What makes kids choose a Corps?

Piper

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was born and raised in the Chicago area. My parents met (as did my aunt and uncle) in different top Chicago area drum corps back in the 60's (this was back in a time when there were many more corps to choose from). All four of the corps my family marched were no longer around, unfortunately ( Kilties, Royal-Airs, Norwood Park Imperials, and Des Plaines Vanguard). ( Wow, I'm using a lot a ()'s!!!) So I chose the closest corps to my home. I really loved drum corps, but never liked the organization I was with. My parents knew this, and felt the same as I did. When I turned 16, I decided I was going to Madison. I always loved Madison. They played music that gave me goosebumps, and the soprano line was hot. There was a vibe to that corps that drew me in, and were always a crowd favorite. So I decided to go to Madison. The only corps that I would choose over Madison was The Blue Devils. To me, they were GODS! They played this sizzlin' hot Laitn jazz...The music was so difficult, but they made it look easy. The marching style was so fluid, and they just seemed to float across the field. I thought their hornline had a sound that was simply unmatched in fullness and intonation. However, they were in California. I was in high school. I didn't think I was nearly good enough to even come close to making that soprano line. Well, one day my dad said he was taking me to Concord. I guess I was lucky, my dad felt the same way about BD as I did.

I haven't been in a corps yet, but I've always wanted to march for Phantom. And it doesn't matter that I'd have to fly halfway across the world.

Uniform- awesome. The white is just.... I don't even know how to say it. AWESOME.

Music- Their repertoire is limitless (has anyone ever run out of great classical music? Well-known or otherwise?), and the arrangements can't be beat; they have NEVER left me dissapointed-- you know that feeling. Like, when you hear a movie is coming out (like Drumline) that you hope beyond hope will be totally sweet? And then it crushes all of your dreams because it sucks? It's exactly the opposite with PR. I heard they were doing Firebird this year, and I hoped that the arrangement would do it justice. Needless to say, I was blown away (as always, when it comes to the Regiment), even if it didn't really fit in with the rest of the show. Gotta love JD's style. He really knows how to write the classical Phantom Regiment style that we all know and love.

Marching style- I love the unique ballet-esque foot position, as well Phantom's signature heel-halt, and of course, the leg-kick wedge. The first drum corps show I ever saw was PR's Harmonic Journey (2003), and the end of that show is so BALLS TO THE WALLS AWESOME. They were my immediate favorite. I guess the fact that they were the first corps I ever saw has something to do with my bias towards them as well, but we don't talk about that.

Sound- Such a huge, dark, awesome sound. PR and Blooo are my favorites when it comes to this. I'm a low brass freak, what can I say?

Also, I always ask my friends (who are DC vets) who their favorite corps is besides their own. More than once I've gotten PR as the answer because (and the quote goes something like this), "not only are they a fantastic, competitive, crowd-pleasing corps, but they have class. I've never heard any Regiment member talk down about anyone. They're one of the most positive groups of people I've ever met." <-- That is the most important factor in my decision. A corps without class is just a bad rock band. One of the other corps I would audition for would be Santa Clara, because, from what I hear, they've got the same thing going for them.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up why I went to Regiment. I saw them at the first show I went to in 97, and simply fell in love with the corps. I marched with the Americanos first because a friend recommended it as a great place to build up my chops and gain real experience (and was he ever right). A huge thing for me was how prominent the tenor voice was in the hornline - as a bari/euph player it just didn't get any better than that. After watching PR closely from the stands in 01 and 02, I knew that I had to give it everything I had to march there for my age-out in 03.

There are many great corps out there, but few opportunities compare to getting to say you were lucky enough to have been in Regiment's buick line. :)

I feel like we did some good stuff during my time at Crossmen.

I would have to agree with you - definitely loved those shows, but 01-02 (you were involved for the later) were especially fun to watch.

My first corps I marched with because they were very local, class B corps. 16 horns and 14 of us played. Friends of mine invited me one day and I stayed. I learned alot about myself in that corps. My very first show with them was in Manning Bowl in Lynn, Massachusetts. I'd never seen a drum corps show before even though I was in one. The Bridgemen, 27, and Garfield were there among others. I don't remember much about the performances, but Garfield were not on last, and left the field only to come back into the stadium to sit on the front side to watch the last corps perform and the retreat. So they walked in front of us. Single file, shakos in hand, clean cut, beautiful girls in the guard, and silently, with dignity and determination. That simple walk Garifield took in the stands in front of my corps did more for me than they'll ever know. I was in awe of their mystique. I knew 5 minutes after it happened that I wanted to be one of them. I never really doubted it. I was attracted to who they were more than what they did. Three years later, I was a member.

Well... It's a few different things (at least for me...)

1. I really really really have been enjoying "x corps'" shows for the past few years, and it makes me want to try out for them. Their show moved me in a way that makes me want to be a part of that group

2. Location.

3. Errr.... Location. Because that affects the total cost. And, I'm poor. So yeah, Cost.

When I asked myself what corps to audition for I took 3 things into factor:

1. Location. I can't go to PA or CA because, well, I'm 15. So I decided I was going to try out for Scouts and the Blue Stars because they're close

2. Legacy. The Madison Scouts have an attitude that I think is part of their legacy. The Blue Stars have a History with the activity.

3. Cost

For me it's location for now. If it doesn't work out auditioning for Crown then it'll basically be whoever I can get a spot with and I'll be happy to march before it's too late and I regret it for the rest of my life.

Hmm...no one has mentioned food yet.....
:grrr: Yes I did check my post out on page 2 . the Glassmen have great food !! :worthy::grrr: