It's called DRUM & BUGLE Corps

Actually, timpani came out of the Arab world from the Medieval era. Two of them would be slung across a horse or camel and used in processionals with trumpets and other instruments, so you could make a case that marching band of a sort was the origin of timpani.

One kettledrum is called a timpano, even though spell check doesn't like it.

Hmmmm. Trumpets, you say? With valves? In what key? Could they have been serpentines, since timpani is an Italian word?

Other instruments, you say? Kazoos, maybe? Yes, Medieval kazoos. And the "Medieval era" is a little vague. How would you define it?

"Marching band of a sort", Did the horses or camels march in front of the procession or behind? Did the marchers "step in it" or go around?

:P

This is what it has come to.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One kettledrum is called a timpano, even though spell check doesn't like it.

Hmmmm. Trumpets, you say? With valves? In what key? Could they have been serpentines, since timpani is an Italian word?

Other instruments, you say? Kazoos, maybe? Yes, Medieval kazoos. And the "Medieval era" is a little vague. How would you define it?

"Marching band of a sort", Did the horses or camels march in front of the procession or behind? Did the marchers "step in it" or go around?

:P

This is what it has come to.

I believe it was around the 13th century, but that is pulling it from a long-time-ago memory! I remember actually seeing an old tapestry at the Cloisters that showed such a procession. Have NO idea when it was from.

I believe it was around the 13th century, but that is pulling it from a long-time-ago memory! I remember actually seeing an old tapestry at the Cloisters that showed such a procession. Have NO idea when it was from.

Wow! The 13th century! That is a long-time ago memory. Does AARP even have a demographic for you?

Wow! The 13th century! That is a long-time ago memory.

I think the 13th century was when my knees were born...at least some days, that's how they feel! :P

Fran

Isn't the entire issue about allowing woodwinds into Drum and Bugle Corps?

Woodwinds = bad idea for drum corps, IMO. I hope it never happens.

Fran

Woodwinds = bad idea for drum corps, IMO. I hope it never happens.

Fran

Let me jump on this "corpswagon"! :P I agree that woodwinds would not be good for drum corps and I, too, hope it never happensd in my lifetime (I'm 53 now and plan to live to at least 100). No disrepect intended for MikeD. B)

Let me jump on this "corpswagon"! :P I agree that woodwinds would not be good for drum corps and I, too, hope it never happensd in my lifetime (I'm 53 now and plan to live to at least 100). No disrepect intended for MikeD. B)

Woodwinds? then we might as well add Saxaphones Banjos and Bull Fiddles. We can wear wild costumes, move to Philadelphia, eat bratwurst & drink Yeungling beer and become Mummers. I get this ugly image of 12 clarinete players trying to run and play with their hats tilted back on their heads as they usually do. Yes I know....a saxaphone is technically a woodwind. The reeds used are a danger to your mouth if you're running and playing.

Jim Ormiston, Park City Pride :mmm: :mmm: :mmm: