Aquarian drum heads

TAFL

I know quite a few people have wrist problems, but it probably isn't due to the kevlar alone, but most importantly technique. Anyone could still develop issues with their wrists if they aren't excercising proper technique.

I'm surprised you like the thicker Tendura heads. I prefer more give from the Black/WhiteMax series which also does translate into more snare response with less effort. But tuning of the bottom head AND GUTS also plays a major part in this dry table top vs wet full bodied snare.

You can't be more CORRECT ! I know alot of instructors that teach strictly from the 'wrist'. Unless one incorporates some 'forearm' into their teachings I believe they are doing their players a GREAT injustice !

It's not the technology that sucks !

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple years back Roy Burns sent me some of their marching heads to try out. I'm not sure if you're looking to outfit the entire batterie with Aquarian but the bass and tenor heads aren't bad ! The Powertone bass heads (without the dot) react and sound much like a smooth white Remo Ambassador bass head. The Imperial II tenor heads react and sound much like the white Remo Emperor 2 ply heads.

Don't expect to get a real 'crisp' sound from your snare drums with the 'Precision Parade' snare drum heads. Roy uses a different type of mylar, the sound is a little darker, and the feel is different on the hands. The drumhead tends to 'give' a bit more than the Remo and the feel is a bit spongier than you would get with...let's say...a pinstripe head.

One drawback that I found is that the 'hoop' on the heads tend to bend inward toward the shell, whereas a Remo hoop keeps its' same basic shape throughout the life of the head.

Give them a try !

I found that double hooping just about any drum head works very well. Helps add support to the head and helps prevents from over cranking...

I'm surprised you like the thicker Tendura heads. I prefer more give from the Black/WhiteMax series which also does translate into more snare response with less effort. But tuning of the bottom head AND GUTS also plays a major part in this dry table top vs wet full bodied snare.

I think the older Falam heads sounded too thin. But maybe there is a newer head on the market that Remo offers now.

If you're teaching kids to play with only wrist with no "speedo" technique, you're probably asking for trouble.

I know quite a few people have wrist problems, but it probably isn't due to the kevlar alone, but most importantly technique. Anyone could still develop issues with their wrists if they aren't excercising proper technique.

In my personal experience, I have yet to meet anyone with tendonitis or any other wrist ailment that occured as a result of snare playing - not saying they aren't out there, but if Kevlar=tendonitis then there should be a lot more kids/drummers out there with busted wrists, and there just aren't. So yeah, I totally agree with TFWD, it's bad technique, not equipment that causes injuries.

Tendonitous or tennis elbow occurs in the elbow area and radiates into the forarm and can go all the way down to the hand. It really sucks because you don't appear injured but you feel real pain. I have heard of people having it and have seen at least one post where it was mentioned on DCP.

I had to deal with this while I was in Iraq due to lifting too many ammo can and working on .50 cals and my truck too much. I know this doesn't have anything to do with drumming but the condition is really no fun. <**>

Side note: I talked to my therapist and asked him if drumming exercises would be good to strenthen the tendons. He said, "I don't think it would hurt and it would probably strengthen the tendons." The tendons that are affected are the same ones you use when playing drums.

If anyone does get this condition, just remember to apply heat to the injured area before exersizing and apply a cold pack after exercising. The Ice is real important to bring down the inflamation and keep the tendons from rubbing on bone and such or being pinched. When I say apply cold pack I mean a big pack that wraps totally around the arm and keep it on until the you feel it go numb. It hurts but if tendon swelling isn't brought down the condition won't get any better. Took me two years to defeat this stuff. :unsure:

Another thing that help is one of those electric current machines like the Chiropractor uses. There are portable models that travel well. There were times were I could get a hold of ice and this machine really helped eliminate the pain in the elbows and forarms.

Not that I am advocating self-medicating, but 800 mg doses of ibuprofen every four hours really helps with swelling associated with tendonitis as well. Just make sure you eat something first, or it will really shred your stomach.

Not that I am advocating self-medicating, but 800 mg doses of ibuprofen every four hours really helps with swelling associated with tendonitis as well.

As a former roommate of a Pharmacy major, 800mg is the prescription strength dosage of ibuprofen and should not be exceeded.

Also, I would assume plastic would be harder on your wrists/arms since you have to stroke the sticks a lot more (instead of letting the kevlar do half the work for you :) ).

Edited by atlvalet

Not that I am advocating self-medicating, but 800 mg doses of ibuprofen every four hours really helps with swelling associated with tendonitis as well. Just make sure you eat something first, or it will really shred your stomach.

I was also on this throughout my teens because of wrist pain and swelling. Ironically it was when I played bass drum, once I made the switch to tenors it wasn't as bad, but did show it's ugly head every once in a while. Nowadays, it's much worse. I get the worst pain in between my thumb and pointer finger on the palm side of my hand. It gets so bad I can't grip sticks and have to stop playing for a while. Even 800mg Ibuprofen doesn't stop the pain.

I developed a gangleon cyst on the underside of my wrist. I went to go see if I could have it removed but the doctor said to wait because he thought it wasn't serious enough to risk something major happening due to the fact that it has attached itself to a major vein. I read online that it is possible to take a syringe and pump the fluid out and inject it with a little anti-inflamatory and within a couple treatments would be fine. Has anyone tried that method?

Edited by Skydrummer9

I developed a gangleon cyst on the underside of my wrist. I went to go see if I could have it removed but the doctor said to wait because he thought it wasn't serious enough to risk something major happening due to the fact that it has attached itself to a major vein. I read online that it is possible to take a syringe and pump the fluid out and inject it with a little anti-inflamatory and within a couple treatments would be fine. Has anyone tried that method?

I'd love to hear about it, too. I have one on my left wrist.

TAFL