This isnt really a review of the show. Just some thoughts on things as I saw them.

Three lines on each corps.....good, bad or indifferent. My opinions only.

If what I say doesnt make you happy, feel free to express your feelings in any manner you like. Don't let the fact that it doesnt matter to me in the least rain on your parade.

THE VENUE

West Haven stadium is second only to JFK in Bridgeport as the best DCA regular season venue, in my opinion.

The concessions were above average, but Waterbury is still the king.

The stands are high and steep. Last row is still close enough to get your hair parted if theres a corps their capable of it.

I was in the last row on the left 40 yard line for the whole show.

FUSION CORPS

Relative to expectations, I was more impressed with this corps than anyone else on the field last night. They march and play like nobody told them they're a first year corps. Really!

Should have had a MUCH bigger spread in brass over Sunrisers than they did. Ensemble brass judge must've been taking a phone call or something while they were on. The contra line could tone it down a little bit, but one tenth over Sun in brass was laughable.

Percussion and guard are technically sound, but just do not have the numbers to deliver the show well enough to be competetive. If recruiting in those areas goes well over the winter, Fusion will contend for the class A title next season.

SUNRISERS

Percussion and guard have for the most part retained the quality from the past few seasons.

Josh is a contrabeast holding up the bottom by himself.

White shoes, please.

BUSHWHACKERS

Color guard was ON FIRE last night!!! They were nailing it and they knew it. You could see how much fun they were having doing this show. Could easily take best color guard next weekend.

I had heard that the percussion secction was not good this year and that is NOT true. BUT, they are probably not good enough to support a "top 3" push next week like the rest of the corps is.

This is my favorite Bush show since 1986 when they kicked my ### in Allentown.

BONUS LINE FOR BUSH.........If you close your eyes and think of red and black during this show, you can envision what the Skyliners might be doing in 2007 in a better world than this one. I'm sure it wasnt your intention when you chose and designed this show, but thank you for that.

EMPIRE STATESMEN

I badly wanted to love this show. I'm a big Maynard fan and Maynard and Empire seem like a perfect match. But it's just not doing it for me. Could be that it's because the songs maybe arent the ones I'd have chosen.

While Taps played as a tribute to a fallen hero is a touching and heartfelt display, playing it in the middle of your show every weekend for points is cheesy. Admittedly, the crowd as a whole doesnt seem to mind. But personally I think it's one of the most uncomfortable moments ever in drum corps.

Empire was by far the crowd favorite this night. Even the home crowd bias for Hurcs didnt get them a better pop than Statesmen. I guess thats what "Statesmen Style" is all about.

HURRICANES

Over the past 4-5 years, this has quietly been the most improved corps in DCA. Whatever you're doing, keep on doing it because it's working. I could see this show possibly suprising some people next weekend by breaking the top 6.

Except for perhaps Cabs at Clifton, this is the most "hometown favorite" display in DCA. West Haven LOVES their Hurricanes and let em know it. They got a bigger crowd pop coming on the field than all but Empire got going off. Very cool.

After the performance, I heard three different people around me saying "Aw, they didnt play the Hurricanes song" ......presumably Mag 7. It was ok, though....I'm sure one of the alumni covered it for you, and you'll get around to it again sometime.

IN GENERAL

Nobody....NOBODY....was clean enough for August 25th. No one was "horrible", but for crying out loud....championships are next week!!!! You have to be just NAILING it now! I hope you've all got a lot of rehearsal scheduled for this week. And Renegades and Minnesota.....if you got game this year, bring it hard. This is your chance to break the top 3. Seriously.

The spreads tonight were silly. Empire was not 3 points better than Bush. Bush was not 4 points better than Hurcs. Sun was not nearly 2.7 better than Fusion.

And.......EVERYONE was scored too high in my opinion.

Barring a cataclysmic breakdown in their show next weekend, the Buccaneers have nothing to fear from the West Haven slate.

Best of luck to everyone in Rochester next week.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While Taps played as a tribute to a fallen hero is a touching and heartfelt display, playing it in the middle of your show every weekend for points is cheesy. Admittedly, the crowd as a whole doesnt seem to mind. But personally I think it's one of the most uncomfortable moments ever in drum corps.

I'm sorry to disagree with you. Opinions are opinions and not everyone gets enjoyment out of the same thing. I get that. However, Taps for Maynard was never meant for cheesy easy points. We perform Taps not just for Maynard, but for everyone that never had taps played for them. If you know of the story of this organization, you obviously know its personal connection. This is meant to be one of the most special and different moments in DCA, which is frequently appreciated by many fans who have actually approached me and other corps members to tell us how special that piece was for them. Again, if some people find it uncomfortable, I feel sorry for them, but that is just an opinion. I just hope that nobody assumes that the Empire Statesmen have taken advantage of such an emotional song for so many people and simply use it in order to make easy points. This piece is so much more than that, and we are all thankful for those people who are able to connect personally with it because many of us feel the same way.

I'm sorry to disagree with you. Opinions are opinions and not everyone gets enjoyment out of the same thing. I get that. However, Taps for Maynard was never meant for cheesy easy points. We perform Taps not just for Maynard, but for everyone that never had taps played for them. If you know of the story of this organization, you obviously know its personal connection. This is meant to be one of the most special and different moments in DCA, which is frequently appreciated by many fans who have actually approached me and other corps members to tell us how special that piece was for them. Again, if some people find it uncomfortable, I feel sorry for them, but that is just an opinion. I just hope that nobody assumes that the Empire Statesmen have taken advantage of such an emotional song for so many people and simply use it in order to make easy points. This piece is so much more than that, and we are all thankful for those people who are able to connect personally with it because many of us feel the same way.

You beat me to it Adam, well said. If anyone thinks that Taps is being performed for "easy points" then they are completely missing something in our performance. I'd write more, but I think you covered it nicely.

Patrick

Edited by Patrick_D

From what I heard, I thought Taps was gourgeous.

Thats all I'm gonna say

BUSHWHACKERS

Color guard was ON FIRE last night!!! They were nailing it and they knew it. You could see how much fun they were having doing this show. Could easily take best color guard next weekend.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed us... I won't speak for anyone else but I know I love performing that show.

It was definitely great to see you last night!

EMPIRE STATESMEN

I badly wanted to love this show. I'm a big Maynard fan and Maynard and Empire seem like a perfect match. But it's just not doing it for me. Could be that it's because the songs maybe arent the ones I'd have chosen.

Empire was by far the crowd favorite this night. Even the home crowd bias for Hurcs didnt get them a better pop than Statesmen. I guess thats what "Statesmen Style" is all about.

The spreads tonight were silly. Empire was not 3 points better than Bush. Bush was not 4 points better than Hurcs. Sun was not nearly 2.7 better than Fusion.

And.......EVERYONE was scored too high in my opinion.

Barring a cataclysmic breakdown in their show next weekend, the Buccaneers have nothing to fear from the West Haven slate.

well i respect your opinion, not all shows are liked by everyone... but at the same time we must be doing something right though :)

FUSION CORPS

Relative to expectations, I was more impressed with this corps than anyone else on the field last night. They march and play like nobody told them they're a first year corps. Really!

Should have had a MUCH bigger spread in brass over Sunrisers than they did. Ensemble brass judge must've been taking a phone call or something while they were on. The contra line could tone it down a little bit, but one tenth over Sun in brass was laughable.

Percussion and guard are technically sound, but just do not have the numbers to deliver the show well enough to be competetive. If recruiting in those areas goes well over the winter, Fusion will contend for the class A title next season.

Thanks very much for the review!

Thanks for the honest review.

Its interesting to see the range of oppinions fans and corpsnuts alike have on all the shows. Weather people love or hate, its neat to see the emotional reactions caused from a performance...

to Patrick and Adam- I <3 you both. You both chose your words wisely, and gave excelent report of what we're doing this for.

to sunsnare06- just, Thank you.

From my P.O.V. as a performer, the audience seemed to mostly enjoy us- and the other corps. Bushwackers came off the field pretty happy and even waved to us to say it was a fun crowd to perform for. What a lovely way to cheer on other corps! Thank you Bush! :)

Although not my personal best, there was alot of energy coming from the horns, gaurd and percussion behind me (and infront of me!) Its a mixture of that and the audience that really inspire me as a performer!

I hope all the corps had a good show last night, and I just want to personaly wish every one good luck for finals. It'll certiantly be an exciting weekend!

Take Care

Edited by phoenix_aurora