Crown vs. Bluecoats in ‘07

glory

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually liked the MI aspect of the laser beams. Didn't think it was cheesy at all. And I'm usually quick to call things cheesy.
I didn't say cheesy. However, I don't think it was done well.... The only thing i can sort of compare it to was Madison's CG tying up their brass player and then freeing him. That was done much better and didn't seem to slow them down as much. Then again, it may be that my reaction is due to the fact that Blue added this CG move in later.

While I loved both shows, I preferred the Bluecoats.

Criminal was my favorite show of the year, and getting to see it live cemented that for me.

That being said, I think when a corps of that caliber gets SEVENTH(!!) then you know that this was an amazing year.

... it may be that my reaction is due to the fact that Blue added this CG move in later.

it was there pretty much the entire year, its just that the files were added in towards the end of the season. they used to crawl/flip/etc. through the lasers while the corps was in a scatter set, and eventually they just put the corps proper in 3 or 4 files for the guard to make their way through. neatened things up a lot, and made it a lot more realistic (criminals having to dodge one or two lasers each isnt much of a task, haha).

Crown's impacts were more refined. Blue's impacts were wonderful but were either watered down over the season or were burdened by additional music.

1. The music after the silent drill went on way too long.

2. The character moments in the ballad were often obscured.

3. The closing music was watered down way too much from the original score, removing the urgency.

Blue had a great show, but it just ran out of steam as it was designed.

[EDIT: Compare the insta-BLOOO! at San Antonio compared to Pasadena. Early and midseason Bluecoats was much more entertaining than Finals 'coats.]

Edited by Pinwiz

Crown's impacts were more refined.

1. The music after the silent drill went on way too long.

2. The character moments in the ballad were often obscured.

3. The closing music was watered down way too much from the original score, removing the urgency.

agreed. they made much better use of most of their show's impact moments. if youre using 'refined' as 'defined,' then i definitely agree....otherwise, im not quite as sure.

1. disagreed, i think, though you bring up an interesting point i suppose.

2. indifferent, honestly. when i watch the ballad, im listening to the music. im not usually much of a 'storyfollower' though. i THINK what you wrote was actually the point of the design there, but dont quote me on it. seeing it once i get the dvds would help.

3. agreed.

oh and theres no way the bluecoats show could have contended with crown for the spirit of disney, haha. crowns show was about ponies, and the bluecoats show had a risque seduction scene and someone got murdered by a police officer for catching his helmet that was thrown to her, after teasing him for a second or two. murdered.

if you gave mickey mouse a microphone and asked him which is better for kids to be watching, ponies or a german girl's boobs, i think he'd probably pick the first one. ...though i will say that many random fans across the country would probably beg to differ, considering the yells that took place during that segment. (hutchinson, KS, for example.) its pretty easy to discern the yelling of a voice belonging to an excited middle aged man.

ok, i think the amusement of the situation might be a little too personalized....im done now. its way too late to be rambling on dcp.

[EDIT: Compare the insta-BLOOO! at San Antonio compared to Pasadena. Early and midseason Bluecoats was much more entertaining than Finals 'coats.]

oh and whats an insta-blooo, can i microwave it and eat it when i dont feel like preparing a meal late at night?

As someone who was with Crown the whole season, I must admit I thought that we would beat SCV before the Coats.

Semis was the first time all season we had beaten the Coats..(and we didn't exactly shellac them either!)

Coats were a tasty corps with a great show, as was CC. I personally thought we would both be above SCV.

But, when 4th to 7th place is decided by mere tenths, anything can happen.

Edited by tubamann

I don't know, I loved the Bluecoats show from day 1...I loved it less by finals, I admit, I didn't think they should've watered down all the crazy horn licks, but they still had my favorite show, and brassline.

Crown's show didn't grab me at all for some reason. I liked their 06 show but this one just didn't grab me.

Of course, I'm completely about the music...I don't care at all about the storyline or whatever. So much so that I ALMOST payed more attention to the great baritone solo during the strip routine...and the horn hit in the middle, and the hornline licks right after were great too. I just loved Bloo's music, completely.

I dunno. I'm pretty indifferent to both shows.

I thought the narration in Crown's show was not necessary and quite honestly, I thought it ruined a really nice moment. I saw them alot before the narration was added in and the moment was really effective. I guess the design staff felt the need to hit us over the head and explain it to us. I was like, okay, we get it. We're watching a horse race. I wouldn't have figured it out on my own.

Bloo was typical bloo. Clean. Straightforward. Boring.