Aquarian drum heads

TAFL

So, I'm out looking at info on heads--we're gonna scrap the nasty kevlar heads <**> we have and get some nice mylar B) --and found that Aquarian makes marching heads. Anybody know of any line using them?

TAFL

taking a break from arranging opener

Edited by TAFL

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get back to work Larry. :ph34r::rock:

Why do some people feel the need to trash kevlar heads?

So, I'm out looking at info on heads--we're gonna scrap the nasty kevlar heads <**> we have and get some nice mylar B) --and found that Aquarian makes marching heads. Anybody know of any line using them?

TAFL

taking a break from arranging opener

A couple years back Roy Burns sent me some of their marching heads to try out. I'm not sure if you're looking to outfit the entire batterie with Aquarian but the bass and tenor heads aren't bad ! The Powertone bass heads (without the dot) react and sound much like a smooth white Remo Ambassador bass head. The Imperial II tenor heads react and sound much like the white Remo Emperor 2 ply heads.

Don't expect to get a real 'crisp' sound from your snare drums with the 'Precision Parade' snare drum heads. Roy uses a different type of mylar, the sound is a little darker, and the feel is different on the hands. The drumhead tends to 'give' a bit more than the Remo and the feel is a bit spongier than you would get with...let's say...a pinstripe head.

One drawback that I found is that the 'hoop' on the heads tend to bend inward toward the shell, whereas a Remo hoop keeps its' same basic shape throughout the life of the head.

Give them a try !

I'm not sure if you're looking to outfit the entire batterie with Aquarian but the bass and tenor heads aren't bad ! The Powertone bass heads (without the dot) react and sound much like a smooth white Remo Ambassador bass head. The Imperial II tenor heads react and sound much like the white Remo Emperor 2 ply heads.

Don't expect to get a real 'crisp' sound from your snare drums with the 'Precision Parade' snare drum heads.

I was eyeballing the Projector heads, actually, thinking those could work nicely. I've happy memories :) of single-ply heads with dots and have been looking to see which companies are still providing those. I may have to buy one to try.

Hmm, the Aquarian snare heads any good?

Why do some people feel the need to trash kevlar heads?

I don't like kevlar heads. I don't like the way the feel in play. <**> I don't like the way they sound. <**> I don't care for finding out how long it takes for me to get tendonitis playing on them. :( In my opinion, they are nasty things and I'll freely describe them as such when I'm posting anything that contains my opinion. :P

I'd like to know why some people feel the need to whine when others express perfectly good opinions! :beer:

I mean, why can't we all just get along? :laugh:

I was eyeballing the Projector heads, actually, thinking those could work nicely. I've happy memories :) of single-ply heads with dots and have been looking to see which companies are still providing those. I may have to buy one to try.

Hmm, the Aquarian snare heads any good?

I tried the Projector heads on a set of quints, and I found that it was just 'too much dot' for the drumheads to resonate ! It really dried the sound out a bit too much (at least for my tastes). I would still suggest the Imperial II.

Ludwig still makes the silver dot drumheads ! I use their heads on all the new drums I manufacture simply because I like the sound.

Remo still makes the 'black dot' heads, but I'm sure they're not in real demand...so it may be a special order !

Way back machines I guess.

Kevlar heads are only bad because the person tuning them cranks them too high.

Way back machines? Well, we are playing 2 valve G Bugles so Mylar snare heads shouldn't really be a suprise. Mylar should go well with our total show design since we are playing ?????? sorry still a secret. :P