Mini Corps Reports?

Hi Cathie....

Thank you so much for the great review of the Golden Eagles. We really apprecaite your coments and glad you took the time to write this review.

Oh......and you are MORE than welcome to come on over to the Golden Eagles for next year. If need be, I will personally give you lessons over the winter so you can be there for us. And for the record, just so you have a name....Tom Willms is our drum major. He is also a former drum major for the Bushwackers, and Sunrisers, and who in my opinion, is the one of the BEST Drum Majors to ever go thru the DCA ranks!!!

Thanks so much for the offer. It is greatly appreciated.

In all honesty, I know this... if there ever comes a time that I move to the East Coast area for whatever reason the location of nearby all age corps/mini corps will be a HUGE factor in my decision on where to move. Now that I've been sucked in to this all age thing I don't see an end to it in the foreseeable and not-so-foreseeable future. I'll let you know in 10 or so years if that's a good thing.

All I know is I'm excited as hell to start another season with Dream plus I'm dragging my little brother into it. He has no idea what he's in for.... muahahahahaha! ^0^

Also, thanks for the info on Tom. Every time I watch the video on YouTube I just start cracking up especially at the closer. Talk about a guy who's having fun. I love it!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THAT ... is the kind of thing that can totally RUIN a mini-corps show!

I would like to ask the infamous powers-that-be: Just what is going to be done to ensure this does not happen NEXT year?

Back-up venue?

Rain gear?

Just order LOTS more beer?????

At every show there should be an Ambulance and a BEER TRUCK on standby.

Star United – As someone else mentioned, it was obvious they would win by the middle of the first piece. They were on a whole other level, which I actually give as a compliment and a complaint. As someone else said, “Take that #### and put it on the field.” <-- Also said as a compliment/complaint. You guys were absolutely amazing. I know none of the tunes and yet enjoyed your show immensely. With a show like that you need to be on the field competing. It’s a necessity.

It seems the most “successful” corps were the ones that stuck with the formula of the brass, a set player and a fun accessory here and there. A couple of the corps did some fine work with mallet players as well, but on a whole they, too, were hard to hear. In fact, one of the earlier corps to go on had a full contingency of percussion (battery and pit) and they completely overpowered the remaining horns, which flat out could not be heard in that room.

Thanks for the review of the show Cathie. Reading some of the comments you would think there was a beer show with some Minicorps providing some entertainment here and there. :doh:

I am glad you enjoyed Star United's performance. The DCA audience is a bit intimidating for us, since we do not have the background or experience in doing the in-your-face style of entertainment that is the staple of the Minicorps event. We have to rely on our musicality and ensemble approach to compete and hope that a high level of difficulty and execution will reach the audience. I hope that in this ever growing event there is room for many types of music and approaches. It would be awesome to see some groups break out of the 'Jazz w/drumkit' type of show. The more variety the better.

Minicorps is a great concept and we have a blast working up the music and performing it. Maybe in the future we might take the step of putting our butts on the grass. We would need a few more dedicated people and for some of our babies/children to grow-up a bit before we would have the time to put even a simple field show together. Can our approach and style work in a class A type setting? Maybe that is our next challenge. Time will tell.

For the record our repertoire consisted of;

Skylines -an original composition by former Star member and well known arranger Frank Sullivan.

Horkstow Grange -the second movement of Percy Grainger's Lincolnshire Posey. Arranged by Jim Prime & Star United member Ed M.Cooning IV.

The Overture to Candide -Bernstein arr. by Michael Klesch.

Mike.....speaking for Xtreme, we loved your performance. It was a good experience for our younger members to see Star for the first time. Always been a fan of 'Harkstow Grange' ever since 'Red' Winzer arranged it as a warm up for Archie in the mid 90's.

I too have the hope that other groups may look to the alternative to 'concert' minicorps. A thread many months back was interested in a 'bridge' between th existing minicorps style and 'A' class (A35). Maybe a movement w/battery and pit style would work. Maybe increase numbers to say 30 and put it on the field? Who knows? It would be great to see Star out there doing it also.

