DCA Rochester Prelims

Ladies and Gentlemen...welcome to Rochester, New York. If you've never been to Paetec Park, look it up on the web. Real solid venue for drum corps. Lucky to have the Rochester people welcoming the corps. Nothing but positives for the Greater Rochester Visitors Association. The local papers and local TV have really hyped the event. Just great...

TONIGHT'S PRELIMINARY CONTEST...huge crowd, nice weather. Sun was up for most of the corps. Top 5 got to play under the lights. 75 degrees in the sun gave way to a crisp night...jackets only. The corps provided the rest of the heat.

Given my schedule today, which included taking in rehearsals in Batavia, Rochester and Medina so I could be prepared for tonight, I arrived at the stadium in time to see Sun from the back, Govenaires from the side and found my seat in time to see the battle for top 10.

Off we go!

11th Music City Legend. One of the night's best surprises. The corps looks great and has solid carriage and field coverage. Opening chart provided a welcoming groove with the ensemble offering a full sound. Soloists carry the freight without overplaying and the snares showed poise and solid training elements throughout. The guard feature was a nice punctuation to a well trained outfit.

Biggest Plus: The corps has plenty to be proud of in design (machine gun segment was awesome) but moreso in effort and enthusiasm. There was a finals spot at stake and they went out to grab it.

Biggest Question: Will the members show up again next year to build on this solid momentum?

Overall: The crowd gave them the best comment of all: a standing ovation on a job well done.

Kilties. The look and the program go beyond suggesting an identity. The elements of style and tradition make the Kilts a crowd favorite. When September rolls around, however, the substance has to match the style in order to get a score. If the Kilties are to re-enter the DCA elite, they will have to take a more firm approach to preparation. The opening segment ensemble tear was troubling, but certainly could have been attributed to Championship nerves. But, as the show went forward, it appeared the corps was in over its head. If it's a park and blow, the Kilts can hang with anyone. The swing section was solid. But, on the move, the training required for effective performance is lacking in all sections. Combine that with an elementary visual program and you have a corps that can only finish back in the pack.

Biggest Plus: Auld Lang Syne. Give the crowd what they want and they will respond in kind.

Biggest Question: Will the members accept the challenge of a DCA level program? They have the look and tradition. Now they need the vehicle and commitment.

Overall: Wanted more.

10th Crusaders. The corps are stunning in their field presence...new uni...new helmet...new plume. When Tom Peashey said "...you may take the field..." the Crusaders took him seriously. New for me were the murals and opening poses that set the scene. Opening crescendo and visual build-out from behind the murals was absolutely superior. HUGE guard....and WOW! Horn pop, big splash of color, BIG SOUND...BIG RESPONSE. The program is certainly Finals caliber and the visual package is one of the best. Depth of sound in horn line at times uneven and music effect at time suffers. Control in the ballad is exactly what we want and there are continuous elements of tension and delivery (drum solo, too...thank you Mr. Carver and Wilkerson).

Biggest Plus: The program absolutely shines. Guard is sensational. Hands down DCA Finalist caliber.

Biggest Question: Smoke? Come on. now.

Overall: Hometown corps beats back the others to grab the last Finalist spot. Way to go.

9th Atlanta. Georgia On My Mind doesn't even give me a chance! Can't ask for more than to get my money's worth in the first 64 counts. Clean look and awesome opening chart. Front ensemble noticeable in quality and contribution. The horn sound (blend and control) really held up as the show progressed, even through difficult phrases. Color guard was one of the night's biggest surprises with solid silk unisons and implement control. Couldn't find the drumline with a flashlight. The battery deserves to be a more integral part of the visual package and staging needs to improve for the sound to reach the box.

Biggest Plus: The continued momentum from last year means the organization is strong. They just keep getting better.

Biggest Question: Can we turn up the closer by 4 beats a minute? A little more velocity in music and visual would help to deliver the maximum effect.

Overall: They got me breathing hard a couple of times. Now I want the WOW.

