My take from the front row at the Rose Bowl 2007

And if they really had problems with how things were being run, they'd leave.

It happened where I marched - at least one person felt that the staff we had at that time was taking the corps in the wrong direction. They left.

Edited by DrillmanSop06

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't mention how the DCI staff dropped the ball as far as selling tickets and getting people into the stadium...oops I guess I just mentioned it. Oh well, I may as well tell you all: I heard many say that it was the worst organizational mess they had ever seen and had they known they would not have made the trip....etc. Ask anyone who attended for more details about the looooooooooong lines which disintegrated into a chaotic mob. Because it was a drum corps event, the people were all civilized; had it been a rock concert, it would have made the national news.

Ummm... in a word... no. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but this was my 20th finals, and IMO it was not organized worse than others. People had issues with lines for concessions and to enter the seating area, but those were related to the design of the Rose Bowl (the long narrow tunnels) and to management of the staff hired and controlled by Rose Bowl management... not staff hired or managed by DCI. DCI hires and manages the judges, the announcer, etc. The stadium hires and manages security. There are issues like this at every championships. Most people had no problem getting tickets. There were many things that were better about the setup of this championships than most, including parking, corps souvenir areas, and including that you were allowed to bring in sealed bottles of water and reasonable amounts of food and security screening was efficient and reasonable. If not for those rarely permitted items, the lines you seem to be complaining about would have been much worse.

I'm sorry you only found three corps performances to enjoy at finals. If that were me, I wouldn't go back, not for that kind of money. I might suggest though that DivI DCI drum corps shows are not designed to be seen from the second row in a stadium as low slung as the Rose Bowl. It's not an ideal vantage point.

You heard a lot of other complaining? Big surprise. Drum corps fans seem to perenially be hypercritical and in a perennial bad mood.

I completely agree with your take on Regiment's show, especially the flugals. I don't think I've ever heard anything as nicely performed as that duet, even from professionals. What perfectly executed color, intonation and phrasing.

Your description is far better than I could have said. They played as a velvet fog....smoooth and sweet.

Sorry your seats were so bad. From the pressbox, all was well. I've never been to LA/PAsadena, I live in NJ and traveled there alone, all by myself and navigated pretty well, got to the stadium early and all three days had a great time, got to pee when I needed to, eat when I needed to, saw all the corps I wanted, when they were supposed to perform, and on finals night enjoyed all 12 competing corps.

Having the opportunity/priviledge to sit around some pretty big "names" in the activity on finals night, I didnt hear any major complaints, gripes or criticism regarding this years finals, but did indeed find an enthusiastic ceowd receiving a competent, competitive, entertaining slate of wonderful drum corps, one of the most aggressive and pleasing line-ups in my viewing since 1979.

~G~

Sorry your seats were so bad. From the pressbox, all was well. I've never been to LA/PAsadena, I live in NJ and traveled there alone, all by myself and navigated pretty well, got to the stadium early and all three days had a great time, got to pee when I needed to, eat when I needed to, saw all the corps I wanted, when they were supposed to perform, and on finals night enjoyed all 12 competing corps.

Having the opportunity/priviledge to sit around some pretty big "names" in the activity on finals night, I didnt hear any major complaints, gripes or criticism regarding this years finals, but did indeed find an enthusiastic ceowd receiving a competent, competitive, entertaining slate of wonderful drum corps, one of the most aggressive and pleasing line-ups in my viewing since 1979.

~G~

Your bias is obvious and thanks for the Blue Demon icon to warn us from where you are thinking; your spirit is admirable; but your perspective is a bit skewed. I am concerned for the future of the activity....I think we need to take another look at what we are doing...that's all...if we can't take a little constructive criticism then we should probably just hang it up....and then again it may be too much to attack the status quo but this is America we are allowed to do that here :)

Yup. Because he's a BD fan/alum/whatever, it makes his take on finals less valid than yours.

Your perspective is absolutely ridiculous. And doesn't really make sense. Oh - don't worry, I'm sure it does in your silly little head. :)

thanks for your review of finals, gpfstudios.

~G~

I agree wholeheartedly with ~G~'s assessment. I was in the pressbox Thursday night and in wonderful seats on the 50, low to mid for semifinals and finals. My Garmin GPS played a key role in insuring an uneventful time navigating the LA area, which contributed to a wonderful overall experience for my fiancee and I. The fact that it was my son's ageout after 8 memorable seasons with The Cadets just made the trip all the more special for us!

I'm looking forward to 2008 in Indy already! It should be an interesting season personally as I hope to be back on the road touring in a support role - hopefully with the same corps where my son ends up on staff!

Edited by ^Michael^