Muchachos 1975

You're probably right ... Although there's still a lot of immaturity at that age. Or was. The kids today seem to be a lot more mature than we were back in the day, especially in the Open Class powerhouses. I'd be likely to give the kid a pass and hang the administrator by the cajones.

That is a very important statement - one of the very reasons for corps to exist. I would say, anyone can march a parade, but I would have drawn the line when it comes to rules for competition. We had kids that lived for drum corps, never went to school, didn't work etc. They LIVED for drum corps. When they aged out, they were lost. It would be easy to keep them included for support staff back then.

We did have ageouts continue to attend rehearsals during the winter program for a few reasons 1) to help the corps look bigger in winter for prospects, 2) it gave rookies a chance to march with "legends" and get some comfort level, and 3) it helped moral.

I think the rules then were pretty clear back then - you could not be 22 by the day of prelims. As with anything (kids going into kindergarten...) some kids got an extra year, some kids missed it by a few days.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did have ageouts continue to attend rehearsals during the winter program for a few reasons 1) to help the corps look bigger in winter for prospects, 2) it gave rookies a chance to march with "legends" and get some comfort level, and 3) it helped moral.

...which resulted in me learning the contra parts to Donna Summer's "Last Dance". John Bodie and I also got yelled at for sporting beards during the Memorial Day parade in '79. George B. was furious!!

...which resulted in me learning the contra parts to Donna Summer's "Last Dance". John Bodie and I also got yelled at for sporting beards during the Memorial Day parade in '79. George B. was furious!!

I also had a beard when learning Danny Boy on quints (my tri-toms were already sent to the Smithsonian) before the 79 Columbus Day parade - but I knew enough to shave it off for the honor of the corps. FWIW - that parade was calling of former members to fill in the ranks. I remember Steve Groh, Tim Egan, Jack Cash, Dotsy, me and several other dinosaurs filled in. Funny thing, the alumni drummers finally got to wear the Aussie hat since the drum line had abandon the split hat and kilt.

I remember Steve Groh, Tim Egan, Jack Cash, Dotsy, me and several other dinosaurs filled in. Funny thing, the alumni drummers finally got to wear the Aussie hat since the drum line had abandon the split hat and kilt.

After a six year hiatus I put on a uniform I had never worn before, (Pants? how quaint!) and a drum with a carrier. Tyrone and Scott taught me as much as they could in about 30 minutes and left me with this sage advice, "Keep your sticks moving, try not to hit the head..."

BTW congratulations, Jack Cash, and good luck.

BTW congratulations, Jack Cash, and good luck.

Why are you congratulating Jack??

Why are you congratulating Jack??

He is now a teacher in the Wayland school system, a position for which he is more than qualified !

Edited by john2780

• 2 years later...

I guess this will never end. I was there. I watched what happened. I saw Mike Wade turn his wallet over to Pescione. I was the last Contra off the field while this was going on. Nobody can tell me what happened that day was right for any reason. We just had the Corps 50th reunion this summer. We still cry when we wish it didn't happen. It did. We barely have a video of the performance. It is owned by the Troopers (I didn't know corps could own videos of other corps) I thought DCI owned the video...what ever. I would like people who enjoyed our performances and enjoyed the spirit of what the Muchachos brought to the field now that it is 34 years later and let it live in the memories of those who remember. Many of our former members are marching in the Cabs Alumni so I don't believe unless one of us wins the lottery, you will ever see the Muchachos again. And like many of the other corps who have passed, it is a shame.

I guess this will never end. I was there. I watched what happened. I saw Mike Wade turn his wallet over to Pescione. I was the last Contra off the field while this was going on. Nobody can tell me what happened that day was right for any reason. We just had the Corps 50th reunion this summer. We still cry when we wish it didn't happen. It did. We barely have a video of the performance. It is owned by the Troopers (I didn't know corps could own videos of other corps) I thought DCI owned the video...what ever. I would like people who enjoyed our performances and enjoyed the spirit of what the Muchachos brought to the field now that it is 34 years later and let it live in the memories of those who remember. Many of our former members are marching in the Cabs Alumni so I don't believe unless one of us wins the lottery, you will ever see the Muchachos again. And like many of the other corps who have passed, it is a shame.

Tell me about it... this controversy will live on and on... Gizzi and I were right there with Mike when Pesceone and company confronted him... oh well. As far as the video, do you know about the Drum Corps World release coming out any day now? It's got us from 75, Troopers from 75, Commodores from 74 & I think SCV from 74. I think it's from the Troopers' archives...

As far as the video, do you know about the Drum Corps World release coming out any day now? It's got us from 75, Troopers from 75, Commodores from 74 & I think SCV from 74. I think it's from the Troopers' archives...

Timely thread :tongue:

We finally got the green light from the copyright folks. It's expensive because of one of the publishers, and a crazy "favored nations" rule that then drives the cost of all the songs up to whatever is the max. Check it out on the DCW website, should ship by late November... definitely in time for Christmas. SCV, 27th, and Troopers from DATR in 76. Troopers and Muchachos from 75 in Hershey. Commodores from 74 at DATR. Probably some bonus tracks. All are restored and look great, albeit black and white.

Muchachos in Hershey is guaranteed to run chills down your vertebrae... when I was reviewing it on my bigscreen, my fiance (who isn't into corps) stopped, watched the whole show, and said "if the corps today would play music like that, I would go to every show".