8th Renegades. Swagger to spare. Walking corpses and coffins. And, oh my Lord, that hornline. Opener was HUGE with strong velocity and solid visual transitions. Lush voicing in the mini-ensemble with a nice contribution to depth of sound by contras was noticed, but the drum sound, even with the fat roll sequences, had trouble reaching the box. Not a lot of clean beats when it did. The blend of ensemble sound produced solid effect. I wanted a bit more in terms of exposure, but I think I need to give this show one more chance. Horn ending was an absolute clinic in attack, release, phrasing and VOLUME!

Biggest Plus: Horns were insane.

Biggest Question: Will it sell better at night? Can't wait to see it on Sunday!

Overall: From the freakin' ridiculous mini-corps (AWESOME...get me the CD, please), to the unique flavor they bring to the table, they deserve the standing-o they got tonight.

7th Hurricanes. Tom Peashey welcomed the corps and proclaimed that this was the only hurricane he wanted to see this weekend. Memories of last year die hard. The corps didn't take long, however, to turn up the heat. "On the Waterfront" began subtly enough with the toms and tympani introducing the 7/8 timing. The shocker was the intensity that followed. The marching technique and execution in the opening block combined with the splash of yellow silk from the well trained guard served notice that this program was one to be reckoned with. The ensemble demand is incredible when the staging of voices is 40 yards apart, but it held up beautifully time and time again. "Dance in the Gym" was just plain solid in all segments. The pit had several opportunities for exposed contribution and the drummers can march (really!). Candide? Guard at the end was simply spectacular.

Biggest Plus: Visual package pays extreme attention to ensemble blend and it shows. Drums gave 'em the nod over Cali & Atlanta.

Biggest Question: The closing chart left me wanting more after the accelerando. The show deserved better than the "formula" finish.

Overall: I had 'em over Minnesota, too.

6th Minnesota. Now hear this: Dynasty drums reach the box! Thank you, Brass Inc for turning up the sound in the battery. Off the line, the corps demonstrates sharp design and clean, exposed marching technique. There is high velocity with changes of pace and feel noted throughout the opener. Clean, clean, clean with superior dance technique from the guard (guys & girls). Drum line has NO FEAR. The sound gets up here and we can decide pretty quickly if the beats are clean. They were. Toms, especially. Hey, look! The guard can spin, too.

Biggest Plus: Ridiculously LOUD.

Biggest Question: Hey hornline...can a brother get some consistency? The control issues that bit the symphonic piece morphed into near-masterful technique into the drum break. So are you good or lucky? And the ensemble tear in the closer was nothing more than a loss of focus. Don't let it happen on Sunday. You are better than that.

Overall: Liked the show. Hated the coat hangers.

5th Syracuse. As a past champion with a rich history and strong esprit de corps, the Brigadiers know drum corps. And if shows were judged on opening fanfare, the Brigs would deserve the highest consideration. But if the corps is given a vehicle that is simply beyond its ability to perform, or the audiences ability to receive, the result is a disappointment. The bottom line with "Spanish Fantasy" and "My Spanish Heart" is that it is the most difficult score on the field this year. But the ensemble tears in the opener alienated the audience and the inability of the low brass to carry the charts from a performance standpoint killed the momentum and, by extension, the musical effect. Percussion was dramatically different. It appeared, their staging was much more integrated into the ensemble than it had been earlier in the season giving them a chance to make a better contribution. Snares have fewer "heroes" which is a testament to their ongoing training. The guard, however, needs to get the same message.

Biggest Plus: The ballad is easily the highlight of the show and might be the highlight of the season in DCA.

Biggest Question: The programming is just so odd. From Spanish to Marilyn Monroe and back again. How does it all fit?

Overall: Sorry guys, the performance just wasn't there. I had 'em below Hurricanes.

