2007 DCA Championships

DonnaP

Uh-oh; neighbors and businesses in the parking lot concert area weren't happy

http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=529...amp;category=10

Hope the remedy is to provide receptacles or a clean-up crew instead of curtailing the after concerts

I noticed this Saturday and Sunday when I was behind the stadium in the corps truck area and looking for a place to dispose of my empty water bottle before going on the field. Some kind of system needs to be put in place so we can leave the area clean and not ruffle any feathers.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I echo the thank you to the police. The Buccaneers were last to finish loading equpment back on the trucks both nights. Two, sometimes three, police cars blocked the street of traffic for us. The officers kept telling us to take our time, they'd wait until we were finished.

Also, a thank you to Paschal and the Latino officer near Frontier Park. On the way to Paetec, I caught a red light, and my lead truck didn't realize it and continued on around a bend and out of sight. I went straight when I should have turned and ended up at the ball park. Both officers were very helpful in getting me back to Paetec.

Posted this in another thread but will repeat myself so Donna can see it.

From what I read about the trash situation some corps had trash bags and used them. But sounds like there wasn't any secure places to put the bags and the seagulls tore the bags and scattered everything. Might I suggest renting a dumpster or 55 gallon barrels to place in the corps area (or where ever the trashed area was). I work a large car show and 55 gallon barrels cut down on the loose trash a lot. Biggest problem is hiring someone to empty the barrels every night.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I did have one issue. After our performance at prelims, I went back to the bus and changed. Then when I went to the stadium, I wasn't allowed in. At first, they said we needed wristbands, then they said we needed to be wearing part of our uniform. I then had to go back to the bus and put on my sweaty bibbers to get into the park. It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't twisted my ankle during the show...again.

Now, I'm not saying this is that bad of a policy (even though most of the shows we go to use wristbands, the rest use hand stamps), we never heard about this policy until I walked up. Apparently, our corps wasn't the only one as I saw many people from other corps being turned away as well. Our director had to run back to the bus to tell everyone to stay/change back into half-unis.

I don't know where the communication breakdown was there, but I missed a few corps shows because of it. :(

I did have one issue. After our performance at prelims, I went back to the bus and changed. Then when I went to the stadium, I wasn't allowed in. At first, they said we needed wristbands, then they said we needed to be wearing part of our uniform. I then had to go back to the bus and put on my sweaty bibbers to get into the park. It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't twisted my ankle during the show...again.

Now, I'm not saying this is that bad of a policy (even though most of the shows we go to use wristbands, the rest use hand stamps), we never heard about this policy until I walked up. Apparently, our corps wasn't the only one as I saw many people from other corps being turned away as well. Our director had to run back to the bus to tell everyone to stay/change back into half-unis.

I don't know where the communication breakdown was there, but I missed a few corps shows because of it. :(

Did any other corps have this problem? I am going to talk to DCA about it at the next business meeting. Mostly, it was about communication, but also about a process that really didn't work well. Even if I have to buy the wristbands for my corps. . .

yeap, we had members in FULL uniform turned away and were told the only people who would be let in would be those in STAFF badges.

Apparantly the stamps didn't even work (even though we didn't get stamps when we left like we were supposed to).

Luckily I was able to go get our full corps wristbands early and get them to people so they wouldn't be hassled.

I still don't understand why corps can't get the weekend wristbands as they leave the field (since directors have to sign off on the number of people who are on the field), and use the staff wristbands we get at the manager's meeting like always

We had the same issues.Told one thing,,then got to the gate then it was another thing.This only happened on semis.For finals everyone was issued a arm band.Seems simple enough.

yeap, we had members in FULL uniform turned away and were told the only people who would be let in would be those in STAFF badges.

Apparantly the stamps didn't even work (even though we didn't get stamps when we left like we were supposed to).

Luckily I was able to go get our full corps wristbands early and get them to people so they wouldn't be hassled.

I still don't understand why corps can't get the weekend wristbands as they leave the field (since directors have to sign off on the number of people who are on the field), and use the staff wristbands we get at the manager's meeting like always

That was just crazy.They stamped our hands on one side of the field,,then 5 min later you try and get in with a hand stamp and you were treated like someone trying to hold up a liquor store.

Our members with part uniforms had no troubles at the gate.Your folks went on much earlier than we did.Apparently they were just making these rules up as the night went along.

Most of the complaints were addressed from last year.Food was plentiful and the beer was somewhat cold.Didnt have to wait 10 min to use the bathroom too.I din't try and use the ATM but one of our members did.He said it was down,,he walked around the corner and was able to get funds ok.

My biggest complaint of the evening is still how the field is marked and how far it is away from the stands.I had good seats near the 45 yard line and let me tell you ,,the sound went right over my head.Maybe next year I will try and get some of those Ozone seats so I can hear whats coming out of the field.

Edited by camel lips

But I must say, that Allen Buell is the guy that pulls all of these city and county government pieces together, and orchestrates the entire thing locally in Rochester. This championship certainly could not have happened with such finesse had he not spent a ridiculous amount of time stitching together all the squares of the quilt. It would be almost impossible for Dick Eschenmann, the DCA championship chairman to run this event without Allen laying the groundwork. Dick has an impossible job as it is, and Allen's help makes it much easier for him and his army to operate.

And, glossed over by all the events is the fact that Allen's birthday happens over Labor Day Weekend. So Happy Birthday Allen Buell. Now, I want everybody on DCP to send Allen Buell an email at allengun@aol.com and say HAPPY BIRTHDAY. We failed to mention that last year, so feel free to email him several times to catch up!

Glen

Thanks for the kind words Glen.... It means a lot. And now that you have told everyone about my B-Day I'm getting slammed with emails... THANKS A LOT!! I was happy to spend my 30th B-Day with you and my DCA Friends!

So what was the plan in the event or rain to line the field?

I'd like to suggest a couple of things:

1.) More than 1 porta-potty for participants in the truck area. People do get pre-show jitters, and standing in a long line doesn't help.

2.) Perhaps get a number of those cardboard trash cans to put on street corners around the truck/bus areas, like you see used at parades. Should be cheaper than plastic barrels, entirely disposable, and will keep the birds out.