New Bluecoats visual staff....

I think they should keep their current staff. They had an excellent program........I think it was just a tough year with a lot of great visual shows. Mitch Rogers deserves to remain as their visual designer. He is very very creative.

But what about the year before, when they had a 4th place corps and 6th place visual, and 7th in GE Vis?

Or in 2004 when they had a 6th place corps and 8th place visual (with 9th place in Performance)?

Or in 2003 when they had a 7th place corps and 8th place visual?

In 2005 they did have a 5th place corps and 5th place visual.

For those keeping track:

2007 - 7th place corps, 7th place vis.

2006 - 4th place corps, 6th place vis.

2005 - 5th place corps, 5th place vis.

2004 - 6th place corps, 8th place vis.

2003 - 7th place corps, 8th place vis.

So in five years, they had:

* two years when the visual was on par with the corps: Once a Top 5 finish, once 7th place

* one year when the visual was only one placement behind the corps: 8th place vis, 7th place corps

* 2 years when the visual was TWO placements behind the corps (4th place corps & 6th place visual; 6th place corps and 8th place visual)

In that same span:

2007 - 7th place corps, 3rd place music

2006 - 4th place corps, 4th place music

2005 - 5th place corps, 5th place music

2004 - 6th place corps, 6th place music

2003 - 7th place corps, 6th place music

In the past five years, when the corps was mostly on an upswing of improvement, their visual scores have more often than not been a detriment to the corps. Conversely, their music scores have either placed the same as the corps, or higher. That is a trend, and troubling if you're wanting to see the corps to be Top 3. This corps has ridden as far as they have the last five years largely due to their music scores. It will be MUCH much harder to break Top 3 without comparable visual scores at the very least.

Again, I don't know how long you let the current staff and visual designers build their programs. Part of me thinks that 2 years is not enough time for a Caption Head to establish their visual style and program. But I think it's obvious that something has to change if the Bluecoats want to continue their success in the Top 6, and possibly move up to Top 3.

Edited by perc2100

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what about the year before, when they had a 4th place corps and 6th place visual, and 7th in GE Vis?

Or in 2004 when they had a 6th place corps and 8th place visual (with 9th place in Performance)?

Or in 2003 when they had a 7th place corps and 8th place visual?

In 2005 they did have a 5th place corps and 5th place visual.

For those keeping track:

2007 - 7th place corps, 7th place vis.

2006 - 4th place corps, 6th place vis.

2005 - 5th place corps, 5th place vis.

2004 - 6th place corps, 8th place vis.

2003 - 7th place corps, 8th place vis.

So in five years, they had:

* two years when the visual was on par with the corps: Once a Top 5 finish, once 7th place

* one year when the visual was only one placement behind the corps: 8th place vis, 7th place corps

* 2 years when the visual was TWO placements behind the corps (4th place corps & 6th place visual; 6th place corps and 8th place visual)

In that same span:

2007 - 7th place corps, 3rd place music

2006 - 4th place corps, 4th place music

2005 - 5th place corps, 5th place music

2004 - 6th place corps, 6th place music

2003 - 7th place corps, 6th place music

In the past five years, when the corps was mostly on an upswing of improvement, their visual scores have more often than not been a detriment to the corps. Conversely, their music scores have either placed the same as the corps, or higher. That is a trend, and troubling if you're wanting to see the corps to be Top 3. This corps has ridden as far as they have the last five years largely due to their music scores. It will be MUCH much harder to break Top 3 without comparable visual scores at the very least.

Again, I don't know how long you let the current staff and visual designers build their programs. Part of me thinks that 2 years is not enough time for a Caption Head to establish their visual style and program. But I think it's obvious that something has to change if the Bluecoats want to continue their success in the Top 6, and possibly move up to Top 3.

Thats a lot of info for not much punch. Having a section of your corps be a placement or 2 behind the rest of your corps seems to be a small issue, and one that deserved a little tweaking at the moment, not major upheaval...

Actually, in 2005, we got 4th in visual performance with a 19.1 ahead of the Blue Devils 19.0. Maybe after '05, BD should have gotten a new visual staff.

Between years, I believe the 2007 corps marched just as good or better than my 2005 corps. That even goes against my bias for my age out year.

picCalculator.jpg

Actually, using one of those for a dotbook can be pretty intense... :laugh: :P

They marched extremely well. Better than they ever have. I think a new drill designer and guard staff would do the trick.

Nail. Head. Bang.