ESPN Broadcast Discussion Topic

Some Corps traveled down WAAAY too many" roads "in a Summer Tour..... and disappeared by the Fall...... 'never to be heard from again." Imagine" if Corps only did regional shows and went down those regional "roads" a few times.... then took the national" road" just once in the summer.... for the Championships. "Might have made all the difference" in having more Corps today.

I agree 1000% on that

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if the Odellos started BD.....then what did Jerry Seawright do? just curious

Sorry if someone already answered more fully... LOTS OF PAGES OF DISCUSSION!

Jerry Seawright was the director who pushed for the Blue Devils to become a Drum and Bugle Corps, since it was just a Drum and Bell corps previous to 1970.

Some Corps traveled down WAAAY too many" roads "in a Summer Tour..... and disappeared by the Fall...... 'never to be heard from again." Imagine" if Corps only did regional shows and went down those regional "roads" a few times.... then took the national" road" just once in the summer.... for the Championships. "Might have made all the difference" in having more Corps today.

That is how it was in the 50's and 60's - local compititions from late May (yes, May because all the members were local) until 2nd week of August, then 10 day tour to VFW. And most of the corps that were scoring in the mid 80's locally scored in the mid 60's once they got to VFW. But the cool thing was 60+ open class corps showed up.

I remember when I was living in Belleville IL about 10 years ago, looked at some town history. Back in 1960 there were 12 local corps within a 15 mile radius, including 2 all-girl. So there's 2 month s of contests right there. One could find a local contest just about every weekend.

Edited for grammar because I wrote this at o-dark-hundred while the aged pooch was outside doing her business...

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

1. Major marching tick in the mellos during the circles.

2. BD deserved drums, but what does body movement have to do with the Field Percussion judge?

1. Yes, her leg gave out... too lazy to find the thread about the guys who helped her after the show.

2. As much as visual demand while playing is a factor for brass judges... the judge even said "that adds even more demand" which I imagine is part of what he takes into account, just as brass judges do...

:ramd: two thumbs down espn2. thanks for making the shows so diffrent and cutting out some of the best parts. this wasnt the finals i was sitting in the front row at. :ramd:

OMG are you serious?? buy the DVDs then....i like the behind the scenes stuff. They need to sell that part to people. Honestly to non drum corps people, full 11:00 minture shows get boring especially 12 back to back....hell, i get bored! I thought they did great

Excellent broadcast, as usual. I found two things out tonight that I didnt know before.

1. I loved Blue Knights this year

2. Nobody had a shot in **** of overtaking the Devils Saturday night in Ca. And to think I actually

sat there that night with my fingers crossed. :grouphug:

Seriously though, what a great year for Division I drum corps, such variety in programming and all around entertainment.

~G~

well its a good thing they didnt show the 2nd half of BD's show....personally I thought they deserved to win, but there was a lot of dirt (season pass) I watched in their closer they should have made a much smaller gap. but thats all just my opinion i guess.....or crooked lines.....

well its a good thing they didnt show the 2nd half of BD's show....personally I thought they deserved to win, but there was a lot of dirt (season pass) I watched in their closer they should have made a much smaller gap. but thats all just my opinion i guess.....or crooked lines.....

They showed the highlights of all the corps, it's not like they set out to show the worst of everyone else, and just the best of BD. *shrug*

And by all the corps, I of course mean of the top 10, and 5 seconds each of Colts and Spirit. LAME.

I agree with just about everyone, that the director interviews should have been cut. Though interesting, I could just as easily click on a media page on DCI if I wanted to watch such things... Seeing more DRUM CORPS would have been infinitely more interesting :P.

Enough WNBA. :P

Agreed. And I lust for your Avatars! Who's the new one?

But they have such good fundamentals :P

Hmph. NBA vs. WNBA is like Blue Devils vs. XYZ non-elite corps--great fundamentals, no UMPH!!

So, I didn't read the other 41 pages of this thing. Great display of opportunism, Hroth, to pick an obvious topic to start. Why was I not surprised...

Anyways. So were there a million other people out there laughing their butts off when Steve made his "yard lines and hashmarks" comment?

C'mon, guys--this thing is NEVER going to die! Dang, I wish I could share with you what one little birdie (whose name shall remain anonymous!) said to me on the same topic. VERY funny!

Went to BoomerJack's Wings, but no volume--loud pop music. Ick. Enjoyed seeing some corps just for visual/M&M stuff--for about two corps. That got old, so I went home. Just got cable hooked up, so lucky me. Missed BK, Blooo, and Crown <**> Possibly the best part of the night.

Cuts sucked. Too much talking--kind of the theme of the year, I guess. After the broadcast I was thinking, with that in mind, perhaps Cadets SHOULD have won...

Envious of all of you in the stands--sounded like some intense stuff going on--wow!

For what the broadcast was, it was OK--gets the activity out in front of the mass public and allows fans to see the corps one last time before DVD's come out. But less talk and full performances would be really nice. Maybe provide web site info more often to direct interested folks to dci.org and the corps. Maybe some more free downloads and snippets online for fans new and old to tempt them into buying DVD's. Less corps history on the broadcast--that time is expensive, and it would be more appropriate online--and you can disseminate more there, too!

Give us the performances! Like the shows themselves, too much talk was distracting. The corps speak for themselves--even those with narration!

That is how it was in the 50's and 60's - local compititions from late May (yes, May because all the members were local) until 2nd week of august, then 10 day tour to VFW. And most of the corps that were scoring in the mid 80;s locally scored in the mid 60's once they got to VFW. But the cool thin was 60+ open class corps showed up.

I remember when I was living in Belleville IL about 10 years ago, looked at some town history. Back in 1960 there were 12 local corps within a 15 mile radius, including 2 all-girl. So there's 2 month s of contests right there. One could find a local contest just about every weekend.

Different eras completely, guys. Marching bands in the schools and all that. Ironically, with MB's getting the axe elsewhere (no problem in Texas!), those are shrinking and going away, too.

Unless you're in Texas--everything is bigger down here, you all say! MB's included.

That is how it was in the 50's and 60's - local compititions from late May (yes, May because all the members were local) until 2nd week of august, then 10 day tour to VFW. And most of the corps that were scoring in the mid 80;s locally scored in the mid 60's once they got to VFW. But the cool thin was 60+ open class corps showed up.

I remember the stories that some people told me about those dyas of the Belleville corps...I grew up in Fairview Heights (moved away in '98)