......thanks to you folks who came into the venue to watch our performance.

Jim

Thanks for the review of the show Cathie. Reading some of the comments you would think there was a beer show with some Minicorps providing some entertainment here and there. :doh:

I am glad you enjoyed Star United's performance. The DCA audience is a bit intimidating for us, since we do not have the background or experience in doing the in-your-face style of entertainment that is the staple of the Minicorps event. We have to rely on our musicality and ensemble approach to compete and hope that a high level of difficulty and execution will reach the audience. I hope that in this ever growing event there is room for many types of music and approaches. It would be awesome to see some groups break out of the 'Jazz w/drumkit' type of show. The more variety the better.

Minicorps is a great concept and we have a blast working up the music and performing it. Maybe in the future we might take the step of putting our butts on the grass. We would need a few more dedicated people and for some of our babies/children to grow-up a bit before we would have the time to put even a simple field show together. Can our approach and style work in a class A type setting? Maybe that is our next challenge. Time will tell.

Skylines -an original composition by former Star member and well known arranger Frank Sullivan.

Horkstow Grange -the second movement of Percy Grainger's Lincolnshire Posey. Arranged by Jim Prime & Star United member Ed M.Cooning IV.

People have asked for the reviews of all the mini corps and since no one has done so, I’ll give it a shot. Don’t hang me for this, though, because I’m really a guard girl fakin’ playing in the pit, just joined the DCA family this year, know little to zero of the corps’ histories and tend to lean towards the “exciting” corps and, oh yeah, have little memory in the actual songs played. To clarify, I know NOTHING about playing horns except that it’s hard and that I hope one day to play the baritone… plus, I’m doing this by memory a week later.

Amoskeag Sound – LOVED this show. I was crying by the solo in “Argentina” because it was that good, plus I’m a theater geek. I’ve heard other people comment that there really wasn’t cohesion in their song choices, and I don’t care! I loved them. So tiny, so passionate, so loud! Thank you so much for continuing even though you knew you would get a penalty. I, for one, am very grateful.

1. Star United – Couldn’t be denied. Not the absolute most entertaining, but still very fun overall and amazingly executed.

2. Golden Eagles – The conductor just kills me. Too much fun!

3. Amoskeag Sound

4. Skyliners

5. Dream

6. Renegades

7. Outlaws

8. Capital Brass!

I’ve already informed the Dream staff that I will be defecting to Golden Eagles, Amoskeag or Skyliners next season. I don’t care if I don’t play a horn, I’ll be content to just be the water girl. I loved those shows! Outlaws get an Honorable Mention as well.

Cathie,

1st of Thanks so much for providing the only review so far on the mini-corps contest. I hope some others will post as well.

Our corps is very flattered by your kinds words, having someone put us in the same company as Star United & Golden Eagles is viewed as quite a complement by our corps. From our perpective at least as far as you're concerned 'mission accomplished' B)

Our lack of cohesion in musical choices was intentional, we wanted to provide a variety of musical styles for people to enjoy, our repetoire seemed more like it came out of the 1970's instead of the 2000's didn't it. We're working on it and when you see us next year you should see us working towards a more cohesive choice of music.

We'd love to have you should you ever defect and come east.

Thanks again to all the mini-corps who participated Friday night, and thanks again for the kind words. :doh:

Dave

Edited by ManchesterMuchacho

Mike,

I just wanted to add my appreciation for the excellence of Star's performance. The strong performances yet style contrast between you and Renegades really was quite entertaining. I thought it illustrated the versatility of minicorps quite nicely.

"Horkstow Grange" brought a smile of recognition to me since we played "Lincolshire Posey" in my community band. Percy Grainger's compositions are interesting and challenging to perform.

Congratulations on a well-deserved championship.

Thanks for the review of the show Cathie. Reading some of the comments you would think there was a beer show with some Minicorps providing some entertainment here and there. :grrr:

It was all good. No commotion, no problem.