4th Bushwackers. Hmmmm. Biggest disappointment of the night. I am not sure I have ever watched a show that was performed at this level of precision & polish leave me so flat and disconnected. Was the hornline "on" tonight? It wasn't 2006, but it was certainly strong in ensemble and blend. Was the drumline "on"? Sure. The snares need to get a better handle on the exposed 16th note phrasing in the opener, but percussion worked in the ensemble. How about the guard? I had them tops in tonight's show. They are championship calibre to the point of exquisite in their execution. So what's the problem? When the staff cheers the loudest, I know the show wasn't written for me. The elements were all there, but it seemed like they were being performed for performance's sake and the disconnect killed the emotional effect. Bernstein...then the blues...it was hard to find the invitation "inside" the show. Last year, I screamed for Harrison. This year...

Biggest Plus: Feet.

Biggest Question: Did I just miss it? I want to see it again, Sunday.

Overall: Guard just might take home some hardware if they can find the emotion to go with the technique. I want to believe!

CLASH OF THE TITANS

Caballeros. I will take a little less control for a little more volume. Thank you, Caballeros. Visual design and transitions are VERY appreciated. Superior and aggressive design and approach. A pinch loose at times, but always intense and with that extra bit of panache that only comes from Hawthorne. If I had a shred of doubt about the hornline, the transition from the drum solo to the mellophone feature and symponic section won me over. EFFECT ALL OVER THE PLACE. A tease of volume and then pure repose...simply awesome. Guard is the most prolific, colorful and, from a vis ensemble standpoint, integrated of the night. Closer brings velocity, volume, tradition, Carmen...everything you asked for, delivered and then some.

Biggest plus: I gave 'em high drums. Snare, bass, tenor, front ensemble...look carefully. They executed better tonight than Empire or Bucs.

Biggest Question: Can the visual performance find another level to close that gap?

Overall: There's a chance.

Empire. Bring on the heavy artillery! "Maria" fanfare was simply ridiculous. The blend in the brass and the ensemble support front to back...outstanding. "Pagliacci" was an absolute WALL OF SOUND. "Birdland"...unreal...volume, VOLUME, VOLUME! Drums get way up to the box. Most unique style of the night...nose level...big & fat...no boundaries. Musical program is so solid. The "Taps" segment is hauntingly effective. Trouble with scoring has to be visual. Field coverage is very limited by comparison. Not necessarily front to back, but the lack of breadth is noticeable. The ensemble is Empire's priority, but the vis effect number is sacrificed for sound.

Biggest Plus: Performance, performance, performance.

Biggest Question: Guard gets lost in the visual congestion.

Overall: Judges got it right on the sheets. So what. Sit back and have fun. It's really good drum corps.

Bucs. Raphsody in Blue. In a word: spectacular. The blend in the hornline is just awesome. Control in volume, phrasing...wow. Coverage from goal line to goal line right from opening set. Visual demand is top in the group. Visual performance is the catalyst. Sincere appreciation for the isolated guard segments as well as their body control. THE BEST PROGRAM DESIGN ON THE FIELD. Unparalleled dynamic integrity and delivery of musical effect.

Biggest Plus: The Bucs are the most unselfish performers on the field. Their collective gift to the audience is magnified by their individual submission to the project.

Biggest Question: Do the snares want the drum trophy? If they do, they gotta play all the notes (especially some of the decrescendo diddles). Picky? Whatever. They don't just give the hardware away. You gotta go get it.

Overall: When you see 'em on Sunday, make sure to appreciate the closer. It is so gripping and, at the end, very satisfying.

"The Sheet"

GE Vis BUCS

GE Mus BUCS

Horns BUCS (ex and effect)

Drums (ex) CABS

Drums (effect) BUCS

Guard (ex) BUSH

Guard (effect) BUCS

Good Night from Rochester...see you tomorrow. If you know me, MAKE SURE YOU SAY HI!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by wishbonecav

Ladies and Gentlemen...welcome to Rochester, New York. If you've never been to Paetec Park, look it up on the web. Real solid venue for drum corps. Lucky to have the Rochester people welcoming the corps. Nothing but positives for the Greater Rochester Visitors Association. The local papers and local TV have really hyped the event. Just great...

TONIGHT'S PRELIMINARY CONTEST...huge crowd, nice weather. Sun was up for most of the corps. Top 5 got to play under the lights. 75 degrees in the sun gave way to a crisp night...jackets only. The corps provided the rest of the heat.

