Shows that SHOULD have won WGI.....discuss

TKYR_FA1986

Many people have said that there was no way that Erte Productions and State Street tied in 1985, and you can count me as one. I will also go on the record to say that there was no way State Street and Odyssey tied in 1986. Erte and Odyssey clearly deserved the win and singularly.

So what shows do you think should have won WGI?

my picks:

Odyssey 1987 - that show was so far ahead of it's time and the judges had NO IDEA what to do with it.

Northern Lights 2004 - I will admit that they had a few drops but Road To Perdition was leaps and bounds better than Fantasia's Vanishing Act.

Fantasia 2007 - not that Pride wasn't good but that show wasn't as good as Fantasia

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gee..

Well, for starters, I think Fantasia should have won in 2007.

*2004 was clearly Fantasia's own. That show, while messy, was AMAZINGLY gorgeous. And so emotional!

*2005 San Jose Raiders could have walked away with the Gold and I would have been thrilled. I think that show is very under rated.

*1992 Emerald Marquis should have won. Such an amazing show.. much more entertaining than San Jose Raiders in my opinion. The ending drill was just incredible!

*2000 Center Grove - wow! that's all.. wow

*1997 Emerald Marquis could have won.. maybe not by much. Blue Devils was SO messy... loved their show too, but that flag feature should have been so much cleaner.

*1999 Carroll High School - I don't know that they should have won, BUT they should have gotten the silver medal instead of the bronze. Such a clever show and, again in my opinion, much more fun to watch than Braddock (who clearly deserved a medal as well that year).

It's awfully hard to say on other years..... too many are too close to call.

In some of the earlier scholastic classes I sometimes wonder why certain groups medaled and others were in the middle/bottom tier.

I just DID NOT get Fantasia's 2004 show. I will admit that parts of it were beautiful, but as a whole, I can't help think.......... WHAT? as far as emotion, it made me feel ZILCH. When I think of emotional shows I think of Northern Lights Imagine, Forte's God's Kitchen, Chimeras' A Time To Say Goodbye and of course the show I was a part of Final Analysis' Celebrate Freedom

Oh gee..

Well, for starters, I think Fantasia should have won in 2007.

*2004 was clearly Fantasia's own. That show, while messy, was AMAZINGLY gorgeous. And so emotional!

*2005 San Jose Raiders could have walked away with the Gold and I would have been thrilled. I think that show is very under rated.

*1992 Emerald Marquis should have won. Such an amazing show.. much more entertaining than San Jose Raiders in my opinion. The ending drill was just incredible!

*2000 Center Grove - wow! that's all.. wow

*1997 Emerald Marquis could have won.. maybe not by much. Blue Devils was SO messy... loved their show too, but that flag feature should have been so much cleaner.

*1999 Carroll High School - I don't know that they should have won, BUT they should have gotten the silver medal instead of the bronze. Such a clever show and, again in my opinion, much more fun to watch than Braddock (who clearly deserved a medal as well that year).

It's awfully hard to say on other years..... too many are too close to call.

In some of the earlier scholastic classes I sometimes wonder why certain groups medaled and others were in the middle/bottom tier.

I agree 2003 it should have been Pride.

I agree with Fantasia winning in 2004......their design was leaps and bounds above NLs, which was probably the deciding factor. Fantasia's movement was much better that year too. NLs movement was not impressive at all that year to me. They used those chairs in so many different ways but I think the X factor that year was their equipment phrasing which was IMPRESSIVE if I am being modest about it.

And I am probably a huge minority but I totally agreed with Pride winning in 2007. Fantasias show was a tad gimmicky and predictible. Prides concept, the execution of that concept, and technical skills on weapon were fantastic.

In 2003 I think everyone and their Mom would agree that Patriots should have gotten 3rd and I don't even think I have to explain that any further.

In 2005 open class, Medea should have beat Interplay point blank. Weapons were better, design was better and their GE was amazing....that really made me scratch my head watching Interplay win. Heck I even though The Knights should have beat them.....

I agree 2003 it should have been Pride.

I agree with Fantasia winning in 2004......their design was leaps and bounds above NLs, which was probably the deciding factor. Fantasia's movement was much better that year too. NLs movement was not impressive at all that year to me. They used those chairs in so many different ways but I think the X factor that year was their equipment phrasing which was IMPRESSIVE if I am being modest about it.

And I am probably a huge minority but I totally agreed with Pride winning in 2007. Fantasias show was a tad gimmicky and predictible. Prides concept, the execution of that concept, and technical skills on weapon were fantastic.

In 2003 I think everyone and their Mom would agree that Patriots should have gotten 3rd and I don't even think I have to explain that any further.

In 2005 open class, Medea should have beat Interplay point blank. Weapons were better, design was better and their GE was amazing....that really made me scratch my head watching Interplay win. Heck I even though The Knights should have beat them.....

Wait a minute, you call Fantasia's 2007 show a tad gimmicky and predictable but you don't think calling your show What's Left and then spinning with your left hand gimmicky and predictable?

As far as 2004, that Vanishing Act was boring to me. There should have been a dislaimer saying that "you should not try to drive or operate heavy equipment immediately following this presentation." Actually the show should have been called "Ambien"

And, I agree with you on Pride's Stand Up, that was a great show

Edited by TKYR_FA1986

"Vanishing Act" was designed as tribute to Fantasia's designer (and WGI icon) Stanley Knaub, who passed some time before that. I can understand how someone who didn't know that would not understand the concept, but it doesn't justify calling it "boring".

In my opinion Fantasia 2004 is one of the best designed shows in WGI history. The execution was also very high. (2003 is a different story. What a mess!!) I would not have put Northern Lights in the top 3. A lot of cool tricks on rifle and that was about it. The whole thing with the stop, freeze, look dramatic for 30 seconds so that the girls scream was a bit overdone all three seasons of the all male NL.

I agree with Trish 100% on Fantasia's 2004 show. I think the X-Factor for that show was courage. It took a massive amount of courage to take on a show that would pay tribute to someone who was solely responsible for what color guard is today. Also, a ton of people contributed to the final product, and each person that was involved was directly linked to Stanley in some way or another. I can't watch that show without crying, so I try to watch it sparingly!

I get all teary eyed every time I watch Fantasia 2004. Such a wonderful tribute to one of the greatest minds in the activity.

2007 - I think Zydeco should have won Ind. Open. I just don't understand what is so great about Code Black's show. Maybe I was sitting in the wrong part of the arena that night, but I just didn't like it.