Mini Corps Reports?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it safe to assume Amoskeag got the penalty for being overtime?,..............if so, they could have been up one placement without it......

Actually our penalty was for being 'understaffed' (10 players, min 11), one of our baritones had an emergency appendectomy several weeks ago and wasn't cleared to play. We decided ahead of time to go with what we had instead of sticking someone in just to play a few notes to avoid the 1pt penalty.

BTW thanks to Dick for double checking the rules per our request, originally we were slated for getting DQ'd :doh: but after asking Dick to check the rules again, he did, and figured out we were correct in expecting a 1pt penalty and not a DQ.

So we're putting the 'mini' in mini-corps. The scores are great and everything but our 1st priority is to get butts out of seats (standing O's :laugh: ) if we can, and be as entertaining as possible. If that means our horn players have to sing & dance too... :blink: b**bs ... well we'll do what we have to.

We had a great time Friday night, the crowd seemed to apprieciative of our efforts. ALL the other competitors were great and we'd like to thank them for their efforts too.

As long as there's a crowd to entertain we'll be there & hopefully with a few more people on stage next time.

See y'all in the spring.

Dave

I was not talking about your corps specifically, just kinda of saying what DCA is thinking, after 10 years of minis you get the hang of what works and what doesn't. See Melligine quote, that pretty well sums it up in a nutshell

...and I'm saying we need to wake up the thinking. What we know now as "mini corps" serves its purpose as an entertaining social event for the good ol' boys to hoot and holler on a Friday night, and I'm right there with you as long as the beer is cold, but lets not shut out the idea of doing something to help start more drum corps. Fran has already made the statement that 18 minis is about all the venue can handle and there is some good logic there to back it up, but do we start turning away new mini corps? As I read post after post on here about the decline in the number of corps and can myself remember back to when I was a kid and there was 100+ drum corps in PA and Jersey alone, you gotta say to yourself, what can we do to bring the small corps back. remember, it was the small corps that energized the big corps.

I don't expect the "old timers" b**bs to want to do drill, quite frankly I don't even want that to enter my visual rolodex (it may come back to me at a bad time) and I'm not suggesting that they should. I don't see how keeping a MCFTMT venue (mini-corps for the motionally challenged) on Friday night is going to change the status quo for those who enjoy doing so every year even if there is another venue for the marching mini corps.

Actually our penalty was for being 'understaffed' (10 players, min 11), one of our baritones had an emergency appendectomy several weeks ago and wasn't cleared to play. We decided ahead of time to go with what we had instead of sticking someone in just to play a few notes to avoid the 1pt penalty.

BTW thanks to Dick for double checking the rules per our request, originally we were slated for getting DQ'd :doh: but after asking Dick to check the rules again, he did, and figured out we were correct in expecting a 1pt penalty and not a DQ.

So we're putting the 'mini' in mini-corps. The scores are great and everything but our 1st priority is to get butts out of seats (standing O's :laugh: ) if we can, and be as entertaining as possible. If that means our horn players have to sing & dance too... :blink: b**bs ... well we'll do what we have to.

We had a great time Friday night, the crowd seemed to apprieciative of our efforts. ALL the other competitors were great and we'd like to thank them for their efforts too.

As long as there's a crowd to entertain we'll be there & hopefully with a few more people on stage next time.

See y'all in the spring.

Dave

That's really too bad Dave. we had 2 last minute no-go's too, but with just 11 , one means a whole lot more!

Because of preperations with our corps, I missed Amoskeag Sound (and everybody before us). So , I look forward to the DVD!

Edited by brassomaniac

SSSSMART!

he could have easily had an accident and played a note... or somethin'.

He'll probably turn it into a practice pad.....or somethin'.

Your show was one of my favorites of the night and I saw all 18 minicorps. I was in tears right from the solo in Argentina. Absolutely amazing. So, yes, you were appreciated.

As far as all the competitors being great, you are right. I kept telling everyone that listened to me that watching all the mini corps was absolutely awesome and that watching those 18 corps in that single night was completely worth the cost of my entire tour fee right then and there. That, and the people at Dream better watch out because I'm defecting to Amoskeag (sp?), Golden Eagles or Skyliners. I don't care if I don't play a horn. I'll learn or I'll just be the water/cooler girl. I'm okay with that. :P

Thanks for a great night!!

Cathie

:)