Given my schedule today, which included taking in rehearsals in Batavia, Rochester and Medina so I could be prepared for tonight, I arrived at the stadium in time to see Sun from the back, Govenaires from the side and found my seat in time to see the battle for top 10.

Off we go!

11th Music City Legend. One of the night's best surprises. The corps looks great and has solid carriage and field coverage. Opening chart provided a welcoming groove with the ensemble offering a full sound. Soloists carry the freight without overplaying and the snares showed poise and solid training elements throughout. The guard feature was a nice punctuation to a well trained outfit.

Biggest Plus: The corps has plenty to be proud of in design (machine gun segment was awesome) but moreso in effort and enthusiasm. There was a finals spot at stake and they went out to grab it.

Biggest Question: Will the members show up again next year to build on this solid momentum?

Overall: The crowd gave them the best comment of all: a standing ovation on a job well done.

Kilties. The look and the program go beyond suggesting an identity. The elements of style and tradition make the Kilts a crowd favorite. When September rolls around, however, the substance has to match the style in order to get a score. If the Kilties are to re-enter the DCA elite, they will have to take a more firm approach to preparation. The opening segment ensemble tear was troubling, but certainly could have been attributed to Championship nerves. But, as the show went forward, it appeared the corps was in over its head. If it's a park and blow, the Kilts can hang with anyone. The swing section was solid. But, on the move, the training required for effective performance is lacking in all sections. Combine that with an elementary visual program and you have a corps that can only finish back in the pack.

Biggest Plus: Auld Lang Syne. Give the crowd what they want and they will respond in kind.

Biggest Question: Will the members accept the challenge of a DCA level program? They have the look and tradition. Now they need the vehicle and commitment.

Overall: Wanted more.

10th Crusaders. The corps are stunning in their field presence...new uni...new helmet...new plume. When Tom Peashey said "...you may take the field..." the Crusaders took him seriously. New for me were the murals and opening poses that set the scene. Opening crescendo and visual build-out from behind the murals was absolutely superior. HUGE guard....and WOW! Horn pop, big splash of color, BIG SOUND...BIG RESPONSE. The program is certainly Finals caliber and the visual package is one of the best. Depth of sound in horn line at times uneven and music effect at time suffers. Control in the ballad is exactly what we want and there are continuous elements of tension and delivery (drum solo, too...thank you Mr. Carver and Wilkerson).

Biggest Plus: The program absolutely shines. Guard is sensational. Hands down DCA Finalist caliber.

Biggest Question: Smoke? Come on. now.

Overall: Hometown corps beats back the others to grab the last Finalist spot. Way to go.

9th Atlanta. Georgia On My Mind doesn't even give me a chance! Can't ask for more than to get my money's worth in the first 64 counts. Clean look and awesome opening chart. Front ensemble noticeable in quality and contribution. The horn sound (blend and control) really held up as the show progressed, even through difficult phrases. Color guard was one of the night's biggest surprises with solid silk unisons and implement control. Couldn't find the drumline with a flashlight. The battery deserves to be a more integral part of the visual package and staging needs to improve for the sound to reach the box.

Biggest Plus: The continued momentum from last year means the organization is strong. They just keep getting better.

Biggest Question: Can we turn up the closer by 4 beats a minute? A little more velocity in music and visual would help to deliver the maximum effect.

Overall: They got me breathing hard a couple of times. Now I want the WOW.

8th Renegades. Swagger to spare. Walking corpses and coffins. And, oh my Lord, that hornline. Opener was HUGE with strong velocity and solid visual transitions. Lush voicing in the mini-ensemble with a nice contribution to depth of sound by contras was noticed, but the drum sound, even with the fat roll sequences, had trouble reaching the box. Not a lot of clean beats when it did. The blend of ensemble sound produced solid effect. I wanted a bit more in terms of exposure, but I think I need to give this show one more chance. Horn ending was an absolute clinic in attack, release, phrasing and VOLUME!

Biggest Plus: Horns were insane.

Biggest Question: Will it sell better at night? Can't wait to see it on Sunday!

