Crown is not the new Star

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hated crowns show this year!

it was just plain stupid!

Out of all the opinions you could have had, that is certainly one of them! :wub:

Edited by ^Michael^

look, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just saying that things have changed in drum corps since the 80s...there may have been some type of upper body uniformity in the 80s and early 90s, but my point is that is it different from today...just look at a photo of two from that period. The horn angles are not nearly as high (they are actually like parallel with the ground), elbow angles are much lower (more like UNDER the horn to support the extra length and weight of the G bugle) and posture is not tilted to the front (again probably because of the bugle)...

...while there is nothing wrong with upper bodies at that time, that kind of stuff today looks a little out of place.

While one might make an argument that other things compare to that time period (attitude, musical style, etc.) I was simply questioning the merit of literally comparing the stature of Crown today with that of Cadets circa the 1980s

Man, I don't know what pics you are looking at. We were trained to have good posture in order to get good airflow while keeping the throught open to get a good round sound. The left hand supported most of the weight of the horn with the right hand working the two valves and of course supporting the horn as well. The arms formed a triangle same as today. Horn angles were to be to whatever height the audience was at. Large staduims produced higher angles than small staduims. I have noticed pics of people with valve rotar bugles with the left hand on the bottom of the bugle, maybe that's what you are seeing. Some corps still had some of these in the 80's. We had fairly new King Bugles that are lighter than 3 valve bugles and Bb/F horns.

Form was a big deal for us in 85 and still was when I marched 87 and still was when my sis aged out in 90. Not much has changed in that regard from the 80s til now. We were not the best marching corps in DCI but we did know how important individual posture was.

The 60's and 70's do look a little different because most of the equipment was different. Marching style and show style was a lot different as well. More military and a lot less what some people call foo foo stuff.

I'd be happy to discuss this stuff more as long as people are civil.

You guys/gals need to get a grip.

Crown is really good. I mostly watched the Hornline and noticed they marched with the stature of Cadets of the 80s. This is not a slam on Cadets or Crown but really a compliment to Crown. I must be looking at it from a different perspective. It's just something I saw and I think is significant. If you guys don't see it, oh well.

I'm not saying they are carbon copies or that the Crown staff planned on having their corps look like another.

I really like the new uniforms Crown has and hope they keep that look for a while. It's a lot better than those horizontal stripes. I aslo like the way the performers carry themselves and hope that stays the same. I look forward to seeing Crown again next year.

I hope they move up a couple places at finals next year. :music:

I agree with you on Crown's uniform. It makes them look really unique. That, combined with this year's show really made them stand out in my mind. I respect your opinion when you state that they marched with the stature of Cadets of the 80s. I hope they continue to produce shows of the caliber the produced this previous year. The show really stood out and has given me a new found respect for the organization. It is good to see another corps from the east coast that is among the elite. It made this year really good in my opinion because there were two corps from Cali, three corps from the midwest, and two corps from the East all battling it out. And that, I think, is what makes drum corps worth watching. So good luck to you Crown next year. I am really looking forward to seeing the show on the DVD and I look forward to see what new ideas you bring to the field next year.

Man, I don't know what pics you are looking at. We were trained to have good posture in order to get good airflow while keeping the throught open to get a good round sound. The left hand supported most of the weight of the horn with the right hand working the two valves and of course supporting the horn as well. The arms formed a triangle same as today. Horn angles were to be to whatever height the audience was at. Large staduims produced higher angles than small staduims. I have noticed pics of people with valve rotar bugles with the left hand on the bottom of the bugle, maybe that's what you are seeing. Some corps still had some of these in the 80's. We had fairly new King Bugles that are lighter than 3 valve bugles and Bb/F horns.

Form was a big deal for us in 85 and still was when I marched 87 and still was when my sis aged out in 90. Not much has changed in that regard from the 80s til now. We were not the best marching corps in DCI but we did know how important individual posture was.

The 60's and 70's do look a little different because most of the equipment was different. Marching style and show style was a lot different as well. More military and a lot less what some people call foo foo stuff.

I'd be happy to discuss this stuff more as long as people are civil.

Jumping in here - I justed watched some videos from the 80's. I cant speak for other corps (because i just havent seen enough vids), but cadets upper bodies were BAD in the 80's...and didnt get 'good' until, get this....1999. Seriously, most of the current vis staff is from that period, and they would agree in a heartbeat. Doesnt make me love those shows any less....just a fact.

Jumping in here - I justed watched some videos from the 80's. I cant speak for other corps (because i just havent seen enough vids), but cadets upper bodies were BAD in the 80's...and didnt get 'good' until, get this....1999. Seriously, most of the current vis staff is from that period, and they would agree in a heartbeat. Doesnt make me love those shows any less....just a fact.

My upper body was TERRIBLE in 1999....just joking.

OK, I'll have to look at some dvds and compare.

Are the earlier Cadets just not consistent from person to person?

I always thought they looked good.