Best Music arrangers of all time?

Going way back to the 60s and 70s, perhaps not the "best" of all time, I think he'd agree with that, but, many of the smaller corps in southeastern PA and South Jersey would have had nothing to play had it not been for the perrenial nice guy, Ray Eyler.

I don't think I could list all the corps that played Ray's charts. Believe me, there was a bundle of them!

If you were counting number of corps arranged for and taught, (by rote method, no less!), then Ray would be one of the top

CRAP - That's TWO posts that I tried to quote and respond to and responded to the wrong post in each case!!! No wonder I don't visit DCP often!!! I suck at posting!!!!!

I'm not sure where Ray would fit on this list of arrangers, but if there is a list of perfect players, he's got to be right at the top with Tommy Martin, Bucky Swan, Frank Dorritie and others that you all are so aware of.

If there is a list of drum corps instructors responsible for starting young players and nurturing them artistically and musically, Ray is in a class with few others, including Tommy Martin again, and Bucky Swan... I know the list goes on and on.

Additionally, if there is a list of the best, classiest people ever to have graced the activity, Ray is right there. Every group with which Ray has been associated has been enriched by his presence.

Whether or not he's in this pantheon of the great DC arrangers, Ray Eyler is unsurpassed as a a DC person.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Additionally, if there is a list of the best, classiest people ever to have graced the activity, Ray is right there. Every group with which Ray has been associated has been enriched by his presence.

Whether or not he's in this pantheon of the great DC arrangers, Ray Eyler is unsurpassed as a a DC person.

I agree.

Few people realize, Ray had a big influence, particularly on soprano players. I'll never forgive him for getting me to play on a Parduba Double Cup :P (I don't anymore)

Another interesting thing, if you look at the history of how and why things happen the way they do...

Ray Eyler was involved and was, indeed, the catalyst of a chain of events that led directly to the forming of Crossmen.

No Ray = No Crossmen.

From what I've managed to gather in toto on Michael Klesch's arranging:

Cadets: 1985 - 1992 (Brass Staff 1984)

Crossmen: 1994 - 1995, 1997 - 1999

Phantom Regiment: 2000 - 2002

Carolina Crown: 2003 - Present

I think he's also done some work with the Colts, but I don't know when. I also have no clue about '93 and '96.

JD Shaw was Phantom Regiment's arranger in 02

"Family Trees of Influence"

After looking at the lists, I started seeing some common lines of "influence" from generation to generation. It's fascinating to me to listen for similarities when I listen to guys in "common lineages." Here's one that I see (someone please correct me if I'm wrong):

Larry Kerschner -> Jim Prime -> Michael Klesch -> Jay Bocook? (not too sure about this one)

Any of you DC historical buffs have any "lineages" to share?

What I know about who arranged what:

Jim Wedge, Hall of Famer-27th Lancers (I'm sure there may be some more but I don't know who they are).

Ken Norman-Kilties-Memphis Blues Brass Band, (I guess someone else will have to fill in the blanks.)

Frank Dorritie-Blue Devils, 27th Lancers 1986 (yes that's right)

Gail Royer-Santa Clara Vanguard. I personally found out recently that he was the arranger for all those years...boy I sure do miss him (RIP).

Some of the others have been mentioned.

From what I've managed to gather in toto on Michael Klesch's arranging:

Cadets: 1985 - 1992 (Brass Staff 1984)

Crossmen: 1994 - 1995, 1997 - 1999

Phantom Regiment: 2000 - 2002

Carolina Crown: 2003 - Present

Michael Klesch also wrote for Spirit of Atlanta in 1990 (the Gone with the Wind year).

However, he did not write all of the years for Cadets that you have noted...Robert Smith arranged the Les Miserables show in 1989...not sure about the rest.

which of all these guys can still be hired to compose?

top 5 in no particular order

Pete Spadaro (totally underrated)

RM - old skool rules

ampssuck

Wow, there's a name from the past. who else besides early 80's bluecoats did Pete arrange for?