Overall: From the freakin' ridiculous mini-corps (AWESOME...get me the CD, please), to the unique flavor they bring to the table, they deserve the standing-o they got tonight.

7th Hurricanes. Tom Peashey welcomed the corps and proclaimed that this was the only hurricane he wanted to see this weekend. Memories of last year die hard. The corps didn't take long, however, to turn up the heat. "On the Waterfront" began subtly enough with the toms and tympani introducing the 7/8 timing. The shocker was the intensity that followed. The marching technique and execution in the opening block combined with the splash of yellow silk from the well trained guard served notice that this program was one to be reckoned with. The ensemble demand is incredible when the staging of voices is 40 yards apart, but it held up beautifully time and time again. "Dance in the Gym" was just plain solid in all segments. The pit had several opportunities for exposed contribution and the drummers can march (really!). Candide? Guard at the end was simply spectacular.

Biggest Plus: Visual package pays extreme attention to ensemble blend and it shows. Drums gave 'em the nod over Cali & Atlanta.

Biggest Question: The closing chart left me wanting more after the accelerando. The show deserved better than the "formula" finish.

Overall: I had 'em over Minnesota, too.

6th Minnesota. Now hear this: Dynasty drums reach the box! Thank you, Brass Inc for turning up the sound in the battery. Off the line, the corps demonstrates sharp design and clean, exposed marching technique. There is high velocity with changes of pace and feel noted throughout the opener. Clean, clean, clean with superior dance technique from the guard (guys & girls). Drum line has NO FEAR. The sound gets up here and we can decide pretty quickly if the beats are clean. They were. Toms, especially. Hey, look! The guard can spin, too.

Biggest Plus: Ridiculously LOUD.

Biggest Question: Hey hornline...can a brother get some consistency? The control issues that bit the symphonic piece morphed into near-masterful technique into the drum break. So are you good or lucky? And the ensemble tear in the closer was nothing more than a loss of focus. Don't let it happen on Sunday. You are better than that.

Overall: Liked the show. Hated the coat hangers.

5th Syracuse. As a past champion with a rich history and strong esprit de corps, the Brigadiers know drum corps. And if shows were judged on opening fanfare, the Brigs would deserve the highest consideration. But if the corps is given a vehicle that is simply beyond its ability to perform, or the audiences ability to receive, the result is a disappointment. The bottom line with "Spanish Fantasy" and "My Spanish Heart" is that it is the most difficult score on the field this year. But the ensemble tears in the opener alienated the audience and the inability of the low brass to carry the charts from a performance standpoint killed the momentum and, by extension, the musical effect. Percussion was dramatically different. It appeared, their staging was much more integrated into the ensemble than it had been earlier in the season giving them a chance to make a better contribution. Snares have fewer "heroes" which is a testament to their ongoing training. The guard, however, needs to get the same message.

Biggest Plus: The ballad is easily the highlight of the show and might be the highlight of the season in DCA.

Biggest Question: The programming is just so odd. From Spanish to Marilyn Monroe and back again. How does it all fit?

Overall: Sorry guys, the performance just wasn't there. I had 'em below Hurricanes.

4th Bushwackers. Hmmmm. Biggest disappointment of the night. I am not sure I have ever watched a show that was performed at this level of precision & polish leave me so flat and disconnected. Was the hornline "on" tonight? It wasn't 2006, but it was certainly strong in ensemble and blend. Was the drumline "on"? Sure. The snares need to get a better handle on the exposed 16th note phrasing in the opener, but percussion worked in the ensemble. How about the guard? I had them tops in tonight's show. They are championship calibre to the point of exquisite in their execution. So what's the problem? When the staff cheers the loudest, I know the show wasn't written for me. The elements were all there, but it seemed like they were being performed for performance's sake and the disconnect killed the emotional effect. Bernstein...then the blues...it was hard to find the invitation "inside" the show. Last year, I screamed for Harrison. This year...

Biggest Plus: Feet.

Biggest Question: Did I just miss it? I want to see it again, Sunday.

