God I love SCV 1991

They won GE percussion, but there was a 3-way tie between Star, Cavies, and SVC for 1st in total percussion (19.3).

If they included GE percussion in the high percussion award, then SCV would win by .1 of a point.

Actually, there was a three way tie on the field but cavies and scv tied in GE. Therefore, both Cavies and SCV tied for the title. They both got trophies. I've seen them.

That's one of my all time favorite shows! I made it a point to get my equipment put away in time to watch it as often as I could. There were lots of other shows I never saw or cared to see, but that one I watched time and time again and never got tired of it. :)

By far one of the best endings by a drumline... Unsion roll into an accellerando underneath the brass sustaining the last chord. Followed by the pit and drumline doing the "stereo" helicopter sound. Pure brillance. Gives me chills everytime I listen to it, as a percussionist and fan of Drum corps.

Side note: Cavaliers Perc. Arranger Jim Casella marched 3rd Bass along with Murray Gusseck on Tenors

Edited by Jeffe77

I'm a HUGE fan of 1991 SCV also. They may not have been a serious contender for the title, but it was a beautiful, intense, emotional show. I loved watching it live. Truly beautiful show. I wish drum corps would still paint with that kind of brush stroke. The members never stopped pushing forward and never let down. And I would have given just about anything to have been able to march that season as my age-out year. (I aged out in 1990...)

While I was on tour with Sky Ryders in 1991 (visual staff), I watched the end of the ballad "Sun and Moon" go through two or three revisions. And in my opinion, all of the mid season endings they tried were more inspiring and more effective than the one they performed at Finals.

The one I remember most was when they made a tight ball or wedge and knelt down, put their horns on the ground and then raised their hands to the heavens and seemed to be suggesting a little Vietnamese village worshipping... The colorguard was behind the "village" and they gently waved those huge wicker fan blades they had to sorta suggest palm trees swaying in the gentle breeze...And then they did a seriously KEWL thing. B) When the drums started making the sounds of the helicopters approaching, the guard began shaking the "leaves" of the trees like they were being pelted by the wind from the copters. And then after it built to a violent shaking, BOOM! ... the village started exploding and then the village/corps was blown apart by incoming bombs. It was awesome. :doh: And I missed that cumulative effect the minute they changed it. I thought that was one of coolest things on the field in 1991 and it wasn't really there by the time they got to Dallas for Championships.

Not a huge change from what they performed at Finals... but I thought the show was better before they changed it.

This is one of my all-time favorite shows. Being a guard chick, I hardly ever notice the drumline (no offense but my eyes follow the guard typically) but for this show... the drumline caught my attention. Wow! That was my rookie year in drum corps and I always loved going to watch SCV. :)

Luckily someone taught me the drum solo for that year, so I can play along at home. Love those inverts...yummy :D

I talked to a member of the corps from that year, who told me the staff put them through the wringer the day of finals. Everybody knows the opener: helicopter roll from the battery while the horn line runs--no, sprints--onto the field and launches into the show. Well, it seems there was a phasing problem with the opener, so they kept running it. Repeatedly. After running flat-out onto the field about 20 times, those kids were out of gas by the end of rehearsal, just in time to go to the Cotton Bowl and perform. <**> Seems to me the staff should have thought to quit while they were ahead.