ESPN Broadcast Discussion Topic

That is how it was in the 50's and 60's - local compititions from late May (yes, May because all the members were local) until 2nd week of august, then 10 day tour to VFW. And most of the corps that were scoring in the mid 80;s locally scored in the mid 60's once they got to VFW. But the cool thin was 60+ open class corps showed up.

I remember when I was living in Belleville IL about 10 years ago, looked at some town history. Back in 1960 there were 12 local corps within a 15 mile radius, including 2 all-girl. So there's 2 month s of contests right there. One could find a local contest just about every weekend.

DCI has done some good things. But adopting the national touring model in hindsight was not a " good road " for DCI to have Corps go down. It's ironic that they want to now pattern themselves like the NCAA. But the NCAA has Regional tournaments. You win there, you advance, or go home. DCI should have adopted that model. The regionals would have had 2 from the EAST, 2 from The WEST, 2 from the SOUTH, 2 from the NORTH advance to the National Championships to duke it out over 2-3 days. This would have created regional loyalties and regional identifications, regional rivalries, and regional recruiting. It would have been great to cheer on your regional representatives at Champiobships even if your corps did not advance out of the regional championships. But DCI had 50 Corps or so go on national tours and most went broke. Now we have a handful of Corps and no matter what city is listed on the side of the busse, or in the program book, the Corps might as well be from Timbuctu. And there is no regional identification anymore at all.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mello tick is from the girl who couldnt walk on to the field for retreat and had to be wheeled out on a wheelchair to hear the scores. Im sure you don't care though... B)

Good to know... at least there's a decent reason... sounds horrible but it looked like a missed direction change that night. Hope she's feeling better!

Probably not.... but the Blue Devils are. :P ... so to speak

The Bluey Devils?

Oh, you meant the 12 thing...

Wokka wokka wokka.

Thoughts after the fact...

OK, I've actually changed my mind about the Cadets' narration. Not that the amount or the script itself didn't stink, but that the delivery was indeed what was required based on the script. If it had been performed any less like (to paraphrase myself from earlier postings) the parody of a Mormon family from South Park, it would have been even more silly, IMRHO. Nice how they cut the silliest parts for the broadcast, huh?

I hope the guard chicks I was looking at were legal! Some of those "horses" had some pretty nice hindquarters....

Did everyone get a "Blue Hippo" ad, or was that a local cut-in?

What? No "drop your weapons"?

I predict Ben will come in and edit out a certain pic...

(Insert other stuff that has been said over and over)

All in all, it was better than it could have been, but with obvious room for improvement.