Crown vs. Bluecoats in ‘07

glory

Oh, by the way I also like Bloo's sound more than Crown's.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2007... 4-7 was anyone's game. For me, it should have been like this...

7th - SCV

6th - Regiment

5th - Bluecoats

4th - Crown

Either way... with .8 tenths total spread between 4th adn 7th... it was pretty much a 4-way tie.

This year, Crown and Bluecoats had crowd-pleasing shows that ultimately finished in a statistical dead heat. Yet one is generally acclaimed as a crowd favorite while praise for the other is more reserved.

Why do you think that is? These were two interesting, entertaining designs executed with similar results. We liked both brass sections. When each used narration, we thought they generally did it well. Where they diverged (Crown’s guard was better, Blooo’s drums were better), they tended mostly to offset. And yet most people I heard were quick to pick Triple Crown as a favorite and less effusive for Criminal and its many fine aspects.

I’d be interested in hearing what you think. Why did we love Crown so much this year? Why not Bluecoats instead?

HH

Its easier to "gush" about Crown show because(IMO) its more accessible and a little more "colorfull" I happen to think both Crown and Bluecoats presented their best shows ever in their history and love watching them over and over on the mid-seasons.

Both gave me goosebumps finals week and I wish both could have placed higher, all in all top seven were outstanding.

I think for me, I love Crown more because of how far they came from 2002's hideous "Medusa" show, and I bagged it so much, to totally beciming a solid appealing contender. I love their guard, they have been consistent for years and their brass sound is just brilliant to me. I also didnt embrace the briefcases as much as I would have liked, considering them to gimmicy. Yes some could call the horse race and horse movements gimmicy, but that was really imaginiative...again, just nit-picking, still a real enjoyable guard show from the Bluecoats.

~G~

And I really don't know why everyone was all hyped up on Crown's color guard. Yes, I admit they were fantastic, but IMHO Phantom, Cadets, and even the Blue Devils were better.

Crown's guard was much better than Phantom,Cadets, and BD this year. Crown's guard this year, and Cavie's guard in 06' were two incredible performances that make one take pause, and recognize these two shows as possibly being the best technical and performance power punches in colorguard history.

I also found Bluecoats this summer to be an outstanding package and I really enjoyed them. Entertainment value through the roof.

Many would disagree, but both corps were better than SCV

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

Crown's guard was much better than Phantom,Cadets, and BD this year. Crown's guard this year, and Cavie's guard in 06' were two incredible performances that make one take pause, and recognize these two shows as possibly being the best technical and performance power punches in colorguard history.

I also found Bluecoats this summer to be an outstanding package and I really enjoyed them. Entertainment value through the roof.

Agreed!!!!!!!!!

Crowns Guard takes the cake for me. I think they could have won if the corps placed a little higher. Its hard to win anything when the corps is in 6th place! Its hard to be 2nd for that matter, but they did! go crown.

but this years crown show will go down as one of the best outdoor colorguards i have ever seen!!

Not I. . .I am looking forward to the dvd's to see what I missed with SCV's show.

The music for Crown was a bit more accessible to the non-discerning ear. Everyone knows their music, including my mother-in-law who knows nothing if it wasn't first played on an FM station 20 years ago. Bloo's music was darker and not recognizable to someone who hasn't spent some time in music education as a student or teacher. Fiona Apple -- interesting, but still not quite recognizable to the mass audience. That had something to do with it, I think.

Other than that, I think Bloo's opening effect was cool, but Crown really featured the color guard from start to finish. They were the stars of the show, and they used some really different props to sell the theme. I'm pretty sure that's the last we'll see of white steeples on the field. With the horsey costumes and everything ... it was just a tad cleaner and easier to digest.

By comparison, Phantom's use of the easels was a creative stroke but unfortunately just looked clumsier from the stands than it actually was. Phantom did well, but there was too much visual complication there in the props to really sell it to the crowd.

Oh, one more thing: Crown had a good sense of humor throughout the show, and that's *always* appealing. Again, not at all knocking Bloo's show. I love it when a corps really nails a theme. Just answering the question.

Edited by Gaddabout