Mini Corps Reports?

IMHO Xtreme did play "well" while moving "well" not to mention with a difficult music "book" to boot (it is not hard to play an easy book well, for me that is just selling out) ...did our percussion enhance our production? ... #### skippy it did ...those guys along with the talented ladies on keys were not slouches.

Did we get the credit for it? From a good bunch of the "names" and "no-names" out there in the audience we did... they see what we have done and where we want to go with it, and right now thats good enough. But what we are trying to do is suggest the judging criteria take into account that there are other elements that need to be addressed. We are trying to do something to help drum corps grow, not take away from what is already there.

Kevin,

it seems like what you're proposing is more than an expansion of the criteria; but a much bigger question about the direction the mini-corps activity should go in. I'm not making a judgement on which way that should be.. but what you're describing is a much more elaborate endeavor (and I commend you for taking that very thing on this year and pulling it off so well) than what some of the corps are doing.

When you consider that some of the groups are basically side projects of larger corps' or, like CB!, designed to be way more of a laid back program than that, it would likely divide or reduce the participants.

I'm certain (or pretty certain) that it would be a direction that we couldn't go in.

It IS an interesting idea tho - how many corps out there would throw themselves into a true "mini field corps" project, I wonder?

Edited by brassomaniac

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin,

it seems like wehat you're proposing is more than an expansion of the criteria; but a much bigger question about the direction the mini-corps activity should go in. I'm not making a judgement on which way that should be.. but what you're describing is a much more elaborate endeavor (and I commend you for taking that very thing on this year and pulling it opff so well) than what some of the corps are doing.

When you consider that some of the groups are basically side projects of larger corps' or, like CB!, designed to be way more of a laid back program than that, it would likely divide or reduce the participants.

I'm certain (or pretty certain) that it would be a direction that we couldn't go in.

It IS an interesting idea tho - how many corps out there would throw themselves into a true "mini field corps" project, I wonder?

not here,....................most of our guys are lucky they can walk,...................for various reasons..... :sshh:

for various reasons???????

There's got to be a funny story behind THAT! b**bs

I can give you one story......I'll be 64 Monday B) NOW....if can bring the BPM down to that number....I'M IN b**bs I'll even spring for my own Geritol.....

Edited by melligene

why not run them before prelims?,.....................back up the 2:00 PM start time as required,..................with a built in end time of 1:30 for a break, and to reset the competition field........................

Afrer I thought about it a bit more, I realized that the main problem with this.... and with my suggestion for running mini-corps on Sunday morning....

is the fact that several of those mini-corps are also part of competition corps, and a number of members of the other mini-corps also march in competition corps.

Prelims and Finals are the main focus of those competitive corps, as they should be.

I really doubt they would let their members go and take part in another show on the same day before either Prelims or Finals. Those members would have to miss rehearsals, would be playing a lot more than they might otherwise, etc.

For that reason, the idea is probably a non-starter.

Fran

OMG, that's OLD! You should just quit (IMHO).

Aren't you afraid of hurting yourself on a tumbling contrabass?

b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs (we actually rehearsed that AND...I payed attention)

IMHO Xtreme did play "well" while moving "well" not to mention with a difficult music "book" to boot (it is not hard to play an easy book well, for me that is just selling out) ...did our percussion enhance our production? ... #### skippy it did ...those guys along with the talented ladies on keys were not slouches.

Did we get the credit for it? From a good bunch of the "names" and "no-names" out there in the audience we did... they see what we have done and where we want to go with it, and right now thats good enough. But what we are trying to do is suggest the judging criteria take into account that there are other elements that need to be addressed. We are trying to do something to help drum corps grow, not take away from what is already there.

I was not talking about your corps specifically, just kinda of saying what DCA is thinking, after 10 years of minis you get the hang of what works and what doesn't. See Melligine quote, that pretty well sums it up in a nutshell

Uh oh.........not a Nick thing is it?

not here,....................most of our guys are lucky they can walk,...................for various reasons..... :sshh: