When it's time to walk away-

the narration stuff will take care of itself. I'm sure it's been noted that the extent they used it wasn't as effective as they'd hoped.

But it was 4th in guard and percussion, esp the .65 gap in percussion, that really hurt.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim,

You were not "pushed away"...you chose to leave because you do not like the product on display. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't blame DCI for your dislike of the current junior activity; it's you yourself who can't accept the corps of today.

As has always been the case, even pre-DCI.

No - not quite. I think we've established that I'm part of a growing demographic that DCI no longer cares about. Pushed away, cut loose, whatever you want to call it, DCI doesn't want me, and just lately, I don't want it either.

Edited by kusankusho

No - not quite. I think we've established that I'm a demographic that DCI no longer cares about. Pushed away, cut loose, whatever you want to call it, DCI doesn't want me, and just lately, I don't want it either.

If they did not want the legacy fans why would they schedule performances by alumni corps, such as Bayonne and Anaheim, at top events?

Why have a Classic Countdown...why sell Legacy DVD's?

Shows I attend have mix of young and old fans, and they all seem to enjoy what they see and hear, on the whole.

If they did not want the legacy fans why would they schedule performances by alumni corps, such as Bayonne and Anaheim, at top events?

Why have a Classic Countdown...why sell Legacy DVD's?

Shows I attend have mix of young and old fans, and they all seem to enjoy what they see and hear, on the whole.

The fact that these things are popular should tell you something. But as for the demographic, it's been discussed before. It's the young band crowd that's being courted.

The fact that these things are popular should tell you something. But as for the demographic, it's been discussed before. It's the young band crowd that's being courted.

Yes, the bulk of the marketing is aimed at them, as it should be. Doesn't mean DCI wants the legacy fans to go away. It just means that to continue to attract and grow the audience, the band market is the best place for DCI to spend scarce $$$.

Yes, the bulk of the marketing is aimed at them, as it should be. Doesn't mean DCI wants the legacy fans to go away. It just means that to continue to attract and grow the audience, the band market is the best place for DCI to spend scarce $$$.

To say what you have just admitted in a different way, I'm sure they would like it if we kept throwing my money at them, but in the grand scheme, we're expendable.

To say what you have just admitted in a different way, I'm sure they would like it if we kept throwing my money at them, but in the grand scheme, we're expendable.

Well, I see it as more focussing on where the growth is. Legacy fans are already with and attend shows, if they so choose. There is little impetus for marketing to that part of the audience. Much better to focus on the larger growth opportunities.

Doesn't mean they are considered 'expendable'...that's why those things I mentioned ARE happening.

You know, most 12-15 year olds are not allowed to work at all, or in a VERY limited capacity in the U.S. There are child labor laws and such... Here’s another point: More and more kids are working not only for themselves, but also to augment the “family’s” income. So that $7,400/year per kid on non-essential purchases quote you put out there is probably not as accurate as you would like for us to believe ($7,400 x 26,000,000 = 192,400,000,000).

These figures are averaged and do have some variations by region. This includes all kinds of sources of income that kids have (ex: grandparents giving a kid cash for a birthday is considered income).

What is interesting to note is that over the past 15 years, youth sources of income has dramatically diversified. Kids are making money from jobs, neighborhood jobs (babysitting, lawn mowing, etc.). One thing that is very unique about the current generation is that they are re-sellers. This has never happened with a previous generation. With the constant changes in versions of technology available (i-pods, xbox, mobile phones, computers, etc.), kids are actually reselling things that they own (on eBay, to friends, etc.) before they become dated, significantly contributing to their sources of revenue.

Again, this generation is something quite unique compared to previous generations and the way they generate income.

These figures are averaged and do have some variations by region. This includes all kinds of sources of income that kids have (ex: grandparents giving a kid cash for a birthday is considered income).

What is interesting to note is that over the past 15 years, youth sources of income has dramatically diversified. Kids are making money from jobs, neighborhood jobs (babysitting, lawn mowing, etc.). One thing that is very unique about the current generation is that they are re-sellers. This has never happened with a previous generation. With the constant changes in versions of technology available (i-pods, xbox, mobile phones, computers, etc.), kids are actually reselling things that they own (on eBay, to friends, etc.) before they become dated, significantly contributing to their sources of revenue.

Again, this generation is something quite unique compared to previous generations and the way they generate income.

I think you will also fined that the family income level on the whole for band kids attending corps shows is on the higher side than the population as a whole. Just a guess, but it's MHO.

Well, I see it as more focussing on where the growth is. Legacy fans are already with and attend shows, if they so choose.

and many of us are choosing to walk away now because of the dramatic changes in the form

you can't keep taking us for granted, you can't keep pushing us and expect us to come back, this is the line in the sand for many - I'm one voice on here but I know several people that share my opinon (they don't post here nor would they fight it, they'd just blow it off and walk away -in fact, they might have already walked away if I didn't buy tickets and drag them along to show)

I’d guess that DCI has lost more legacy fans due to adding amps, narration and chopped upped music books than they have gained new fans by adding amps and narration

And anyone that went to finals this year, the biggest money show of the year – knows that its make up was overwhelmingly legacy and older fans in attendance

So if you work on the show all year just for finals, why would you so quickly discount those fans that actually attended ‘the most important show’ of the year?

I really believe that one corps this year will drive more fans away than they’ll ever recruit. I don’t even think they should be shown on the broadcast because their show is a poor representation of the activity that will repel people and make a mockery of and taint the entire activity. Their new style show is bad for the image of DCI.