Dann Peterson named new Scouts corps director!

I’ve also never heard of him, so help me out. The announcement was very “heavy” on his academic credentials in International Studies, but unclear on stating exactly where he’s been and what he’s been doing for drum corps in recent years. Was he on staff at any of the corps mentioned in the last couple of years and, if so, in what capacity? Is there a bio available anywhere that I might have overlooked?

Good luck to Dann and the Scouts.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, this is great news for the Scouts! I was honored to work with Dann when I marched at Southwind, and I must say that he is one of the chillest, most inspirational people I have ever met. If you get a chance to hear some of his stories, you will know what I mean. He is a great man, and a great educator. Best of luck to the Scouts this year, though I know now that they won't need it!

And really? He's that Dann? Sweet.

This may sound odd (and perhaps I'm just projecting on this) but I'm actually thrilled that his educational background seems ot be NON-music related. I only like this because, (again, to me) it seems that he would then be coming in with an "average fan" type of perspective. Make no mistake, considering his corps experience, I'm sure he's got the musical pedigree, but because he's not a professor in music theory or have a master's or doctorate in composition, etc., that he won't necessarily be caught up in OVER-theorizing or manipulating the music and would present shows much akin to those he participated in from 1992-1997.

Perhaps this is just in the announcements I find myself reading, but so many of the "new staff" announcements from others corps focus on the typically extensive drum corps, marching band, and WGI experience someone has.

It just seems to offer a fresh perspective and is (hopefully) going to be proof that you don't need a degree in music to know how to put together an enjoyable, appealing show.

Best of luck to him and the Scouts.

Edited by pags

Perhaps this is just in the announcements I find myself reading, but so many of the "new staff" announcements from others corps focus on the typically extensive drum corps, marching band, and WGI experience someone has.

It just seems to offer a fresh perspective and is (hopefully) going to be proof that you don't need a degree in music to know how to put together an enjoyable, appealing show.

Gosh, I know this is going to sound hyper-critical, but I found the announcement to be fairly poor. Inasmuch as I am impressed with his academic qualifications and travel experiences, this is an announcement for a specific position that happens to be a Director of a drum corps. Consequently, I believe it might have been far more appropriate to identify his qualifications that are relevant (or directly relevant) to the job into which he was hired. This could have been easily accomplished by merely providing a link to his bio. (As I mentioned in my other post, if there is a bio and I missed it, I apologize). The announcement was very specific with regard to his experience as a corps member, but very vague with regard to his specific involvement at the corps mentioned in the announcement. Consequently, for those of us who don’t know him, I believe it’s reasonable to assume he might not have been actively involved in recent years or that they made a volitional choice not to disclose the levels at which he was involved in these corps.

Again, I am not trying to be overly critical, but I scratch my head when I read a vague announcement that is disclosing a decision that obviously took a great deal of thought and planning. I wonder why they didn’t spend a little more time to put together a thorough announcement that specifies relevant facts, puts an extremely positive spin on the information, and most important, creates excitement. I think it’s great so many who know him are excited, but for those of us who don’t, the announcement didn’t provide much to be overly excited about… or more appropriately stated, I am certain there is more relevant and excited things that could have been included about Dann. I offer this in jest, but based on the announcement, I’d be more inclined to hire him as a Professor of International Studies than a corps director. I’m not in any way faulting him and wish him the best of luck, but I am a stickler when it comes to the importance of effective press releases and IMO this one missed the mark.

Dann has been preparing himself to lead organizations to help bring resources and teams around the world with differing issues and crisis'. That gives him educational background in organization, logistics, management, etc. Along with the formal education, Dann brings a wealth of knowledge about drum corps in his positions of leadership through Junior Scouts, Scouts, Southwind and again this past summer with The Scouts. He brings a wealth of knowledge and resources that add another huge piece to the Madison Scout Puzzle. He is the right guy for the corps directorship. I stood on the field with him, taught him and taught with him and I most importantly believe in him.

MYNWA,

Brent

This is the best news I've heard all summer. :doh:

Brent, you would had been a great choice too.

I most importantly believe in him.

MYNWA,

Brent

To me this highlights the difference between marching band directors and Drum Corps directors. The former are hired with heavy emphasis on their musical knowledge, whereas the latter are hired primarily for their organizational and motivational skills, much like a CEO is hired to lead a corporation.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Dann has been involved with the Madison organization pretty much every year for the past 7 or 8 years in some capacity. I recall seeing him almost every year when I went to shows.

In any event, Dann was a great leader and motivator back in 98 when he was a visual tech at Pioneer. Those of us who knew him then could tell that he was headed in the right direction... towards something special. Well, he's reached that point and he's the right man for the job. Congrats to him!

I marched with, was instructed by, and taught with Dann at Madison. In my ten years with the Scouts I have met many many incredible people. If I had to pick one person out of all those people to use as an example of what a "Madison Scout" should be on and off the field, it would be Dann Peterson. I am extremely excited for him and for the corps.

To the Madison Scouts: Outstanding Choice!!!! Dann Peterson is the "Old Bull"

Congratulations Madison, and congratulations Dann.

John L. Scruggs

Director of Bands

Humboldt City Schools

Madison Scouts

Baritone 97-00

Visual Staff 01-06

this is great news for the madison scouts organization. I have known Dann for about 6 years and have never had a more inspirational teacher than him. He is a great motivator and has taught me in my high school marching band & indoor drumline, as well as my three years in Southwind, and I could not possibly have become the music teacher I am without his guiding hand and support. While his background is NOT in music, he has formed many "average" groups into top notch organizations, and i am extremely excited for Madison's future.

Congrats Dann.

thanks for all you have taught me.