble literature, and Regiment would be the perfect corps to do it. It portrays the rich culture and history of Armenia so effectively through the music, and only drum and bugle corps could take it to the next level.

Wikipedia has a pretty good writeup for those unfamiliar with the piece. You should really try to find it somewhere if you haven't already.

Thoughts?

It's not classical, but it would be the perfect show for Phantom Regiment:

Alfred Reed's Armenian Dances

I've had this idea in my head for a while. Basically I would set up the show like this

Opener:

-Tzirani Tzar (Mvmt. I, section 1)- Used as an introduction, maybe backfield, leading up to the big push

-Gakavi Yerk (Mvmt. I, section 2)- Slow section, bridge between introduction of the opener and the next section

-Hoy, Nazan Eem (Mvmt. I, section 3)- Fast dance section, the core of the opener, which features each brass section trading off the licks, finishes with a huge ending with material from the beginning of this section

Second number:

-Khoomar (Mvmt. II)- The wedding dance, used to give the audience a chance to rest in an atmosphere of a sweet village wedding scene

Percussion Feature:

-Lorva Horovel (Mvmt. IV)- The frantic plow song, with the fierce melodies first played by the brass, and then the drumline is given a chance to throw down

Ballad:

-Alagyaz (Mvmt. I, section 4)- The majestic ode the mountains of Armenia, it would probably be the most beautiful ballad put on the field

Closer:

-Gna, Gna (Mvmt. II, section 5)- The exciting, circus-like dance, which never loses energy, speeding all the way through to a huge company front where a push where the theme from Alagyaz and a high-powered ending incorporating all of the major themes of the show

This is hands down my favorite piece of wind ensemble literature, and Regiment would be the perfect corps to do it. It portrays the rich culture and history of Armenia so effectively through the music, and only drum and bugle corps could take it to the next level.

Wikipedia has a pretty good writeup for those unfamiliar with the piece. You should really try to find it somewhere if you haven't already.

Thoughts?

With all due respect to the late great Dr. Reed, #### no

Now anyway, I think Symphony of Psalms by Stravinsky would be a good fit for Phantom in some form.

Stravinsky > Alfred Reed

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Oh I just don't like it. Actually, I don't think I've ever liked anything I've heard/played by Reed except for Russian Christmas Music. There's a lot of wind ensemble music that would work for drum corps fine (Terpsichore by Bob Margolis...someone has to do it, and I will keep saying it) but Alfred Reed is one of the last people I'd think to use. He's not even in my top 20 of favorite writers for wind ensemble. I know I know, I'm committing sacrilege for not liking Alfred Reed, but I just don't like it :(

My yearly contributions to this list:

I would love to see another all-opera show. And I would love to have them call it "Phantom at the Opera" as they were planning to do in 1991. Some choices: La Donna e Mobile, E Lucevan le Stelle, Un Bel Di, La Boheme, Anvil Chorus from "Il Trovatore"

I would love to see a Romeo and Juliet show based on music from all the composers who have written R&J themes (Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Berlioz, Gounod, etc).

Janacek's "Sinfonietta" must be done by Regiment at some point before I die. This would be fantastic for them, especially the opener and the third movement.

Other orchestral works I would like to see Regiment tackle:

Warsaw Concerto - Richard Addinsell

Pagan Symphony - Granville Bantock

Thalaba the Destroyer - Granville Bantock

Roumanian Folk Dances - Bela Bartok

Miraculous Mandarin - Bela Bartok

Suite Pastorale - Emmanuel Chabrier

Symphony No. 8 -Antonin Dvorak

Enigma Variations - Edward Elgar (a whole show based on it, not just Nimrod)

Bachannale - Charles Griffes

Symphony No. 4 - Gustav Mahler

Symphony No. 6 (Gustav Mahler)

Requiem (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)

Histoire du Tango (Astor Piazzola)

Symphony No. 6 (Sergei Prokofiev)

Lieutenant Kije Suite (Sergei Prokofiev)

Love for Three Oranges (Sergei Prokofiev)

New Morning for the World (Joseph Schwantner)

History of the Soldier (Igor Stravinsky)

Symphony No. 3 (Eduard Tubin)

Sinfonia Antartica (Ralph Vaughan Williams)

Requiem (Guiseppe Verdi)

Capriol Suite (Peter Warlock AKA Phillip Heseltine)

Holberg Suite (Edward Elgar)

Simple Symphony (Benjamin Britten)

And even though it would be a tad weird for them to do it, I would LOVE to see them tackle a Radiohead show.

Oh no, I better be careful, I am sure my post will be construed as being critical of the Regiment somehow.

Either of those 2 would be Excellent!!!

I never understood why corps would buy the rights in the first place. Most people don't know about drum corps. Do you REALLY think like, James Barnes would ever find out if a corps arranged and played his Symphony No. 3? I don't. If I were an arranger I wouldn't really worry about the legal stuff.

Seriously?

Come on, you're better than this.

It is a matter of honesty and ethics. And frankly, I think that given James' university and education connections, someone would probably tip him off to it at some point. Why take that risk?

Obviously, the Cadets never thought Ron Nelson would find out about them using Rocky Point Holiday in 1983....but he did. And he was royally ticked (his exact words to me were "They stuck the &*#$^#* thing in the middle of Bernstein's Mass. I mean...what the (#&$"). Cavaliers didn't think Maslanka would mind them using a portion of Child's Garden of Dreams in 1989....but he did, and they had to stop using it.

Why take that risk, when MOST composers will work with you and grant permission?