What changes would you make to improve drum corps?

I would require all D-1 corps to hire at least a part-time Director of Development. There's a lot of money out there on the table to be solicited. Plus, for the older corps, alumni are fertile ground for fundraising. But you have to have a professional doing it-

And I'm sure there's plenty of us development professionals who are corps alums looking to a) subsidize the non-profit habit we've already got B) want to help out the activity any way we can.

Just a side note though... fundraising is supposed to be a main function of the board of directors, but I read a study last week that only 35% of non-profit boards even talk about the subject, let alone do anything.

SO... another option to hiring someone is to maybe have board of directors retreats across the country with an established fundraiser to get these boards into the right midset. Maybe do one in the west, one in the midwest and another in the east.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Create a major regional or some sort of title show in Washington, D.C.

It could be held at RFK (though it wearing down a bit) or Redskins Stadium in Landover (I know it's call FedEx field, but I refuse to call it that for my own reasons).

Redskins Stadium is the biggest in the National Football Leauge and can seat over 90,000 people. With a little advertising around the D.C. area (and if D.C. can get around to making a corps), the turnout would be amazing and might even trump the attendance numbers at finals.

It could be held at RFK (though it wearing down a bit) or Redskins Stadium in Landover (I know it's call FedEx field, but I refuse to call it that for my own reasons).

Redskins Stadium is the biggest in the National Football Leauge and can seat over 90,000 people. With a little advertising around the D.C. area (and if D.C. can get around to making a corps), the turnout would be amazing and might even trump the attendance numbers at finals.

Given 2000, I hardly call that one "realistic".

80,000, but it's still the biggest in the league.

Great topic, Michael. My ideas:

- Registration with DCI. Remove the onus of proving ages for corps and have everyone provide their birth certificates with DCI.

- Use the registration to provide a database of DCI registrants so corps can do their recruiting. If they haven't already made a corps already or at least self-identified, corps can do their recruiting.

Great topic, Michael. My ideas:

- Registration with DCI. Remove the onus of proving ages for corps and have everyone provide their birth certificates with DCI.

- Use the registration to provide a database of DCI registrants so corps can do their recruiting. If they haven't already made a corps already or at least self-identified, corps can do their recruiting.

Interesting idea... very labor intensive... but interesting. I wonder if all the corps would chip in the $$ to have the person on DCI's staff.

Given 2000, I hardly call that one "realistic".

Curious....what was bad about 2000?

edit - i know they lost that stadium, but is there any reason to think it would be a problem again?

Edited by euponitone

I agree with FED EX field, It's a wonderful stadium and the acoustics and sight lines are great. RFK is an echo chamber, It's great for DC United games and barely good for National games. Collage Park, Maryland 2000 was a last minute rush job by DCI when the FED EX deal fell through due to the Skins changing ownership. But with long term planing Collage Park could be a great venue too.

As far as changes: Tickets prices are too high at regionals and finals. No alcohol at drum corps shows.( drink afterward with your friends)