Aquarian drum heads

TAFL

I'd love to hear about it, too. I have one on my left wrist.

TAFL

Well they call it the "Bible" cyst because old remedy was to bash it up by using a heavy object, usually a bible. But in my case since it is so close to something vital I am not allowed to do it... It is VERY irritating...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the heads in (and won't be ordering anything more through that place!) and put them on last weekend to listen to the difference. I have to say we're pleased with what we heard. Our listening party included the corps director, a board member, our lead snare, and me.

On the tenors, the drier sound we got was much preferable to the sound we were getting from the Remo heads we had on. The Aquarians (Imperial II) provide a slightly darker sound without the overtone ring the pinstripes gave us. That's what I was hoping for with the two-ply head.

On the snare, pulling off the kevlar head and putting the mylar on gave us an immediate dose of a nice snare rasp--and I've yet to even tune the head! The Projector head, I think, is going to work well. I played on it just a bit and liked the feel. We'll see if I can get the snare sound I want out of the line after getting heads in for the other drums and having a tuning party.

I've yet to order a bass drum head to try. I may order both an Articulator and a Powertone to see what the difference is in sound. If I can get a good sound from one of those, we'll have Aquarian heads on the whole line.

TAFL

I don't like kevlar heads. I don't like the way the feel in play. <**> I don't like the way they sound. <**> I don't care for finding out how long it takes for me to get tendonitis playing on them. :( In my opinion, they are nasty things and I'll freely describe them as such when I'm posting anything that contains my opinion. :P

I'd like to know why some people feel the need to whine when others express perfectly good opinions! :doh:

I mean, why can't we all just get along? :laugh:

I like kevlar and mylar heads. I wish the premier Marathons were still around. Sometimes I will mix up things like putting remo powerstroke 77 on top, with a evans mx5 or a falams on the bottom. I do see that evans has a new hybrid head out. I choose heads based on the show and what kind of sound I want, and you don't have to crank a kevlar head....

Also, just because you play a drum, you're likely to get tendonitis. Here's a little excerpt from drummershealth.com:

" How to Avoid Tendonitis Type Conditions:

Thorough warm up and stretching on a regular basis combined with good mechanical technique and general physical conditioning will go a long way to avoiding tendonitis type conditions."

So maybe do some finger/wrist stretches before playing, and whenever you got the time sitting down doing nothing like watching tv. How many of us drummers have heard that at some point in our life, practice while watching tv, lol.

Edited by BigDrum247

Get kev. heads and tune them to the key of G.

Problem solved if you want the old school sound.