Overall: Guard just might take home some hardware if they can find the emotion to go with the technique. I want to believe!

CLASH OF THE TITANS

Caballeros. I will take a little less control for a little more volume. Thank you, Caballeros. Visual design and transitions are VERY appreciated. Superior and aggressive design and approach. A pinch loose at times, but always intense and with that extra bit of panache that only comes from Hawthorne. If I had a shred of doubt about the hornline, the transition from the drum solo to the mellophone feature and symponic section won me over. EFFECT ALL OVER THE PLACE. A tease of volume and then pure repose...simply awesome. Guard is the most prolific, colorful and, from a vis ensemble standpoint, integrated of the night. Closer brings velocity, volume, tradition, Carmen...everything you asked for, delivered and then some.

Biggest plus: I gave 'em high drums. Snare, bass, tenor, front ensemble...look carefully. They executed better tonight than Empire or Bucs.

Biggest Question: Can the visual performance find another level to close that gap?

Overall: There's a chance.

Empire. Bring on the heavy artillery! "Maria" fanfare was simply ridiculous. The blend in the brass and the ensemble support front to back...outstanding. "Pagliacci" was an absolute WALL OF SOUND. "Birdland"...unreal...volume, VOLUME, VOLUME! Drums get way up to the box. Most unique style of the night...nose level...big & fat...no boundaries. Musical program is so solid. The "Taps" segment is hauntingly effective. Trouble with scoring has to be visual. Field coverage is very limited by comparison. Not necessarily front to back, but the lack of breadth is noticeable. The ensemble is Empire's priority, but the vis effect number is sacrificed for sound.

Biggest Plus: Performance, performance, performance.

Biggest Question: Guard gets lost in the visual congestion.

Overall: Judges got it right on the sheets. So what. Sit back and have fun. It's really good drum corps.

Bucs. Raphsody in Blue. In a word: spectacular. The blend in the hornline is just awesome. Control in volume, phrasing...wow. Coverage from goal line to goal line right from opening set. Visual demand is top in the group. Visual performance is the catalyst. Sincere appreciation for the isolated guard segments as well as their body control. THE BEST PROGRAM DESIGN ON THE FIELD. Unparalleled dynamic integrity and delivery of musical effect.

Biggest Plus: The Bucs are the most unselfish performers on the field. Their collective gift to the audience is magnified by their individual submission to the project.

Biggest Question: Do the snares want the drum trophy? If they do, they gotta play all the notes (especially some of the decrescendo diddles). Picky? Whatever. They don't just give the hardware away. You gotta go get it.

Overall: When you see 'em on Sunday, make sure to appreciate the closer. It is so gripping and, at the end, very satisfying.

"The Sheet"

GE Vis BUCS

GE Mus BUCS

Horns BUCS (ex and effect)

Drums (ex) CABS

Drums (effect) BUCS

Guard (ex) BUSH

Guard (effect) BUCS

Good Night from Rochester...see you tomorrow. If you know me, MAKE SURE YOU SAY HI!!!!!!!!!!!

Cabs won guard with a 19.6

Great review for those of us that can't be there. Honest personal assessments appreciated.

When I saw Brigadiers show earlier in the year, I was scratching my puzzled head thinking, "What was that?". Glad I wasn't the only one. They're not bad,mind you, but there is a connection in the show that the audience isn't getting. Kind of weighs the show down because you're trying to figure it out while they're performing.

Saw Cabs twice, earlier and I really like the show and the music. I just wished the hornline was a little cleaner. I know they are playing a hard book, (harder than most, technically, when a lot of corps go for the loud whole tones), but it needs to be cleaner so as not to have execution be a distraction from the music.

I know I am biased, but I think Bucs are too strong, too polished. Some corps are better in certain areas but Bucs have managed to get all the pieces working together and I think that may be the difference in the end.

All the hard work and expectations!!!! There is an order to placement, but it is certainly a field of winners!

Not on my sheet. :)

you have to quote the whole message, make me scroll down, just to read that?

Love a bold unabashed review, liked the added touches, "plus", etc.

Thank you