Those unhappy with narration, woodwinds, et al...

Disagreement noted. Marketing research and accurate opinion polling. Easy stuff. :whistle:

Anyway, to talk about woodwinds a bit. I'm a woodwind player, and I'll leave DCI far behind if woodwinds become standard in drum corps. It's for purely personal reasons, so I'll personally choose to not attend shows anymore. I'm really hoping they just create a kind of anything goes division and keep a non-woodwind division in play. If so, then I'll keep going to shows. As with the whole i and e thing, if enough people agree with me, the financial impact will be felt, and while it might not affect change, it's the best means at my/our disposal to do so.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to note... I'm kind of surprised that a lot of people are pushing for electronic instruments (read: synthesizers). I mean, if you HAVE to have a string sound, wouldn't you at LEAST like to keep all the sounds "real"? I think the LAST thing in this entire chain should be "false" sounds... IE, synthesization (word?) should be the final step if we have to take this path.

I'd much rather have clarinets and a mic'd fiddler than some kid on a Yamaha keyboard.

My two favorite debaters didn't reply so I'm quoting myself to get them to respond. :P

Just to note... I'm kind of surprised that a lot of people are pushing for electronic instruments (read: synthesizers). I mean, if you HAVE to have a string sound, wouldn't you at LEAST like to keep all the sounds "real"? I think the LAST thing in this entire chain should be "false" sounds... IE, synthesization (word?) should be the final step if we have to take this path.

I'd much rather have clarinets and a mic'd fiddler than some kid on a Yamaha keyboard.

You've obviously never played a good synthesizer before. No one's talking about those crummy $99 keyboards you get at Walmart.

You've obviously never played a good synthesizer before. No one's talking about those crummy $99 keyboards you get at Walmart.

Point being, if these things HAVE to be added, I'd rather have someone actually playing a fiddle than having a fiddle sound come out of a keyboard. "Real" vs. "Fake"

Point being, if these things HAVE to be added, I'd rather have someone actually playing a fiddle than having a fiddle sound come out of a keyboard. "Real" vs. "Fake"

Who said that that's what the synths would be used for? Hate to break it to you, but I think they can come up with a lot better ideas than your speculations.

Anyway, this horse has been beaten to death on DCP, so I'd rather not get into it. Especially since I'm not exactly well versed in the technology of electronic instruments, not as much as my friend mistoffolies (I feel like an idiot calling him that...), but seriously the whole "Synthesizers are fake sound blahblah" mantra is just an old, ignorant diatribe. Electronic music has evolved a lot, and even still, has never been this oversimplification of "Oh I'm going to just used a fiddle patch instead of a real fiddle cause I have no talent derp derp" since it obviously takes talent to play the things.

Basically what I'm saying is, there's no such thing as fake sound, all sounds are real.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Basically what I'm saying is, there's no such thing as fake sound, all sounds are real.

Hey, with no such thing as a fake sound, let's just advance DCI to 2038 and get rid of horns and percussion entirely. Then we'll reproduce all drum corps sounds uber-realistically with electronic keyboards. We'll call it synthetic corps or Synth Corps for short. We'll even have pre-recorded narration that's only a keystroke away. Sign me up.

Hey, with no such thing as a fake sound, let's just advance DCI to 2038 and get rid of horns and percussion entirely. Then we'll reproduce all drum corps sounds uber-realistically with electronic keyboards. We'll call it synthetic corps or Synth Corps for short. We'll even have pre-recorded narration that's only a keystroke away. Sign me up.

Like hyperboles much? This post is worse than breaking Godwin's Law. Seriously man, either add something insightful or just don't post.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Like hyperboles much? This post is worse than breaking Godwin's Law. Seriously man, either add something insightful or just don't post.

What? So what I wrote is worse than bringing up some Nazi comparison? Give-me-a-freakin'-break.

I like to demonstrate absurdity by being absurd. Everyone talks about progress and how we should add woodwinds...let's really progress this activity and just change everything. And with all this crazy-talk about electronics in DCI, you think it will be done well? Like what, narration?

Edited by atlvalet

As far as the capabilities of synthesizers, no where did I mention about them replacing acoustic instruments, that's just ignorant. They can obviously coexist, you'll get a unique sonority to happen. More sound is possible.

Take this for example. A simple example, just a little clip from one of The Residents albums, a very good one at that. They're normally pretty good at achieving very unique voices on their synth work.

Here is another clip of The Residents, I think a better example than the first.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KlhPm9Iyrm0

Of course the ubiquitous mention of Philip Glass

Lastly I'll just post a video of the Wersi Bass Synthesizer, very cool.

As far as the capabilities of synthesizers, no where did I mention about them replacing acoustic instruments, that's just ignorant. They can obviously coexist, you'll get a unique sonority to happen. More sound is possible.

Take this for example. A simple example, just a little clip from one of The Residents albums, a very good one at that. They're normally pretty good at achieving very unique voices on their synth work.

Here is another clip of The Residents, I think a better example than the first.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KlhPm9Iyrm0

Of course the ubiquitous mention of Philip Glass

Lastly I'll just post a video of the Wersi Bass Synthesizer, very cool.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHH!

Here is a clip for you:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aISqoUskxIU&amp...ted&search=

Seriously, I am really having a hard time with how all this is good for drum corps. It's going to make me want to scratch my eyeballs out more than narration. I am really beginning to become Howard Dean crazy.

Edited by atlvalet