Sorry, but this didn't do anything yet.

drumcat

Open division and attendance  

111 members have voted

1. 1. On just the combination of 2/3 to Open, attendance will:

• Be positively affected
    • Not be affected (or negatively)

Please allow me to say, "thank goodness". I think I first posted my opinion about 12 years ago on RAMD that it was time for 2/3 to be one division. Now that it has come to pass, sort of, the sum total is what? At least from the point of view for fans, what I see is that, for example, Memphis would not be champs today, the show would have been identical, and as far as I can tell, it's still "Drum Corps Lite".

Hey, I'm glad this got everyone's attention. In reality, Division 2 wasn't viable anyhow, given that it was going to be about a 4-pony show. So go that it's getting focus. But the question to anyone is this:

Does this do anything to put butts in seats?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i understood after reading the article, it's a proposal to be put forth to DCI, but one that hasn't been enacted (yet).

My opinion, I like the idea of one 'open' division as opposed to calling it DivI and DivII.

OK, I must admit, I'm floored. This poll so far says that my skepticism is misplaced. To Mickk, let's be sure, it's not a mixing of what is now Division 1 and anyone in 2/3.

I'm still just completely miffed. Can anyone explain WHY attendance will rise? As far as I can tell, all they've done is eliminate Division 3... why would that have any effect? Anyone? Buehler?

as opposed to calling it DivI and DivII

right right.. my bad. I meant to say DivII and DivIII

from what i understood after reading the article, it's a proposal to be put forth to DCI, but one that hasn't been enacted (yet).

don't let the cookie cutter way this was presented have any affect on your taking in the knowledge...this was mandated by DCI during finals week and the II/III board was told to make it happen in September. The article is just reporting on what happened...it's all about marketing marketing marketing

Is this a fact, or merely speculation on your part?

I can't imagine, after reading the article and getting a feeling for the mood in the room, that any of the Div II/III directors felt like this was being mandated. It just seems to make good sense. And, who cares if it is about 'marketing, marketing, marketing' as you allege? If it makes it easier for these corps to "sell" shows to new sponsors who are willing to pay them, and if makes it more interesting for people to come and support them during finals week, isn't this a good thing?

It always seems odd to me when I read articles on the DCI web site, talking about how the directors feel in a given situation, and then come here or to other forums to see the Monday morning quarterbacks who all seem to think they know better. I guess I'll never understand that.

this was mandated by DCI during finals week and the II/III board was told to make it happen in September.

moving away from the poll, I think this is a very good idea. I hope they do away with the II/III judge sheets as well.

Something I would do also though is setup a start-up division, something corps and their sponsoring organizations can use to get their feet wet.

And other things too, but this is a good start. YAY TO THE DIRECTORS FOR TAKING SUCH A BOLD STEP! ^OO^

Being a very competitive person, and loving the way the old format of the top scoring II/III corps meeting up with the Div 1's in quarterfinals, I once asked someone why there were different sheets for the divisions, and I was given what I think was a great explanation. After thinking about it, I realized that the format of the sheets can really be used as an educational tool, and it made perfect sense to me.

The person told me that he was a high school math teacher, and taught 11th graders (algebra) and 12th graders (calculus). He said that he had exceptional students in both grades, but that although similar in that they were math classes, each of the classes had very different skills necessary to get an A.

So, he asked me, would it be appropriate to grade the algebra students by asking them to take a calculus exam?

Shouldn't the algebra students' achievements be measured by testing them on the skills they've learned to master?

In order for the calculus students to get an A, they generally need to have mastered the algebra skills, plus the additional skills necessary for them to do even more complex calculations.

Ever since I thought about this example, I realized that the Div II/III corps need to have a separate list of things that they would need to master, given their time commitment, etc. Rather than penalizing them for not keeping up with the Div I (calculus) corps, they have been given the chance to max out their own sheets.

I hope they do away with the II/III judge sheets as well.

Marketing - better alighment with Div I (World Class) means more likelyhood DCI will have a easier time marketing the product due to less explination needed to describe it.

It is a strech but sometimes the most simplest of ideologies can make the biggest impact.

No longer a sense of third.second class product, but rather open class or anything kinda goes product. May not affect the old timers who see this as a renaming but more for new fans to the activity.

It also helps from a recruitment standpoint which could equate to a growth in corps sizes and with more membership in each corps, it opens up new oppourtunities for many groups.

It will not happen overnight and will take time to grow this new market avenue. It is a bold new step and one that I hope works.

Edited by Jared315