My take from the front row at the Rose Bowl 2007

Your bias is obvious and thanks for the Blue Demon icon to warn us from where you are thinking; your spirit is admirable; but your perspective is a bit skewed. I am concerned for the future of the activity....I think we need to take another look at what we are doing...that's all...if we can't take a little constructive criticism then we should probably just hang it up....and then again it may be too much to attack the status quo but this is America we are allowed to do that here :)

When it comes to some of the things you allude to G is on your side, actually.

As for constructive...I don't see where you were constructive...just another DCP'er trashing The Cadets because they created an enjoyable show YOU happened to not like.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to some of the things you allude to G is on your side, actually.

As for constructive...I don't see where you were constructive...just another DCP'er trashing The Cadets because they created an enjoyable show YOU happened to not like.

I never trashed the Cadets: each performer deserves admiration and respect. I continue to be head over heels in love with this activity. I have only taken issue with the design decisions which are controlled by corps managers/directors/etc. The managers, etc,., know exactly what I am talking about as would anyone who ever got involved with the design of a show or who picked out music: neither of which is an easy task. While in the "old days" a horn player might be able to get something changed in a small riff or a solo, I am guessing that today that is rare; but even that is a drop in the performance bucket when compared to the whole performance or show. Peace.

The Cadets. This show was a study in unfortunate contrasts. Whoever decided to have the young girl narrate the show while the corps was performing...well whoever it was ought to be taken behind the stadium and have stuffings beat out of them. I was frustrated that the "announcer" thought we the audience were so stupid that we had to be told what was happening on the field and how much hard work may have gone into the show....and I am not making this up, if you have not heard the show this year. The show minus the interfering announcements may have been top notch but I could not tell. It was like trying to eat a ham sandwich with a fly buzzing you: it takes the enjoyment out of it....until you get rid of the fly.

Of course you'd mention three corps that stood out; mention the good things in two of them and get to the Cadets and totally blast them. Thanks for your subjective post.

I never trashed the Cadets: each performer deserves admiration and respect. I continue to be head over heels in love with this activity. I have only taken issue with the design decisions which are controlled by corps managers/directors/etc. The managers, etc,., know exactly what I am talking about as would anyone who ever got involved with the design of a show or who picked out music: neither of which is an easy task. While in the "old days" a horn player might be able to get something changed in a small riff or a solo, I am guessing that today that is rare; but even that is a drop in the performance bucket when compared to the whole performance or show. Peace.

I suppose you think this is 'constructive'....

Whoever decided to have the young girl narrate the show while the corps was performing...well whoever it was ought to be taken behind the stadium and have stuffings beat out of them. I was frustrated that the "announcer" thought we the audience were so stupid that we had to be told what was happening on the field and how much hard work may have gone into the show....and I am not making this up, if you have not heard the show this year. The show minus the interfering announcements may have been top notch but I could not tell. It was like trying to eat a ham sandwich with a fly buzzing you: it takes the enjoyment out of it....until you get rid of the fly.

I'm sure the managements of the top 3 corps - who have collectively won, I believe, 30 DCI championships - will consider "the truth" that they should stop farting around and start designing "good" shows. B)

I'm sure the managements of the top 3 corps - who have collectively won, I believe, 30 DCI championships - will consider "the truth" that they should stop farting around and start designing "good" shows. B)

28 :P

I can't go along with your assertion that you, alone, can determine what appeals to "the widest makeup of an audience."

I never said I alone; I am only speculating without taking a survey.

So, it was a pro Cadet crowd.

I am certainly glad that you have finally striaghtened that out for us.

28 :P

Rounding up. :worthy:

FWIW, if you add in the Cavaliers and Cadets national wins back in the pre-DCI era, it starts approaching 40. Guess they didn't know what they were doing back in the 50s or 60s either. :P

Edited by mobrien

Rounding up. :worthy:

FWIW, if you add in the Cavaliers and Cadets national wins back in the pre-DCI era, it starts approaching 40. Guess they didn't know what they were doing back in the 50s or 60s either. :P

True, though Cadets kinda lost it in the 70's, and Cavies in the 70's and 80's :worthy: Just playin!

Rounding up. :rolleyes:

You are comparing apples to oranges: "they" are not the same people who run things now and "they" are not the same performers/musicians. :wall:

Back to my point: I am analyzing our activity; not using it or others as a target. I am interested in continuous improvement not change just because we can.

I think we need to focus on the audience and the performers. I think "management" (i.e., directors, music instructors, etc.) is there to serve these two different types of entertainment customers. I am advocating we move our focus off what the judges want and on to what the audience likes.

:)