Muchachos 1975

OK, just have to ask. Have many overage members were removed from the corps?

Or to put it a nicer way, how many holes did the corps have when they did the "Day After DCI" show at Hershey? (My corps sponsored that show and I watched from the pressbox. :) )

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know who I blame more than anyone - the selfish kid(s) that knew they were marching. Heck - it was easy to get a younger brother's or sister's birth certificate if you wanted to march overage. You could go march with a corps and if you were new, you could get away with it.

I am 100000% certain I know people that marched overage in 1975 with major corps. A great friend of mine - I caught him marching in 1978 with a corps. I called him out on it since we both aged out in 1977.

I too wish Hawthorne could have pulled it off in 1976. It was obviously a kick in the chops and the only ones that lost were the kids who were legit.

To add to the rumor mill (perish the thought!) I have heard that after the DQ, several holes mysteriously appeared in other corps. A warp in the time/space continum? Perhaps, but I think not.

I wonder if the age rules were written in a way to be open somewhat to interpretation. As I understand it w/ Bridgemen in 77, they were planning to maech two 21-year olds (long-time corps vets) until their 22nd birthday during the season, and they were DQ'd for that. The rule was ambiguous enough that they were able to get a court injunction and perform in finals. The current rule (you have to be 21 on day x of the season) is more concrete.

OK, just have to ask. Have many overage members were removed from the corps?

Or to put it a nicer way, how many holes did the corps have when they did the "Day After DCI" show at Hershey? (My corps sponsored that show and I watched from the pressbox. :) )

I remember that "Clap" show pretty well... since it was not a DCI sanctioned show, I believe we marched everyone that night. A few weeks later at the American Legion State Championships in NJ however, we had some blanks, but that was also after college had started up again, so I can't say how many may have been students returned to school, and how many were overage members. I recall that we were thinking about playing "It Was a Very Good Year (our 1974 closer) as our on-field warmup that night, but decided against it.

I have to guess that more than just the roto-tom player were overage members, but as I previously posted, I honestly didn't know who in the corps at that time may have been older than 21. I don't believe it was a huge number of people as stated on other threads over time...

As another funny anecdote, at the NJ American Legion Championships mentioned above, a smaller NJ corps (the Wayne Monarchs) lodged an overage protest against us...but by that time there were no "offending" members left marching......

I remember that "Clap" show pretty well... since it was not a DCI sanctioned show, I believe we marched everyone that night.

That explains the ton of bodies we saw that night.

Funny thing was we had just reformed the year before and came in last place ever show so far in 1975. We had to do an exhibition for th home town fans but decided to go on first.

Ain't no way in #### we were following the likes of Muchachos, Scouts, etc, etc... :sshh:

I remember that "Clap" show pretty well... since it was not a DCI sanctioned show, I believe we marched everyone that night. A few weeks later at the American Legion State Championships in NJ however, we had some blanks, but that was also after college had started up again, so I can't say how many may have been students returned to school, and how many were overage members. I recall that we were thinking about playing "It Was a Very Good Year (our 1974 closer) as our on-field warmup that night, but decided against it.

I have to guess that more than just the roto-tom player were overage members, but as I previously posted, I honestly didn't know who in the corps at that time may have been older than 21. I don't believe it was a huge number of people as stated on other threads over time...

Yes, the September Wildwood show, and the Boonton Harmony corps show held Labor Day weekend had many corps with "swiss cheese" drills; I know we were one of them, as kids went back to school.

As another funny anecdote, at the NJ American Legion Championships mentioned above, a smaller NJ corps (the Wayne Monarchs) lodged an overage protest against us...but by that time there were no "offending" members left marching......

Gee....a name from the past...I was the Monarchs percussion arranger/instructor in 76. :)

I recall that we were thinking about playing "It Was a Very Good Year (our 1974 closer) as our on-field warmup that night, but decided against it.

Cruel, but I remember the sing along "When I was twenty-three, I was a Muchacho rookie"...

Now there is a show idea - "The Clap - A look at Venereal Disease and its Impact on Music and Motion"

Re: Hershey "Clap" shows 1975/1976.....

Billed as "One last chance for the corps to perform their shows without the pressure of being judged"

Translation (Jr version): "One last chance to get gas money for the trip home"

Translation (Sr version): "Show sponsor Westshoremen ran up a LOT of bills getting the corps back on the field and also needs the money".

Actual "judging" was done by a machine that measured "audience response" (whatever the Hades THAT meant) and tabulated by a CPA. At least the CPA part was right, he played Melli in the corps. :P