I am glad you enjoyed Star United's performance. The DCA audience is a bit intimidating for us, since we do not have the background or experience in doing the in-your-face style of entertainment that is the staple of the Minicorps event.

THAT was intimidated? Yikes, I'd hate to see you guys NOT intimidated. Holy cow!!! :worthy: Oh and your "in-your-face" part was just fine.

We have to rely on our musicality and ensemble approach to compete and hope that a high level of difficulty and execution will reach the audience. I hope that in this ever growing event there is room for many types of music and approaches. It would be awesome to see some groups break out of the 'Jazz w/drumkit' type of show. The more variety the better.

I think you may have misinterpreted my "successful" comment. Your choices of additional instruments and percussion were only slightly brilliant. :P I'm all for different styles and whatnot, but I was trying to point out was those corps that had about three or more percussionists/accessory players tended to drown out the horns in that performance environment. I mean it is just a conference room. I was in no way making a reference to song style or choice, just flat out acoustics.

Totally understand the real life commitments. And I'm no expert, but I think you'll be fine on the field if/when that time comes.

________________________________________________________________________________

Our corps is very flattered by your kinds words, having someone put us in the same company as Star United & Golden Eagles is viewed as quite a complement by our corps. From our perpective at least as far as you're concerned 'mission accomplished' B)

Our lack of cohesion in musical choices was intentional, we wanted to provide a variety of musical styles for people to enjoy, our repetoire seemed more like it came out of the 1970's instead of the 2000's didn't it. We're working on it and when you see us next year you should see us working towards a more cohesive choice of music.

Like I said before I didn't mind the song choices at all. I could honestly care less. I'm not very picky. It was just a comment I heard. By the way, I don't suppose you have a YouTube video up yet? I'm wearing out Star, Golden Eagles and Mass Brass. My fishies have made some desperate requests for something else. Too many repeats. :)

edit: For typos, as always. :)

Edited by Cathie Wiener

• 4 weeks later...

I would just like to thank Star United and Golden Eagles for my new addiction. I listen to your YouTube mini corps videos over and over and over again. I swear they're laced with drugs or something. :) I know in my original review I said that Star United was really, really good but maybe not the absolute most entertaining of the bunch. I still think Golden Eagles were the most entertaining and it's still my favorite show, but now I'm absolutely in love with Star United's show. You sneaky guys and gals!!!

So I guess this is just a repeat kudos for you all! :worthy:

By the way, is there a Mini Corps Anonymous? I may need their assistance before next Labor Day plus my parents (just watching) and brother (hopefully performing) will be there next year for their first ever DCA experience, so I'm sure they will require the same services after they see the Mini Corps.

That is all.

Carry on.

I would just like to thank Star United and Golden Eagles for my new addiction. I listen to your YouTube mini corps videos over and over and over again. I swear they're laced with drugs or something. :) I know in my original review I said that Star United was really, really good but maybe not the absolute most entertaining of the bunch. I still think Golden Eagles were the most entertaining and it's still my favorite show, but now I'm absolutely in love with Star United's show. You sneaky guys and gals!!!

So I guess this is just a repeat kudos for you all! :worthy:

By the way, is there a Mini Corps Anonymous? I may need their assistance before next Labor Day plus my parents (just watching) and brother (hopefully performing) will be there next year for their first ever DCA experience, so I'm sure they will require the same services after they see the Mini Corps.

That is all.

Carry on.

Cathy,

The bar has obviously been raised for mini-corps. I think that your family can be assurred of an oustanding (and addictive) show next year, as the rest of us just try to keep up with the incredible pace set by the leaders.

MCA rocks!

So I guess this is just a repeat kudos for you all! :angry:

That is all.

Carry on.

Cathie,

Since you're a wonderful fan of ours, here's a little something from Amoskeag Sound to tie you over.

:angry:

http://www.amoskeagsound.org/havanagila.wmv

Enjoy!!! B)

Dave

P.S. As you might be able to tell we're working on getting website up and going. It's going to be great when it's done. Thanks to our webmaster. :angry: