Staff Changes for 08

CoreyD

That is a great pick up for them. Kevin is a freakin genious. The things he has done at Tarpon Springs are incredible

Except writing for high school and writing for drum corps are two totally different things. Kevin Ford is not a *bad* drill writer, but I'm not a huge fan of his writing for corps.

For example, those of you who were complaining that Boston's drill was uninspired this past summer: he wrote that drill. Again, it's not bad, just not innovative or particularly exciting for what's going on visually in the top caliber drum corps these days. Will it help Blue Stars get an edge up? Definitely. But it's not going to be Michael Gaines or anything...

I thought Boston's visual this past summer was effective but not particularly memorable or unique. So that's what to expect (at least if you agree with my perspective on this matter). It was definitely better than 2006, however...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's official

from bluestars.org

what position will ron be participating in at the blue stars next year?

The 2001 and 2004 drill are pretty much the best stuff he's ever written for them. Especially 2001, jeez they were running all over the place.

I'm confused.................................'running all over the place' is good drill????????????????????????

yeah for real.....'01 was cool and had some good drill moments, but it was definitely overwritten (and overdesigned but i dont know how much of that was his fault) and the corps was held back for that reason.

yeah for real.....'01 was cool and had some good drill moments, but it was definitely overwritten (and overdesigned but i dont know how much of that was his fault) and the corps was held back for that reason.

As far as the '01 show was concerned, to be frank I thought it was just about Boston's best attempt at originality from a programming standpoint...I feel a few things along the lines of individual choreography, weak hornline sound, and an unfortunate color palette were most of what held this unit back. If the drill were a little less recycled (quite a few good moments, IMO) and a little more backed up by the elements I mentioned, I think it might've been given a platform to really shine.

The thing that strikes me most about this show is the sheer physical demand of it, especially considering the corps' technique, and I wonder if this might be a little more appreciated score-wise these days. I'm baffled how anyone got the message of mustard yellow and lime green out of this program, though. Give me some vibrant blues, soft indigo shades, black, and off-white tones and you have a much more expressive and appropriate color set, something I've usually thought to be a BAC strongpoint over the years. It can't be easy to give any performing unit a good Visual GE score when you look at the field and see "jarring and ugly", can it? Coming off of the 2000 season, it's a marvel how Boston came so close and yet managed to really miss the boat with this show. I guess that's part of why I'm so intrigued by it.

well actually, i hadnt mentioned, its my favorite boston show by the way. i especially love the music writing up until the segment where the box unwinds, ala phantom 2000. the tag ending was especially embarassing. other than that, i really do like the show a whole lot.

I'm more interested to see what happens in the guard area with Blue Stars. To me, that was their biggest downfall last year, particularly after a solid 2006 guard. Will Shapiro attract enough talent, or will they spend the first half of the year filling holes again? I saw them in early July this past summer and they were still recruiting guard at their souvie table.